Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fun in Dartmoor
17 December 2012, 18:32,
RE: Fun in Dartmoor
(17 December 2012, 17:31)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 December 2012, 16:51)Scythe13 Wrote: Not being from the area, I wasn't sure how people referred to Dartmoor. I wouldn't say, I was ON Bristol or ON Taunton. So I just assumed it was 'in' Dartmoor. I still don't know whether Dartmoor is the moors or not. Help with that would make me sound much more knowledgeable.

yes, Dartmoor IS the moors, thats why its called Dart MOOR! its a place not a city or a town, therefore you are on it not in it.

sorry, its just that i hate it when someone from, say, the midlands says their going UP to Devon when their actually going DOWN (as in North is UP and South is DOWN), i've spent most of my life with Dartmoor on the doorstep, in fact i lived on Dartmoor in a tin miners cottage for a couple of years( rented-not owned, or i'd still be living there now!) and even now the Moors are only a short drive away.

Well I've never heard anyone from around here (the Midlands) saying 'up to Devon' unless of course they were from the various 'working canal boat families' who because of their working historical lifestyle and environment called anything south 'UP' and anything up North 'DOWN'.

Very nice write up S13.Wink
17 December 2012, 18:36,
(17 December 2012, 18:32)SealDriver Wrote:
(17 December 2012, 17:31)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 December 2012, 16:51)Scythe13 Wrote: Not being from the area, I wasn't sure how people referred to Dartmoor. I wouldn't say, I was ON Bristol or ON Taunton. So I just assumed it was 'in' Dartmoor. I still don't know whether Dartmoor is the moors or not. Help with that would make me sound much more knowledgeable.

yes, Dartmoor IS the moors, thats why its called Dart MOOR! its a place not a city or a town, therefore you are on it not in it.

sorry, its just that i hate it when someone from, say, the midlands says their going UP to Devon when their actually going DOWN (as in North is UP and South is DOWN), i've spent most of my life with Dartmoor on the doorstep, in fact i lived on Dartmoor in a tin miners cottage for a couple of years( rented-not owned, or i'd still be living there now!) and even now the Moors are only a short drive away.

Well I've never heard anyone from around here (the Midlands) saying 'up to Devon' unless of course they were from the various 'working canal boat families' who because of their working historical lifestyle and environment called anything south 'UP' and anything up North 'DOWN'.

Very nice write up S13.Wink

its was just an example SD as in people not from here!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 December 2012, 18:39,
The Forest Inn - Hexworthy is a good pub too, I go their after a spot of fishing or deer stalking. Wink
17 December 2012, 18:41,
Try The Brentor Inn on the Lydford road...used to be my local 25 years ago!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 December 2012, 18:42,
Regional differences are rather interesting I think. If it wasn't for the printing of a standardised Bible written in English (all those years ago) we would still be speaking in regional languages.
17 December 2012, 18:45,
(17 December 2012, 18:42)SealDriver Wrote: Regional differences are rather interesting I think. If it wasn't for the printing of a standardised Bible written in English (all those years ago) we would still be speaking in regional languages.

i think we still do, me old dear, oh arr, oh arr!!Big Grin
17 December 2012, 18:51, (This post was last modified: 17 December 2012, 18:53 by SealDriver.)
(17 December 2012, 18:45)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 December 2012, 18:42)SealDriver Wrote: Regional differences are rather interesting I think. If it wasn't for the printing of a standardised Bible written in English (all those years ago) we would still be speaking in regional languages.

Yes and it's catching!.....As soon as I'm past Brizol my accent automatically reverts to somewhere between 'Adge Cutler and Rambling Sid Rumpo'!Big Grin

Thankfully the Warwickshire accent is a bit easier on the ears than the blunt Brummie accent.Wink

Big Paul we'll have to get together for a pint next time I'm down in Princetown.Wink
18 December 2012, 10:31,
(17 December 2012, 18:51)SealDriver Wrote:
(17 December 2012, 18:45)bigpaul Wrote:

Yes and it's catching!.....As soon as I'm past Brizol my accent automatically reverts to somewhere between 'Adge Cutler and Rambling Sid Rumpo'!Big Grin

Thankfully the Warwickshire accent is a bit easier on the ears than the blunt Brummie accent.Wink

Big Paul we'll have to get together for a pint next time I'm down in Princetown.Wink
yeah, "the Plume of Feathers" used to be a good pub, havent been there (the pub) for a few years.
21 December 2012, 19:36,
Plume of Feathers is still ok.
22 December 2012, 10:13,
(21 December 2012, 19:36)Dorset Lad Wrote: Plume of Feathers is still ok.

thought it probably was! was in Princetown about a month ago.