Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should a walking stick be part of your survival gear ??
9 December 2012, 22:41,
RE: Should a walking stick be part of your survival gear ??
I used to walk with a cane, and got some very strange looks by passers by. Although this could be because of the 3 piece suit, pocket watch w/ chain and fedora that accompanied it Big Grin
But yes, I still have one and it is certainly coming with me when shtf.
10 December 2012, 01:03, (This post was last modified: 10 December 2012, 01:11 by uks.)
Always had a staff, started when i was salmon fishing crossing and wading in big scottish rivers used it as a third leg and probe. Now a days it is an aid when walking, defence or attack. Plus also used to put up shelters. Mine is fitted with a sling so that if need be i can work with both hands and i dont leave it behind. I use a homemade sling out of paracord.
Found this http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/staff.htm
this maybe of some interest
http://www.quarterstaff.org/index.html
Failure is NOT an option
10 December 2012, 11:57,
I can't see myself with a walking stick or staff......unless crossing a river. But I'll just get one from a wooded area or something like that.

I see the benefits for the basha construction, but again...I'll pick that up from the woods as of and when I need one.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 December 2012, 13:54,
Always fancied a nice victorian sword caneBig Grin very classy and very effective
12 December 2012, 20:53,
(10 December 2012, 13:54)Tartar Horde Wrote: Always fancied a nice victorian sword caneBig Grin very classy and very effective

There not that effective mate i use to have an antique one i got off my uncle. sword canes are designed as thrusting/jabbing type instrument not for cutting or slashing. if you watch the new sherlock holmes film mine was identical to the one watson uses, apparently given to officers in who fought in the afgan war.

most ive seen and the one i owned were a fairly soft metal and basic, more of a pointed stick than a proper sword. I kept mine for purely because it looked cool on my wall but it offered very little in practical terms because the blade was so soft with no real edge. You can get decent ones but they tend to be bespoke one offs and will cost loads. I would rather stick with a good kukri or parang and a pair of lightweight telescopic walking sticks.

Gary
12 December 2012, 22:05,
Me mam had one, dont remember it but she didnt realise it was a sword till she was shown it when selling it. Only time I have seen one wasin the pub I worked at and some prat started to wave it about.
12 December 2012, 22:20,
I am a sword collector,...or I was until a few years ago,.. I still have quite a lot,... but I am not sure I would want to fight with many of them,... very unwealdy if you are untrained,..and a couple I have are as heavy as hell
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 December 2012, 23:28,
Walking sticks take massive pressure off your knees when walking, especially when carrying a rucksack, so yes, they are a good idea.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
13 December 2012, 12:22,
(12 December 2012, 22:20)Highlander Wrote: I am a sword collector,...or I was until a few years ago,.. I still have quite a lot,... but I am not sure I would want to fight with many of them,... very unwealdy if you are untrained,..and a couple I have are as heavy as hell
That's the key right there TRAINING! I train weekly in HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts) and cut regularly with swords, for someone untrained they can be lethal.
I suggest for anyone wanting more information on European style fighting techniques to check out ARMA first. They have lots of instructional videos and explain the historical perspective behind various sword types very well. If you want to go into the subject a bit deeper you could read anything by Ewart Oakeshott, who before his death was considered the World authority on sword typology and development.
If anyone is thinking about buying a sword I would check out Sword Buyers Guide. They have some great reviews of swords they have tested (some to destruction) and also some horror stories of cheap swords that have failed during use, highly recommended site.
and finally if you want to check out some sword made the old fashioned way by a master check out Castle Keep swords (rob Miller) isle of skye.
It would be great to have more discussions on this subject as the use of bladed tools/weapons have always played a part in preppers lives, whether it be your favourite old pen knife or that cherished historical piece.