Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade broadheads
15 December 2012, 17:26, (This post was last modified: 15 December 2012, 17:27 by Prepper1.)
RE: Homemade broadheads
Have you seen those lazer guided broadheads on ebay!!!
bit dear at £59 quids but really....[Image: $T2eC16dHJHwE9n8ii+ILBQw6pFWUL!~~60_35.JPG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASER-BROADHEA...20ce0664e9
Well I should rephrase that not laser guided laser pointing I should say....
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
15 December 2012, 17:32,
Work from flat sheet-metal and if you have access to press try different angles based on commercial broad-head illustrations.-2.0-2.5 mild steel.Even give the 3.0 ss a go though I find ss doesn't sharpen as well as mild steel.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
16 December 2012, 00:52,
I think the thinnest mild we keep is 3mm, I was thinking of 3mm stainless cut to shape then put an edge on it with the linnisher (belt sander) although mild would be easier to maintain once you've initially sharpened it. I'll see what I can come up with.
16 December 2012, 05:13,
You need to check into the arrowcard.

http://www.dirttimeforum.com/index.php?topic=2022.0
16 December 2012, 11:34,
That's cool. I'm not promising anything as I've got to get the ok at work but that's a really basic design, I'm sure I could get better than that sorted. I'll get a trial done in 16g (1.5mm) for cheapness and see how it turns out.
16 December 2012, 16:08,
Note that on the arrowcard there is a knife blade section to assist in construction of the arrow. There is also a simicircular scraper slot to scrape the arrowshaft round, and a section of saw to assist in making notches.

The size is specifically selected to fit inside an Altoids can, which I am not certain you have over there. I have to send them to a couple of friends in the Midlands. The Altoids tin is a popular container among U,S. scroungers.

It also comes in a necklace version with only one broadhead.
16 December 2012, 16:27,
You can make a real neat looking broadhead by cutting down the middle of a conventional field point, and inserting the blade into it, and securing by epoxy, or even solder, and the bonus is the field point is already tapered to fit your shaft.
16 December 2012, 19:28, (This post was last modified: 16 December 2012, 19:41 by Prepper1.)
(16 December 2012, 16:27)Tartar Horde Wrote: You can make a real neat looking broadhead by cutting down the middle of a conventional field point, and inserting the blade into it, and securing by epoxy, or even solder, and the bonus is the field point is already tapered to fit your shaft.
Weve got baccy tins, for loose tobacco something similar I think...

[Image: 500_2oz_tobacco_tin_x10.jpg]

[Image: altoids-tins.jpg]

Found this also which is informative and looks worth a go maybe...

Wisconsin bow hunters forum...

Also have a look at this pdf...http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/single-bev...dheads.pdf

http://wibowhunters.proboards.com/index....&thread=72

125 grain field points and reshape them to remove the shoulders. this step may not be necessary buy It looks nice.

the blades are cut from a .039 thick bandsaw blade.
[Image: broadheads99.jpg]

I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
16 December 2012, 20:18,
All this has got me in the mood for an Ojibwe tomahawk haha
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
17 December 2012, 18:11,
Well that's pissed on my bonfire, work won't let me cut any arrowheads on the laser as its a weapon and not deemed a suitable thing to have in the workplace, Fecking joke!