Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Changes are afoot
12 December 2012, 19:47,
RE: Changes are afoot
I must admit, that I would much prefer a strict prepping forum,..I want to know about, read about, and learn about prepping,... that doesnt make me someone who doesnt like a joke from time to time, but a thread about a certain prepping subject should remain on thread,...its often very frustration for people, especialy new people who find the courage to ask a question who return the next day to find one good answer and ten none jokey answers.

I agree that political event should be talked about in the correct place, i.e. under `threats and risks`,... even if they are repeated, for everyone here who posts there are a hundred who just read,.. so there will always be people wanting to know things,.. even if they have been talked about for years

A good forum is a forum where the posters regulate themselves, if we want a good forum then its mainly up to us, if we can self regulate then there is no need for moderating
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 December 2012, 20:19,
good point HL i for one do get side tracked and make jokes ,and then cant remember wot the post was about point taken dudes
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
13 December 2012, 13:31,
I never said Lonely Preppers.

In every forum there will be people that are just online because they're lonely. They just happened to find this forum, but have no interest in prepping. If they're a lonely prepper, they should stay. But people that start conversation waffling about twiddle, that then continue speaking about nothing prep related.....good bye.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
13 December 2012, 17:23,
I read the notice of changes and have also read the comments and the entire thread here.

I belong to several "prepper" forums and have found that the best of them do limit the input of the members to related topics and monitor the thread integrity closely. The most successful and informative forum I belong too has a strict NO RELIGION/NO POLITICS rule and after a warning they do not hesitate to sanction violators. When it comes to either topic there are some that do not know when to shut up and walk away.

If one wants topics to remain valid and stay on course then personal attacks are never allowable. They instantly change the focus of the thread from valid to invalid.

As for gaining membership and the "core group" running the threads, that will always be the case. I am a pensioner and during these cold wet snaps I spend a great deal of time on the computer. I do not speak much here but I do on other boards and I find that I have developed friendships that span oceans and continents. In many cases it is with a core group on a forum site that would otherwise be dead were it not for a half dozen pensioners with experience and practical knowledge of everything from canning food to skinning road kill.

Membership numbers is not all one would think it shoud be. "Members" often register to ask a single question and never return to check the thread for answers. On many foprums the list of people with only a dozen posts outnumber all other groups. Some forums even delete membershiop after no posts have been made for a year. Membership numbers mean nothing in reguard to quality of the information on the site.
13 December 2012, 23:08,
True enough. Thats why I usually don't talk about membership numbers unless it is just my yearly round up.

We have a few core members on here but I have found several others have provided some really valuable input over the last year or so.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 December 2012, 13:20,
Where'd the "Thanks" button vamoosh to?
14 December 2012, 15:14,
(14 December 2012, 13:20)BeardyMan Wrote: Where'd the "Thanks" button vamoosh to?

And now it's back! Big Grin

It did disappear didn't it? Or do my eyes need re-grinding again?? Huh
14 December 2012, 15:27,
Had a problem with the server last night and the Thanks had disappeared and I didn't notice. I've reenabled it now.

Any other issues let me know.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 December 2012, 21:31,
(14 December 2012, 15:27)Skean Dhude Wrote: Had a problem with the server last night and the Thanks had disappeared and I didn't notice. I've reenabled it now.

When it did disapear, there was an EDIT button in its place,.... now that was a very welcome sight,... but then it went,.. sigh!!, and EDIT button would be nice
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 December 2012, 23:24,
(14 December 2012, 21:31)Highlander Wrote:
(14 December 2012, 15:27)Skean Dhude Wrote: Had a problem with the server last night and the Thanks had disappeared and I didn't notice. I've reenabled it now.

When it did disapear, there was an EDIT button in its place,.... now that was a very welcome sight,... but then it went,.. sigh!!, and EDIT button would be nice

Yeah, I agree 100%. Edit would be handy. Even if its only for 2 minutes or something