Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The naughty tesco post got me exploring.
6 December 2012, 18:32,
The naughty tesco post got me exploring.
Following on from the recent naughty tesco post regarding same products for way cheaper in different packaging & different sections of the store, I decided to go exploring in my local store.

I came across a 375g bag of dried soya mince. In my eyes it's basically freeze dried quorn type mince.

I don't know if their are many veggies on here (I'm certainly not) or, if like my mrs, doesn't like beef mince but at just over a quid a bag (think it was £1.40 or something) I thought I would give it a go.

When soaked it really bulks up & will easily last a few meals. Only downside is BB date of July next year. Well that & it's got no cow parts in it Smile

Most importantly though, I was able to make what was (in my eyes) a good, tasty meal that was very filling.

I used it to make a cheap, crude attempt at spag bol.

Tin of chopped toms - 30p or so
Onion - about 10p
Couple of carrots - about 15p
Stock cubes - pennies each
Tomato purée - 40p
A handful of soya mince - about 30p
Spaghetti - about 20p (didn't use a full pack)

For £1.50 or so, there was easily enough to feed 4 of us & the dog ate her share of leftovers aswell. It normally wouldve cost us that for the jar of sauce alone.

If anyone is like me and prepping on a budget (I suspect most, if not all of us) then I would recommend giving this soya mince a go if there is a tesco near you.
6 December 2012, 19:09,
RE: The naughty tesco post got me exploring.
(6 December 2012, 18:32)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Following on from the recent naughty tesco post regarding same products for way cheaper in different packaging & different sections of the store, I decided to go exploring in my local store.

I came across a 375g bag of dried soya mince. In my eyes it's basically freeze dried quorn type mince.

I don't know if their are many veggies on here (I'm certainly not) or, if like my mrs, doesn't like beef mince but at just over a quid a bag (think it was £1.40 or something) I thought I would give it a go.

When soaked it really bulks up & will easily last a few meals. Only downside is BB date of July next year. Well that & it's got no cow parts in it Smile

Most importantly though, I was able to make what was (in my eyes) a good, tasty meal that was very filling.

I used it to make a cheap, crude attempt at spag bol.

Tin of chopped toms - 30p or so
Onion - about 10p
Couple of carrots - about 15p
Stock cubes - pennies each
Tomato purée - 40p
A handful of soya mince - about 30p
Spaghetti - about 20p (didn't use a full pack)

For £1.50 or so, there was easily enough to feed 4 of us & the dog ate her share of leftovers aswell. It normally wouldve cost us that for the jar of sauce alone.

If anyone is like me and prepping on a budget (I suspect most, if not all of us) then I would recommend giving this soya mince a go if there is a tesco near you.

Thanks for this post Geordie_Rob,
I eat a lot of meat, but recently went over to Soya Mince in a big way, again because it is very cheap and can be used for many meals, not to mention the health benefits.

I tend to make a stock up and soak the soya mince in it for about 15 minutes before putting it into a meal.

Tofu is another soya product and is great as cut cubes in a stir fry.

Soy beans is the raw form and can be formed into many different foods. It can even be fermented with a pro-biotic to form a weird looking but very healthy food called Tempeh.

The wife and I will be putting together an article about 'Peasant Foods' of the world and their practical use for preppers. Throughout history ordinary people have survived and thrived on very basic cheap foods that store well, fill empty bellies and can be used in many different ways.

Soy and Rice are the king and queen of the Southern Hemisphere and feds billions of people from cradle to grave so the people at that end of the world must know a thing or too!Wink

We buy soya mince and bag it up in Mylar Bags with oxygen absorbers to give it a longer shelf life.Wink
6 December 2012, 19:10,
they are talking about building a new Tescos (31,000 sq.ft., 270 parking spaces ) about 8 miles from us, would be handy as our nearest Tesco's at the moment is 25 miles away.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 December 2012, 19:23,
SealDriver, I look forward to reading the article.

We have started trying to eat for less without losing the quality of food so any other ideas will be very welcome.

Bigpaul, while supermarkets generally consign small independent shops to the scrap heap, the savings are huge. I'm fortunate to live about half a mile away from my nearest Tesco.
6 December 2012, 19:41,
(6 December 2012, 19:23)Geordie_Rob Wrote: SealDriver, I look forward to reading the article.

We have started trying to eat for less without losing the quality of food so any other ideas will be very welcome.

Bigpaul, while supermarkets generally consign small independent shops to the scrap heap, the savings are huge. I'm fortunate to live about half a mile away from my nearest Tesco.

I agree with you G-R, Tescos like the other big stores are unstoppable, all we can do is use and benefit from the cheap food. I'm trying to get some recipes for 'millet' a traditional Japanese peasant food. We eat really well, it's just a case of putting tasty food and bland staple food together and chucking out the Western Food mentality. Saying that we can learn a lot from the Eastern Europeans with the their Rye/Black Bread, Pickles etc...

Yeah I hope that you get that Tescos 'Big Paul' and get looking for those bargins!
6 December 2012, 20:15,
Holland and barret do the mince aswel not sure what the shelf life is. Avoid the quorn/soya they sell tastes like rubber and even harder to chew.

I buy the frozen chicken pieces by quorn, absorbs the sources flavour better than real chicjen and its miles cheaper
6 December 2012, 20:26,
Holland & Barrett are too expensive mate. They take your eyes out & want the sockets aswell.

This tesco job tasted ok. Not a scratch on proper meat like but a handy substitute.
6 December 2012, 20:37,
Probably GM if US grown soya.Ok as bug in/out food given the circumstances.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
6 December 2012, 20:39, (This post was last modified: 6 December 2012, 20:40 by Geordie_Rob.)
I'm not fussed if its GM as long as it puts food in mine & my family's bellies post shtf
6 December 2012, 23:53, (This post was last modified: 6 December 2012, 23:55 by Tarrel.)
(6 December 2012, 20:39)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I'm not fussed if its GM as long as it puts food in mine & my family's bellies post shtf

If it's GM Soya, then it's probably "Roundup Ready". Monsanto modify the seed so that it is resistant to Roundup weedkiller. This means the farm can overspray the entire crop with Roundup (Glyphosate) to control weeds, rather than treating the weeds selectively. More efficient. End-result is Roundup in your food. Although it's generally regarded as low-toxicity to humans, there have been reports that it can cause problems as a result of chronic, long-term exposure. (Birth defects, for example).

Personally, I will not knowingly eat any product containing GM soya or corn oil, for this reason.

p.s. Your spag bol sounds like a great meal to me. Nutritionally balanced, tasty and cheap. What more could one ask?
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.