Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Khukuri Lessons
18 December 2012, 20:23,
RE: Khukuri Lessons
Out of interest,.. this photo was taken in 1970 in Malaya, I was invited to this cerimonial passing out of the blade.

When a Gurka joins the army, he first has to learn how to use his blade, he doesnt do any military training untill he has passed out with his Khukuri

In order to pass the test, they used to take a year old cow, the man has to sever the animals head in one clean cut, if the head doesnt part the body he fails.

As you can see from this photo this man has passed

Incidently, this event is watched by whole [military] families,... you can see the ladies in thier fine clothes sitting `at ringside`

Personaly I wouldnt want this kind of weapon, its clearly a keen blade, but its not an easy weapon to use,..for a survival situation I would m uch prefer a much more simpler blade

[Image: Image1.jpg]
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 December 2012, 22:51,
I wonder if there would be a problem getting these into the country?,... and I would guess there would be a surchage
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 December 2012, 23:06,
Perhaps. The beast is insatiable and requires regular feeds.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 December 2012, 01:12,
(18 December 2012, 22:51)Highlander Wrote: I wonder if there would be a problem getting these into the country?,... and I would guess there would be a surchage

I don't think there is a problem getting them in and I believe you would only pay VAT but that is what I'm trying to find out.

If you buy direct they do label them as a "handmade metal tool" or "souvenir" it's just the charges the TPTB want to rip you off for I'm trying to assess.

MA
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
19 December 2012, 01:39,
You have to pay VAT and Import Duty, amongst other things.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
19 December 2012, 04:42,
Better order them as quick as you can before any TPTB make changes that suddenly stop you doing it. With the way they are going I would not put anything past them...
Prepper Kid: when will the sheeple wake up to the reality?
Prepper Parent: When it is too late to begin prepping for it.
19 December 2012, 09:10,
(19 December 2012, 01:39)Scythe13 Wrote: You have to pay VAT and Import Duty, amongst other things.

I just found a page from HMRC

It seems to say

£0.01 to £15
No customs duty
No Import VAT

£15.01 to £135
No customs duty
Import VAT due

£135.01 and greater
Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £9
Import VAT due

See: HMRC A guide for international post users

MA
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
19 December 2012, 10:39, (This post was last modified: 19 December 2012, 11:02 by MikeAlpha3041.)
Here is another usefull document:

HMRC C2-26: Offensive Weapons

MA

(19 December 2012, 10:39)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote: Here is another usefull document:

HMRC C2-26: Offensive Weapons

MA

My interpretation of all the information that I gathered is that provided the Khukuri is under 50cm long it's importable and under £135 in value (including P&P, insurance etc.) you only pay VAT - what is also interesting is if it is over £135 and you have to pay duty VAT is paid on the duty as well which seems to mean that you pay tax on a tax exactly as you do when you buy petrol! WTF is that all about!!!! HuhHuhHuhAngryAngryAngry
19 December 2012, 11:19,
MA,

I'm sure you can work it out. Smile
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 December 2012, 11:29,
(19 December 2012, 11:19)Skean Dhude Wrote: MA,

I'm sure you can work it out. Smile

Hi SD, yea, I think it's doable because reading the documents EVEN IF the blade is over 50cm long it can be imported if it was made before 1954 and/or "made by hand" but must be evidenced:

"Individual private imports will need to meet one of the defences in order to import a curved blade sword 50cms or over in length. Documentation evidencing one of the defences should be requested. Where defences cannot be evidenced the sword should be seized and not offered for restoration.

We will accept that curved blade swords 50cms or over in length were made before 1954 or made at any other time according to methods of making swords by hand if evidence of such is supplied albeit from a website or invoice until such times as the Home Office provides the expert advice and value required to support seizure and non-restoration.

We have had a number of appeals and an MP letter relating to seizure and non-restoration where the Home Office cannot at this moment provide us expert representation. This means that we are likely to lose any potential Tribunals. The Home Office are also unable to provide us with the type of information/evidence that we will require, such as the value, to prove that these swords are hand made by traditional methods. In the absence of supporting evidence we have no option but to release."

Interesting, isn't it?

MA