Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Any Crossbow experts here?
20 December 2012, 20:48,
RE: Any Crossbow experts here?
(20 December 2012, 18:28)ObongoPox Wrote: I'd go for a compound 225ib with the wickedest broad-heads you can buy/make.

This is not a million miles away from the Jaguar,.. two points to make,..is that although I cant quite remember the weight of the Jaguar,..I think this Xbow is heavier,..you will need to check

.... but more important than that, check to see if there is a safety catch on this one,.. it is far more imortant to get that than almost any other feature,... there is a good one on the Jaguar that locks as soon as the string is strung
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 December 2012, 11:24,
i have 3 very cheap crossbows a long the panzer/ wildcat line the do the job fine
somethings don't need to be expensive look at the ak47 cheap to make, cheap to buy, easy to use, hard to break and kill just as good as any other assault rifle
someone good at their job can use any tool?
buy more food insteadSmile
to win the war, you must be willing to die
21 December 2012, 19:58,
Mine's an Armex Cheetah compound 185 ibs/320 fps and approx £220 NEW inc telescopic sight,4 bolts,carry strap.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
22 December 2012, 11:51, (This post was last modified: 22 December 2012, 11:57 by ObongoPox.)
Wish I'd gone for something heavier/faster.

Wish I'd gone for 200ibs++
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
26 February 2013, 18:56,
Well im new here but im a keen crossbow enthusiast.For me i prefer the reliability and simplicity of the recurve.One of the best i've seen for sale recently is the Chase Wind 150lb recurve.You can pick one up for under £100.
150lb is powerful enough to take any UK game (when the shtf obviously not before due to the legal no no) not to mention any two legged nasties out there.

Also it's a relatively low stressed bow that's easier to span than some higher poundage ones and will take home made wooden bolts.

I shoot an Exclibur Vixen ll and i've experimented quite a bit with wooden bolts with good success.I'm not personaly a fan of compounds due to their over complexity,also they're not as easy to restring in the field compared to a recurve.Great site btw im learning a lot from everyone here.
Talon
26 February 2013, 19:08,
you have to be careful restringing a crossbow-as one of our members found out. also how quickly can you restring and fire a crossbow as opposed to a traditional bow?? i'm kinda traditional myself so i went for a longbow, this means i can use wooden arrows which are cheaper to buy than metal bolts...the ones i've seen anyway!..
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 February 2013, 19:37,
Compared to a bow Paul i'll be the first to admit that the crossbow is severly lacking in speed of getting arrows off,the thing is though im a terrible bow shot.
I've shot compounds and recurves and can barely hit a barn at 30 yards.The longbow would probably be my preferred way if i could get on with it,(never owned one but i've always wanted to).If i could get on with one i would take the bow over the crossbow.
26 February 2013, 20:18,
(20 December 2012, 20:48)Highlander Wrote:
(20 December 2012, 18:28)ObongoPox Wrote: I'd go for a compound 225ib with the wickedest broad-heads you can buy/make.

This is not a million miles away from the Jaguar,.. two points to make,..is that although I cant quite remember the weight of the Jaguar,..I think this Xbow is heavier,..you will need to check

.... but more important than that, check to see if there is a safety catch on this one,.. it is far more imortant to get that than almost any other feature,... there is a good one on the Jaguar that locks as soon as the string is strung

I think Jaguars come in 90lb, 150lb and 175lb flavours
conscius et paratum
26 February 2013, 20:37,
very nice crossbows all ,but if for hunting four or two legged praySmilei think you need some thing that has got a fair lb but not to much, as you need the broad head to stay in and cut away so they bleed out fast. other then with very heavey bows the bolt will go straight though the pray .so none above 150 draw for me that is, people have there own ideas.
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
27 February 2013, 10:26,
(26 February 2013, 19:37)Talon Wrote: Compared to a bow Paul i'll be the first to admit that the crossbow is severly lacking in speed of getting arrows off,the thing is though im a terrible bow shot.
I've shot compounds and recurves and can barely hit a barn at 30 yards.The longbow would probably be my preferred way if i could get on with it,(never owned one but i've always wanted to).If i could get on with one i would take the bow over the crossbow.

i was lucky, given the price of a decent crossbow, i managed to find a decent longbow at a sunday market( i dont think the guy knew much about bows) for a paultry £25! so i went for that and wooden arrows rather than a crossbow....also i have an air rifle so i wanted something different to something that looks similar to a rifle!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.