Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Two Way Radio for Preppers
10 December 2012, 16:58,
RE: Simple Two Way Radio for Preppers
(10 December 2012, 16:42)BeardyMan Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 16:27)Lightspeed Wrote: Is the antenna is pre-tuned?

As far as I am aware, yes, they do come pre-tuned. I think you can get a swr meter for a few quid off the same seller, just to check.

Bit of a problem with SWR meters for these radios BM.

Firstly the connectors are SMA ( very tiny) and special leads would have to be made up.

Secondly SWR meters for VHF AND UHF are fairly expensive to purchase.

Best bet for non technical folk is to just stick to the antenna that comes with the radio.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

10 December 2012, 17:02,
(10 December 2012, 16:58)Lightspeed Wrote:

As far as I am aware, yes, they do come pre-tuned. I think you can get a swr meter for a few quid off the same seller, just to check.

Firstly the connectors are SMA ( very tiny) and special leads would have to be made up.

Best bet for non technical folk is to just stick to the antenna that comes with the radio.

Didn't realise that chap, thanks for the clarification!

You've just saved me a few quid too Big Grin
10 December 2012, 17:17,
(10 December 2012, 17:02)BeardyMan Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 16:58)Lightspeed Wrote:

Didn't realise that chap, thanks for the clarification!

You've just saved me a few quid too Big Grin

.......although those of us with the gear will help where we can, once the system is sorted it's sorted. PM me if you need help - open to all Big Grin
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
17 January 2013, 21:51,
(10 December 2012, 16:19)BeardyMan Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 16:19)Highlander Wrote: Does anyone know if there are better antennas that will fit the Baofeng uv-r5?

Nagoya 77 twig:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGOYA-NL-77B-...4ab82933b7

Hi BM,.. did you ever use this antenna,... if so can you give me a report on it please,..I will purchase two if you think they are any good. Where did you get yours from?, I can only find them abroad, mainly Hong Kong,.. I dont mind buying from there is they are of some use
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 January 2013, 11:44,
(17 January 2013, 21:51)Highlander Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 16:19)BeardyMan Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 16:19)Highlander Wrote: Does anyone know if there are better antennas that will fit the Baofeng uv-r5?

Nagoya 77 twig:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGOYA-NL-77B-...4ab82933b7

Hi BM,.. did you ever use this antenna,... if so can you give me a report on it please,..I will purchase two if you think they are any good. Where did you get yours from?, I can only find them abroad, mainly Hong Kong,.. I dont mind buying from there is they are of some use

Hi,

No, I ordered the 774 - which has the wrong attachment, so now I'm struggling to find an SMA male to female connector.

I've just this second ordered this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGOYA-NA-774M...33778ad9fd

which should do the job nicely. Seen reports on the UV-5R forum that these boost your distance by a good 40 - 50%
21 January 2013, 21:11,
Thank you BM..
4 March 2013, 19:05,
(21 January 2013, 11:44)BeardyMan Wrote: No, I ordered the 774 - which has the wrong attachment, so now I'm struggling to find an SMA male to female connector.

Bm,.. did you ever find a connecter for the 774?, I have gone and done the same thing
5 March 2013, 09:55,
Thank you for alerting us to the compatibility issue. Looking on e-bay we can see the connector we need for our new UV5rs and have ordered the SMC to BNC versions.

We've chosen BNC as it will allow attachment BNC aerials, or BNC plug terminated coaxial cable to a car magmount and other static mounted remote aerials.
conscius et paratum
5 March 2013, 18:22,
I couldnt be sure of the adapter to order, so I have arranged with Sinotel to talk to a guy called Alan tomorrow
5 March 2013, 21:33,
I bought 2 adaptors for my UV5R: SMAto BNC so I can plug in my RH770 portable antenna and a SMAto PL259 so I can attach the radio to my rooftop antenna, these 2 plus the original one that came with the radio give me plenty of options and all work well. The rooftop (Diamond x300) has about 8db of gain so I can get my signal out quite a way and pick up distant signals easily.
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine