Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Useful Vaccinations
31 July 2013, 09:53,
RE: Useful Vaccinations
Yup the primary risk in the pre anti biotic period was very often tetanus often picked up from the mot inocious of accidents such a getting a scrath of a blackberry bush, a nick to your finger filleting fish, open calouses and blisters through hard manual work, rope burn, anything that broke the skin was a risk. That would be my number one the rest I'm not certain about but measles would not go amiss, mumps and rubella for the women. Poor hygiene and poor diet after TSHTF are going to make us suceptable to infection after THTF

31 July 2013, 13:51,
Tetanus - yes. That's a basic, and I make sure to keep up to date with that.

For me, cholera is also basic. While Highlander is 100% right in that these diseases were largely eradicated here before the vaccines, as a historian I know that they were eradicated by sophisticated sewage and plumbing systems (thank you, Mr Bazelguette!) and later by the chlorination of water. Post SHTF these things will disappear, and even the cleanest stream that runs by your house may have dead animals and humans floating in it. Post SHTF we will have nothing to rely on but ourselves, and the precautions we've seen fit to take.

Or not.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but in defence I can only say this. Before I started prepping seriously I sometimes talked about what we might do - and heard a lot of arguments along the lines of 'you'll never need it', 'it won't help much', 'if things are that bad, what difference will it make?' If I'd listened to those people I wouldn't be a prepper now.

But I am, and if there's something I can do now for zero cost that will give me a chance of a greater edge after SHTF then I'm going to do it. I have loads of gear stashed that I hope I'm never going to need - but I'm stashing it all the same. Since I've found out cholera and typhoid vaccines are free, I want to share that knowledge with those friends here who might approach these things the same way.

We're all free to choose.
31 July 2013, 14:06, (This post was last modified: 31 July 2013, 14:20 by NorthernRaider.)
Ref Cholera from the Care Website
Cholera Q and A
Tuesday, 28 August 2012 11:30
As cholera claims lives in Sierra Leone find out more about the disease from our water and sanitation expert, Jason Snuggs.
What causes a cholera outbreak?
Cholera is an acute intestinal infection caused by ingestion of food or water contaminated with the bacterium Vibrio cholerae. Outbreaks are likely to occur in overcrowded communities that have little access to safe or protected water, inadequate sanitation and toilets and poor personal hygiene. Cholera is, unfortunately, often a disease of the poor and marginalised. Many outbreaks occurred in the poor areas of London during the mid-1800’s and Dr John Snow, now regarded as the father of public health, was the first person to succeed in ending an outbreak of cholera.

He did this by removing the handle of a water pump in Broad Street that had been contaminated. That hand pump is still there today!

Why does cholera kill so quickly?
Cholera is a fast acting disease with a short incubation period of a few hours to a few days. A person with a severe case of cholera can go from having no symptoms to death within just a few hours. Unlike other diarrhoeal diseases, the cholera toxin has the ability to cause not just ordinary diarrhoea but very acute watery diarrhoea either with or without vomiting. The profuse diarrhoea which has the appearance of rice water means a person can lose 10-20 litres of fluid per day, resulting in rapid dehydration. It’s this rapid dehydration that ultimately leads to death if effective treatment isn’t quickly given.

How many countries are affected by cholera each year?
In 2011, a total of 589,854 cases were reported from 58 countries, including 7,816 deaths. However many more cases are likely to have occurred but health facilities in low income countries are often unable to properly diagnose or report cases. The stigma around cholera means countries are fearful of trade and travel sanctions and will often not report cholera cases. The true burden of the disease is estimated to be 3–5 million cases and 100,000–120,000 deaths each year. While these are significant numbers it’s worth remembering that diarrhoeal diseases, of which cholera is just one of many, remain the second leading cause of death for children under five years old, killing more than 1.5 million children every year, 80 per cent of whom are less than 2 years old.

When was the last case of cholera in the UK?
The last indigenous case of cholera in England and Wales was reported in 1893 although occasional imported cases do occur. However the risk of an outbreak in the UK is very small due to modern sanitation, treated water supplies, and high standards of food hygiene.

How can cholera be prevented?
In many countries, cholera is endemic. Preventing cholera in the long-term requires sustained improvements in water and sanitation infrastructure so that communities have access to sufficient quantities of clean drinking water and adequate sanitation and toilets. Communities also need to practice safe hygiene behaviour and have the means to maintain those behaviours over time.

In an emergency situation like Sierra Leone when an outbreak has been detected, the usual intervention strategy is to reduce deaths by ensuring prompt access to treatment, and to control the spread of the disease by providing safe water, proper sanitation and health education for improved hygiene and safe food handling practices by the community.

The provision of safe water and sanitation is often extremely difficult, but remains the critical factor in reducing the impact of cholera. The challenge is to act quickly so that the cholera outbreak doesn’t spread further.

How can cholera be treated?
80 per cent of cholera cases can be treated by just using Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS), which is essentially clean water with a little sugar and salt. It’s cheap and very effective. Very severely dehydrated patients require intravenous fluids and antibiotics to diminish the duration and impact of diarrhoea.

Are you testing people for cholera?
In most cases acute watery diarrhoea is being treated as if it were cholera. Confirmation of cholera cases is a matter for the Sierra Leone government and the World Health Organisation.

Are you vaccinating people for cholera?
Although there is a vaccine available for cholera, the most effective way to prevent the spread of the disease is to ensure clean drinking water, good sanitation and treatment of those with acute watery diarrhoea.

So my approach ( NR) is going to be my original hygiene protocols that I got slated for as being excessive, and as an extra precaution I shall double the amount of Diorolite sachets I keep in my caches and kits.

I still believe its going to be strenious and rigourously enforced hygiene protocols within and outside the home and retreat that will keep the preppers safe, and that STILL includes keeping vermin controls rigid and not allowing dogs and cats indoors. Thats going to be my health opsec I'm no longer interested in trying to rationalise this issue with irrational people who put animal welfare ahead of human welfare.

A list of DIY rehydration drinks for cholera are on the web like this article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

Best laid plans etc http://uk.news.yahoo.com/salad-blamed-pa...ml#LdThXWq

31 July 2013, 17:41,
If Cholera and Typhoid are free, does anyone know how long they last for, and when it does expire, is it another full jab, or simply a boaster.

I am just thinking about small medical practices like ours where everyone knows everyone else,.. we could say we want them because we are thinking of a holiday in Africa, but that wouldn't work if we needed a jab every year
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 July 2013, 19:41,
(31 July 2013, 17:41)Highlander Wrote: If Cholera and Typhoid are free, does anyone know how long they last for, and when it does expire, is it another full jab, or simply a boaster.

Good question.

The cholera vaccine should last two years, after which a booster is required. The way I'm feeling about the future of this country I'm having mine right now.

The typhoid varies according to which type of vaccine you have. The V1 (which is a jab rather than a tablet) lasts for three years, but the Ty21a lasts only a year before you need a booster.

Very good point about the small medical practice (I have a similar problem) but in the unlikely event of your needing to go again in a couple of years time there are many more countries you could be visiting. It doesn't need to be Africa both times...

I don't really know why I'm twitching so much about this, but I've got a real sense of urgency suddenly that I can't make go away. I've been quiet on here lately because I've been prepping (literally) as if there's no tomorrow, but it does feel good to be among people who understand.
31 July 2013, 22:05,
(31 July 2013, 19:41)Little Lou Wrote: I don't really know why I'm twitching so much about this, but I've got a real sense of urgency suddenly that I can't make go away. I've been quiet on here lately because I've been prepping (literally) as if there's no tomorrow, but it does feel good to be among people who understand.

Go with your instincts they are rarely wrong.

1 August 2013, 14:16,
Cholera Vaccine Dukoral is ORAL. You mix up some granules with a liquid.
Protection for 3 years - Shelf Life 3 years

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dukoral-v...14002.html

You might get it from your doctor or you could get a private prescription.
Costs if you have to pay £32 for the two doses required.

Dont know about Typhoid
2 August 2013, 17:59,
Whatever vaccines you and your family members take, it's a good idea to set up a spread sheet on the computer listing the family member, the disease, the date the vaccine was administered, and the date a "booster" vaccine is due. Don't trust your doctor's staff to take care of your lives - do this yourself!
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!