Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Khukuri Club
28 December 2012, 17:45,
RE: Khukuri Club
Thanks for the photos, I am not suprised that it arrived blunt,.. but it should sharpen up ok,... I remember Ghurkas in Malaya saying that they did take some sharpening, but that also ensured that they kept their edge longer.

The two small knifes still have their uses, the one is meant to be blunt as it is a shapening aid,.. the other just a plain knife
A major part of survival is invisibility.
28 December 2012, 21:40,
(28 December 2012, 17:28)TrickyDicky Wrote: ..........It cost a total of £58 if memory serves me correctly and took 3 weeks to arrive. There was no problem with Customs or delivery - smooth as anything..........

Was there VAT or other "extras" that our government decide they have a right to charge for?

MA
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
28 December 2012, 23:11, (This post was last modified: 28 December 2012, 23:15 by TrickyDicky.)
(28 December 2012, 21:40)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote:
(28 December 2012, 17:28)TrickyDicky Wrote: ..........It cost a total of £58 if memory serves me correctly and took 3 weeks to arrive. There was no problem with Customs or delivery - smooth as anything..........

Was there VAT or other "extras" that our government decide they have a right to charge for?

MA

No Mike, no extras. On the site the prices are in dollars. I put the amount into an online currency convertor first to get an idea in proper money and then ordered. A "service charge" of something like $2 was added. I emailed the company to ask what this was for and was told its a fee to the local courier to arrange all the export paperwork so theres no problems with Customs etc. DHL were the main courier and the order is tracked so you can follow its progress. I was out at the time of arrival but had left a signed note asking it to be left in a certain location. When I returned it was there. As I say it took about 3 weeks but it was a totally smooth transaction and I would have no hesitation in ordering from them again. Its not a bad price for an artisan made knife flown halfway around the world.

(28 December 2012, 17:45)Highlander Wrote: Thanks for the photos, I am not suprised that it arrived blunt,.. but it should sharpen up ok,... I remember Ghurkas in Malaya saying that they did take some sharpening, but that also ensured that they kept their edge longer.

The two small knifes still have their uses, the one is meant to be blunt as it is a shapening aid,.. the other just a plain knife

Thats good to hear, I'll keep plugging away until I get the edge I'm after.
Just because you don't believe they're watching you, doesn't mean they aren't.
29 December 2012, 00:23,
Cheers, TrickyDicky; appreciate the feedback.

I've been talking to them about a matched pair of Khukuri's with some engravings, they seem very professional and amenable to personal requirements. I asked for some extra photo's and them sent them to me Christmas day not just one or two I asked for but 8! Excellent customer service.

MA
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
7 March 2013, 20:50,
Ah the Kukri,personaly i love mine.I bought it from Tora blades,£29 if i remember for the british service pattern (they've since hiked the prices up).
I've used a gransfors hatchet,a spike tomahawk and various knives both home made and bought and i still go back to the kukri,couple that with a nice 4 inch drop point in o1 tool steel with a scandi grind and for me it's the perfect bushcraft combination for our climate Smile
3 May 2013, 18:52,
I was checking out Tora blades the other day and they don't seem to have any stock in.