Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Any Crossbow experts here?
18 December 2012, 23:10, (This post was last modified: 18 December 2012, 23:17 by UrbanGuerrilla.)
RE: Any Crossbow experts here?
(18 December 2012, 22:56)Highlander Wrote: As SD said, it will certainly take down any animal you are likely to want to hunt,..depending on the arrowhead,....its not a quiet as you might expect, giving off a noise simular to an air rifle

The bolts are good, but fragile, if you hit anything too hard they will bend, hit wood and you will not get the arrowhead out without cutting it out,... but they are also soft enough to straighten too

i will look into alternative bolts and arrowheads once i get my bow. i was thinking of buying a bale of hay from a farmer and tightly covering it with sack cloth to use for target practice.

Obviously i am NOT going to be taking anyone out, but for knowledge reasons how close do i have to be to a person in order to stop them for self defence reasons with a jaguar crossbow? Doesnt have to be a kill. Just enough to basically stop them from murdering me and my family!

Obviously i am NOT going to be taking anyone out, but for knowledge reasons how close do i have to be to a person in order to stop them for self defence reasons with a jaguar crossbow? Doesnt have to be a kill. Just enough to basically stop them from murdering me and my family!
19 December 2012, 00:30,
My Jaguar will completely penetrate a bale of straw. You might wish to lok into a more dense foam type target.

As for defense w/crossbow and range?

I would say that if they are inside the house, where you would be justified in firing on them, the C-bow would be verry effective. Keep in mind the assailant may not realize he is hit and you may need to club him with the bow, so buy a substantial weapon.

Crossbows kill through hemorage, not shock.

That being the case you might not have the option of deciding if the assailant is to be wounded or to be killed. He bleeds out or he does not. Once you get the arrow into him it is his option, not yours.
19 December 2012, 00:51,
The foam targets break apart easily. I use straw and pulling the bolt out is hard but the alternative is to damage the flights.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 December 2012, 11:54,
Im thinking of spending a bit more and buying an Excalibur Axiom.

What do you think?
19 December 2012, 12:28,
My only question would be what benefit would you get for the extra money, does it reload faster, more accurate? You can buy more bolts and spares for a cheaper bow.

However, you have plenty of money then get a variety for different tasks.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 December 2012, 12:43,
(19 December 2012, 12:28)Skean Dhude Wrote: My only question would be what benefit would you get for the extra money, does it reload faster, more accurate? You can buy more bolts and spares for a cheaper bow.

However, you have plenty of money then get a variety for different tasks.

From what i have understood through the net, they are definitely more accurate and also very reliable and tough. Also they have more power so will be more effective over a greater distance.

They are much more cheaper in US so im hoping to buy one from there.

I am still open to advise though. Dont think i have made up my mind. I am just writing down whats in my head to get feedback from you guise.
19 December 2012, 13:15,
Don't forget to add customs duty on.whilst comparing prices. There are powerful bows in the UK.

Remember the further away the more likely you are to miss, hit a non vital area and probably lose the bolt. Much better to be closer and ensure a kill after all you won't be able to replace the bolts.

On the plus side the morepower at close range the better.
Skean Dhude
19 December 2012, 13:50,
(19 December 2012, 13:15)Skean Dhude Wrote: Don't forget to add customs duty on.whilst comparing prices. There are powerful bows in the UK.

Remember the further away the more likely you are to miss, hit a non vital area and probably lose the bolt. Much better to be closer and ensure a kill after all you won't be able to replace the bolts.

On the plus side the morepower at close range the better.

thanks dude. forgot about tax. btw there is no tax on items marked as gifts so will look into that.
20 December 2012, 16:55,
I have kinda made up my mind Dodgy

This is what im going for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...TQ:US:1123

Its in the USA but even with the duty it still works out over £100 cheaper than UK.

Im still open to advice though so dont hold back. Smile
20 December 2012, 18:28,
I'd go for a compound 225ib with the wickedest broad-heads you can buy/make.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.