Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Two Way Radio for Preppers
5 March 2013, 21:38,
RE: Simple Two Way Radio for Preppers
(5 March 2013, 21:33)gary5wift Wrote: I bought 2 adaptors for my UV5R: SMAto BNC so I can plug in my RH770 portable antenna and a SMAto PL259 so I can attach the radio to my rooftop antenna, these 2 plus the original one that came with the radio give me plenty of options and all work well. The rooftop (Diamond x300) has about 8db of gain so I can get my signal out quite a way and pick up distant signals easily.

Interesting post Gary,..thanks
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 March 2013, 14:06,
Just to clarify, both of the antennas purchased were pre tuned and didn't need any adjustment. Just to be sure one of the guys at our local club tested them with his antenna analyser and confirmed that both were correctly tuned for both VHF and UHF.
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
13 March 2013, 07:57,
(21 January 2013, 11:44)BeardyMan Wrote:
(17 January 2013, 21:51)Highlander Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 16:19)BeardyMan Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 16:19)Highlander Wrote: Does anyone know if there are better antennas that will fit the Baofeng uv-r5?

Nagoya 77 twig:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGOYA-NL-77B-...4ab82933b7

Hi BM,.. did you ever use this antenna,... if so can you give me a report on it please,..I will purchase two if you think they are any good. Where did you get yours from?, I can only find them abroad, mainly Hong Kong,.. I dont mind buying from there is they are of some use

Hi,

No, I ordered the 774 - which has the wrong attachment, so now I'm struggling to find an SMA male to female connector.

I've just this second ordered this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGOYA-NA-774M...33778ad9fd

which should do the job nicely. Seen reports on the UV-5R forum that these boost your distance by a good 40 - 50%

WARNING: In the context of using UV5R radios for PMR frequencies the Nagoya after market antennas mentioned here are not 100% suitable.

The antenna that comes with the UV5R is matched to the frequency range of the radio. This is a very wide range indeed, and includes the PMR446 frequencies. The Nagoya and many other after market antennas are tuned ( matched) to the Amateur frequencies.

This means that on the whole these aftermarket antennas will have poor SWR matching at PMR446 and Marine Band frequencies. This will both limit transmitted power, impede reception. Transmitting outside of the antenna's designed frequency ranges will result in mismatch with the radio's output transistors and this will tend to shorten the life considerably.

There is one Thai seller operating on e-bay who is selling telescopic antennas that are tuned specifically for PMR446. I have tested these and they work very efficiently, and at these frequencies, considerably more efficiently than the antenna that came with the radio. However they are only suitable for PMR446 frequencies, and are more fragile than the standard antenna. For peace of mind, I stick with the supplied one most of the time.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

13 March 2013, 10:35,
Thanks LS - I wasn't aware of that, the RX of PMR446 is ok but I did just test TX with amateur frequencies. Worth bearing in mind. Smile
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
13 March 2013, 11:06,
Good to see you're still here Gary. Hope all is going well with your preparations.

Look inside the connector of the stock antenna, some of them show the design frequency ranges.

Mine shows: 136 -174 / 400-480 Mhz This antenna is SWR matched for PMR446, Marine and Ham frequencies. For my needs this is perfect.

Aftermarket antennas like the Nagoya 774 is specified for just the ham bands 144Mhz and 430 Mhz. This means that Marine band and PMR446 are not covered.

73 de

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 March 2013, 16:16,
Thank you for the heads up on this Jon, I'll look out for that. I'm still around but laying low as they say.

Mr tax man gave me an unexpected refund so I've invested in a Kenwood V71E as my main rig and hooked it up to a Diamond x300 antenna. I can get contacts out as far as the east coast and well over in to the pennines on VHF simplex @ 10W with this set up so I'm really pleased with it and I've got the option of using upto 50W if I ever need it. I've also programmed in repeaters to get out further when needed and just for the fun of it. I'm building myself a portable colinear to use with our tourer caravan and will be getting a mobile antenna for the car when funds allow. I still carry the Boafeng with me when out and about and it does give me wider TX possibilities than the V71E.

When I can afford it i want to add a decent HF rig to my set up but in the meantime I'm using the rigs at the local amateur radio club, so I'm learning loads and the members are really great - they are really willing to share their skills and experience to help newcomers progress. Some of the old boys have some good tales to tell. The guy who teaches morse at the club was transmitting at 30wpm from France in 1944, so he knows his stuff Smile

73 de G5
73 de
OSR

14 March 2013, 16:50,
G5

Nice present from the tax man! Wow, I envy you. The V71 is the rig with inbuilt echo link capability I think? Excellent.

Yes, if you're lucky, many of the old boys have amazing tales to tell, and a lot of life experience about surviving the sort of hard and dangerous times we are all trying to prepare for.

Cheers n beers

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580