Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow
10 December 2012, 19:34,
Bow
Are 25lb draw weight "family bows" for £35 decent enough for hunting?
10 December 2012, 19:36,
RE: Bow
Just to advise mate, any bow hunting is illegal in the UK. Bloody mp's spoil all our fun Smile
10 December 2012, 20:01,
in regards 2 bow hunting 35lb to 45lb should be sufficient for most animals, 25lb should be fine for small animals, however im not much of an authorit on bow hunting xD
10 December 2012, 20:08,
i will be looking at bows for small creature hunting after SHTF (not sure about bigger game assuming that there will be any) but also for dealing with the bipedal vermin that may be in undesired abundance after SHTF. So it looks like most of us will need a number of bows of differing weights due to having different needs in mind.
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
11 December 2012, 10:09,
yes, thats right, i have 2 long bows for hunting post SHTF but i also have 2 smaller "survival" bows as well, you'd be surprised what you can pick up at Markets, car boots and garage sales ! also check out Ebay.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 December 2012, 13:09,
45lb is ample for anything that walks in the UK. However I would like to add that all the Archers I know (me included) shoot the most powerful bows we can handle. Shooting bows with different draw weights means you have to learn a whole lot of different aiming points, as differing bows will have different trajectories regarding your arrows. Start out with a lightweight bow and work your way up till you find the most comfortable draw weight. Most adult males can shoot a 45-50lb bow comfortably with a bit of training. With regards to hunting with a bow I would again suggest using the most powerful bow you can handle as your arrows will have more energy at the target and your holdover/under will be reduced due to increased arrow speed. I have used a bow for its intended purpose for over twenty years now and have harvested most things that walk or fly, but you take the risk upon your own head. A point about small game is that I would NEVER use broadheads as in my experience they just tear up the quarry. I use Bodkins on my shafts for all small feathered/fur, they are quite heavy and have good energy transfer, blunts are also good for small game and even on a 45lb bow you will get "pass through" at close range. If you want to use broadheads on your shafts I would use the TRI-Bladed types as the conventional types can "plane" in wind thus effecting accuracy. If you must use broadheads on your shafts be prepared to lose a lot through damage, if you are practicing with them (as you should) you will end up damaging them.
PS I have some tri bladed screw in points for alloy shafts somewhere I might consider trading if I can dig them out lol