Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade broadheads
14 December 2012, 17:22,
RE: Homemade broadheads
In my area we have a difficult time finding stone fit for working. Many areas are the same, worldwide.

There are several materials that one can salvage and knapp into fine points and blades.

The bottoms of bottles work well. They are usually thicker than the sides.

Flat sided bottles for whisky or spirits offer and excellent scource. There is an endless supply available in most areas.

Old Fasioned TV screens are good thick glass that knapps into excellent points.

Porcelain from old toilets and laveratories will knapp well.

That is all material one would need if the supply of sheet metal from washing machines, auto body pannels and steel oil drums dries up in 20,000 years.

The most important tool one can own for making points is a good pair of tin snips.
14 December 2012, 18:18,
no flint in this area, its all granite and clay and peat, i think there may be some in East Devon, NW Devon is all Culm Meadow: very rough ground, with reeds and moorland, mostly hill farms around here.i suppose i could use tin instead, is tin from cans any good or do i need to use more industrial metal?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 December 2012, 18:45,
there is loads of flint down here trip over the bloody stuff
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
14 December 2012, 19:03,
Tin from cans is too thin it will deform on impact, but with a good pair of snips like proposed on earlier post you have no end of possibilities.
14 December 2012, 19:04,
(14 December 2012, 18:45)Barneyboy Wrote: there is loads of flint down here trip over the bloody stuff

oh yeah im in norfolk
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
14 December 2012, 19:07,
(14 December 2012, 18:18)bigpaul Wrote: no flint in this area, its all granite and clay and peat, i think there may be some in East Devon, NW Devon is all Culm Meadow: very rough ground, with reeds and moorland, mostly hill farms around here.i suppose i could use tin instead, is tin from cans any good or do i need to use more industrial metal?
I suggested using segments cut from knives because older knives from charity shops are knife grade carbon steel.A beaten spoon,though a good idea because the shape is suggestive of a broad-head,is stamped from any old sheet metal.Stanley knife blades could have durability issues.I'm thinking that knife-thickness broad-heads take and retain an edge,are durable,and probably aid the aerodynamics being equivalent in weight to a commercial broad-head.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
15 December 2012, 11:53,
(14 December 2012, 19:04)Barneyboy Wrote:
(14 December 2012, 18:45)Barneyboy Wrote: there is loads of flint down here trip over the bloody stuff

oh yeah im in norfolk
Great Flint countryBig Grin I was down at Hevingham earlier this year doing a bit of fishing, regarding flint and Norfolk, one of the biggest Neolithic Flint mines is Grimes Caves in Norfolk, some of the best flint in the UK. NO EXCUSES NOW
15 December 2012, 12:18,
I just scan read this thread so if I mention something already posted I apologise, I've done a bit of arrow head making, you can use just about anything to hand the only thing that restricts you is your imagination.
traditionaly: hardwoods, bone and flint
A modern alternative to flint is glass, loads of demos on you tube and a great way to practice napping.
This is one of many, not that hard a skill just needs practice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7pc2Q6XFI

As far as keeping things simple and an abundant supply, 45 gallon oil drums, the mild steel they are made from is just over 1mm thick easy to work with hacksaw, file, jigsaw or grinder to make into any shape you want.
Thinking outside the box hard plastics from car bumpers wings ect, supprisingly effective, against flesh anyway!
15 December 2012, 14:44,
Jigging is more precise than angle-grinding and can easily attain any shape you desire,though not so easily on stainless steel due to its greater hardness.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
15 December 2012, 16:19,
What angle tip is best for a broadhead? I might see if I can get some lasered at work and what would be the best thickness we stock 20g/1.0mm, 18g/1.2mm, 16g/1.5mm, 14g/2.0mm, 12g/2.5mm, 10g/3.0mm 304 stainless steel. If they'll let me do it I'll get a price for a batch buy.

UF