Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
April Meet?
6 December 2012, 18:05,
RE: April Meet?
I'm interested in this but can't commit fully due to work. I would be happy to pay some sort of deposit which I'm happy for none refundable (within reason Smile ) if I can't make it.

Wales would be a bit of a hike for me like.
6 December 2012, 18:28,
(6 December 2012, 18:05)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I'm interested in this but can't commit fully due to work. I would be happy to pay some sort of deposit which I'm happy for none refundable (within reason Smile ) if I can't make it.

Wales would be a bit of a hike for me like.

I understand it can be tricky trying to get days off etc this far in advance.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm nowhere near close enough to making this happen to accept deposits chap!

With regards to location, the place I had in mind in South Wales has shut down. I've contacted the owner to see if it's possible to hire the field anyway, just waiting on a response. There's plenty of time yet, I'll do my best to wangle a location for free. I will probably have to pitch us as Bushcrafters to get a land owner to consent. Asking him if he minds if 15 survivalists / preppers live in his field for the weekend might not work out too well!

If anyone knows of a decent location that we can go to, and not be disturbed by drunkards or youth then let me know!
6 December 2012, 19:35, (This post was last modified: 6 December 2012, 19:36 by NorthernRaider.)
Beardyman, I found a centralish place in Yorkshire that said it would welcome preppers and even set aside space for us to practice archery, Its a 3 star camp site with integral cafe and gorge walking, caving, pot holing facilities, Its remote though, public transport does go there but it could take over half a day to get there from a mainline railway station ( thats why its one of my BOLs)
http://www.howstean.co.uk
Oops FYI its about 6 miles north of Pately Bridge in Yorks

6 December 2012, 19:42,
Sounds good to me, except for the caving & pot holing. Easier to get to aswell for me. Don't know for other members further up north/down south.
6 December 2012, 19:56,
Can I bring my dog?
6 December 2012, 19:59, (This post was last modified: 6 December 2012, 20:00 by NorthernRaider.)
(6 December 2012, 19:42)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Sounds good to me, except for the caving & pot holing. Easier to get to aswell for me. Don't know for other members further up north/down south.

You dont have to pothole or cave or whatever, its just a campsite with good facilities , I think the chap running it said we could even have a camp fire.
(6 December 2012, 19:56)SealDriver Wrote: Can I bring my dog?

There was dogs there last time I was there. So Beardyman or who ever is organising RVs may be able to double check for you.

6 December 2012, 20:04,
Now to start bugging my mate to drive me up there.
The trains are too expensive...
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
6 December 2012, 20:10,
(6 December 2012, 20:04)Mandlaka Wrote: Now to start bugging my mate to drive me up there.
The trains are too expensive...

Seriously Mandy the location is an absolute bastard to get to even for car drivers ( thats why I like it) But by bus of train you have to get to Leeds, then pray for a train to Harrowgate, then a bus to Pately Bridge then a mini bus to Howstean. Its a major expedition and generally its to much for most folks from the SE to do, perhaps the WG in the west country may be more convenient?

6 December 2012, 20:32,
The April meet sounds a good idea, however... I think a few people - myself included - might be wary of turning up for a meet without knowing anyone other than just by these boards.
As a suggestion, at this time of year there are many Country Shows and Fairs. In April May there are ones in Nothhamptonshire, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Norwich, in fact all round the country.
If we were to arrange a informal meet, to just introduce ourselves to each other it might be a way of building friendships. There is always something of interest at these fairs, so even if we didn't like the look of each other, the day wouldn't be wasted.
We could then go on to exclusive meets once we are acquainted.
Just a thought.
Any comments?
Still Learning!
6 December 2012, 20:50,
(6 December 2012, 20:32)Rubismardi Wrote: The April meet sounds a good idea, however... I think a few people - myself included - might be wary of turning up for a meet without knowing anyone other than just by these boards.
As a suggestion, at this time of year there are many Country Shows and Fairs. In April May there are ones in Nothhamptonshire, Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Norwich, in fact all round the country.
If we were to arrange a informal meet, to just introduce ourselves to each other it might be a way of building friendships. There is always something of interest at these fairs, so even if we didn't like the look of each other, the day wouldn't be wasted.
We could then go on to exclusive meets once we are acquainted.
Just a thought.
Any comments?

to be fair in the opening post there was this line
Quote:I know some of you are more than hesitant about meeting others, and I understand the reason for OPSEC - so if you fall into that category then this obviously isn't for you.

some people may prefer your idea though