Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canning
13 December 2012, 23:33,
RE: Canning
(13 December 2012, 23:19)Bjm Wrote: Hi
While living in Bulgaria (in the country) canning was a normal way of storing food,along with salting and smoking. we were shown
and practiced these methods of preserving.
Canning was done with jars,using a large pan on a tripod over a small fire. No pressure cookers, To these families this is a way of
life. nothing technical or expensive needed.

If you can remember the way that they did it all, I am sure we would be interested to know
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 December 2012, 01:48, (This post was last modified: 14 December 2012, 02:06 by Bjm.)
Thanks Highlander, I kept notes on everything and will look them up and do a small write-up this week-end.
Hi, Some other things of interest that we were taught and done were, after slaughtering a pig we used the pig fat to make oil for cooking, and soap, also making wine without yeast using 45 gallon containers, also how to make rakia, a very strong spirit for drinking, cleaning and lighting fires with. lol i kid you not
14 December 2012, 08:53,
Sounds like a few good write-ups coming,.. look forward to them
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 December 2012, 09:40,
sounds very interesting and I too will be looking forward to them
14 December 2012, 19:59,
(14 December 2012, 01:48)Bjm Wrote: Thanks Highlander, I kept notes on everything and will look them up and do a small write-up this week-end.
Hi, Some other things of interest that we were taught and done were, after slaughtering a pig we used the pig fat to make oil for cooking, and soap, also making wine without yeast using 45 gallon containers, also how to make rakia, a very strong spirit for drinking, cleaning and lighting fires with. lol i kid you not

Now this is very interesting indeed and shows a 'holistic' approach to prepping. Using what you have at hand, finding various uses for what you have and passing that information on. This is how people used to live and educate others of their family, tribe, village and community.

14 December 2012, 20:51,
(13 December 2012, 23:19)Bjm Wrote: Hi
While living in Bulgaria (in the country) canning was a normal way of storing food,along with salting and smoking. we were shown
and practiced these methods of preserving.
Canning was done with jars,using a large pan on a tripod over a small fire. No pressure cookers, To these families this is a way of
life. nothing technical or expensive needed.

Hi bjm, bdg, is there any chance of a quick how too on that subject?
My knowledge goes as far as boiling the stuff in the jar in the pan then when its boiling itself you wop the lid on....

Is that right?
anybody got a tutorial or any sort of step by step?

The pressure cooker way seems a bit more difficult rather than the open pan way...

I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
14 December 2012, 22:17,
BJM,

When you write them up post them on the main site rather than the forum.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin