Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Any Crossbow experts here?
27 February 2013, 10:42, (This post was last modified: 27 February 2013, 10:46 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Any Crossbow experts here?
(26 February 2013, 19:37)Talon Wrote: Compared to a bow Paul i'll be the first to admit that the crossbow is severly lacking in speed of getting arrows off,the thing is though im a terrible bow shot.
I've shot compounds and recurves and can barely hit a barn at 30 yards.The longbow would probably be my preferred way if i could get on with it,(never owned one but i've always wanted to).If i could get on with one i would take the bow over the crossbow.

If you are getting it wrong with a compound bow the chances are you used one the wrong size or draw weight, when you get one set up for yourself they are beautifully accurate, the long takes years of regular practice to master but a decent basic compound can be mastered in a few hours.

(26 February 2013, 18:56)Talon Wrote: Well im new here but im a keen crossbow enthusiast.For me i prefer the reliability and simplicity of the recurve.One of the best i've seen for sale recently is the Chase Wind 150lb recurve.You can pick one up for under £100.
150lb is powerful enough to take any UK game (when the shtf obviously not before due to the legal no no) not to mention any two legged nasties out there.

Also it's a relatively low stressed bow that's easier to span than some higher poundage ones and will take home made wooden bolts.

I shoot an Exclibur Vixen ll and i've experimented quite a bit with wooden bolts with good success.I'm not personaly a fan of compounds due to their over complexity,also they're not as easy to restring in the field compared to a recurve.Great site btw im learning a lot from everyone here.
Talon

Makes a change reading about a survivalist or prepper NOT wanting a Horton HD125 like Daryl Dixons Smile , i was going to get my son one until I saw how much they had jacked up the price.

27 February 2013, 15:58,
talking about bows i have 2 bow strings going spare, 1 is 44inches long, the other is 57inches long, thats the actual size of the string not the size of the bow it fits, if their any good to anyone i'll stick them in the post..no charge!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 February 2013, 18:10,
I'm no expert on Crossbows but have shot quite a few including, Excalibers, Ten points and Horton and the armex (jaguar).
Regarding the power (lbs Draw weight) 175lb will handle any game you are likely to encounter in Europe, and indeed most of the World including Africa. Understand it is not power that kills the animal in archery/Crossbows, it is the animal bleeding out through internal Haemmorage caused by damaging the lungs, heart etc, which is why you aim for the chest cavity.
One thing you will find on all higher quality crossbows is that the trigger will be CNC machined to give a crisp release, which is the greatest aid to accuracy. Cheaper models will not have the same grade triggers and their triggers have harder pulls and this will affect accuracy, BUT there is no reason you should not get accurate enough with a Jaguer 175 as it really does only come down to practise and knowing your weapon and how it shoots. The red dot sight that comes with the Jaguar package is a bag of poo, do yourself a favour and buy a decent quality Mill Dot scope and learn how to use the "mill dot" reticule.
27 February 2013, 19:56,
(27 February 2013, 10:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: Makes a change reading about a survivalist or prepper NOT wanting a Horton HD125 like Daryl Dixons Smile , i was going to get my son one until I saw how much they had jacked up the price.

Big Grin ,well it was bound to happen as soon as walking dead got poular.And i'd pick an enzo trapper over a Busse,i imagine the team gemini has rocketed since it's daryl's knife of choice
28 February 2013, 09:52,
150 ibs sounds optimum for(defensive) sheeple 'ventilating' post-shtf.Rejected the red dot option in favour of 4 x 32.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
28 February 2013, 10:11,
I reckon 125 pound to 150 pound draw is enough for most applications.