Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Dog Rising
22 December 2012, 11:52,
Red Dog Rising
I was reading another thread and Ray Mears was mentioned and his tracking abilities.......Human trackers even the best of the best are no where near as good as a tracking dog.....So this is the 'real deal' and it also gets rid of some of those old wives tales like 'Dogs can't track humans through water' which was a remark made by one of America's top Preppers recently on Youtube!...duhConfused

Anyways if you are interested in working tracking dogs and man tracking this is the book for you.Smile

http://reddogrising.net/
22 December 2012, 19:10,
RE: Red Dog Rising
"America's top preppers" are constantly being knocked off their pedestals. In most cases all it takes to get your own show is a good con-line and knowing the right people. Our best are not really well known except in the credits of the shows where they mention the Tech advisors.

Oh yes, puppies!

Having a dog, and having a trained dog, is about the equil to having a friend and having a friend with survival skills. One is a help, the other a handicap.

Unfortunately I have been areound very few well trained dogs or friends.
22 December 2012, 21:15,
It has been proved that dogs can track a scent in at least a meter of water,.. the American prepper who said that must have watched too make escape films.

...I think is was in Alsaka where german Shepherds were first used to find cables, where the cables went under water, they used boats and simply rowed in the direction the dog scented,....the first time no-one was sure if the dog had the scent or not, untill they reached the other side,... and there was the cable,... the cable had even taken a sharp turn due to the flow of the water,.. but still the dog followed it, I think there was a team of four dogs that covered a large area doing this
A major part of survival is invisibility.
22 December 2012, 23:59,
The Norwegian Police use Elk Hounds to find dead bodies in Fjords and the Canadian Royal Mounted Police have some experience at submerged bodies and tracking in water...infact I believe they wrote the book on it.

The Kanooks also use Labradors to find whales at sea by a similar method as discribed by Highlander with the cable finding dogs.

I use my dogs on deer trails, but the basic method for scent tracking is the same for all varieties of scent work. The author of this book knows all about it and his understanding of his dog/s is impressive.

In my experience it's the tracker/trainer that can be the problem, a dog can track prefectly well on its own, nature has given it this survival ability. Now if the trainer cannot communicate what it is he/she desires the dog to do, well that's not the dogs fault.Wink
23 December 2012, 02:45,
Totally agree with that last comment sealdriver at the end of the day it's down to u as an owner/trainer to get the best out of your dog Wink
23 December 2012, 11:37,
So mack sure you have a good supply of ground glass if you think you are going to be tracked. I should get some for my preps.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 December 2012, 12:28,
(23 December 2012, 11:37)Skean Dhude Wrote: So mack sure you have a good supply of ground glass if you think you are going to be tracked. I should get some for my preps.

That doesnt work SD,... its another of those rumours that gets spread around,.. if we are talking about ground scenting,................we say a dog `sniffs`,... but he doesnt sniff in the way we do, i.e. shiffs and brings stuff into the nose,... when a dog scents, he is only breathing as normal, and doesnt touch the ground, so the like of ground glass or mustered wouldnt bother the dog.

and just incse a dog doesnt bring something into its nose, it is able to blow it back out again just as easily

A dog is also able to `air scent`, his nose is no-where near the ground here,... it all depends on how the dog has been trained
23 December 2012, 13:26,
(23 December 2012, 12:28)Highlander Wrote:
(23 December 2012, 11:37)Skean Dhude Wrote: So mack sure you have a good supply of ground glass if you think you are going to be tracked. I should get some for my preps.

That doesnt work SD,... its another of those rumours that gets spread around,.. if we are talking about ground scenting,................we say a dog `sniffs`,... but he doesnt sniff in the way we do, i.e. shiffs and brings stuff into the nose,... when a dog scents, he is only breathing as normal, and doesnt touch the ground, so the like of ground glass or mustered wouldnt bother the dog.

and just incse a dog doesnt bring something into its nose, it is able to blow it back out again just as easily

A dog is also able to `air scent`, his nose is no-where near the ground here,... it all depends on how the dog has been trained

Yes indeed, Highlander is correct. Some other 'old wives tales' would be:- Stronger scents used to mask a scent will confuse/put off a scenting dog. If a dog hasn't got its nose on the deck its not tracking, (a dog will follow the scent in the terrain be it blown by wind or flushed further away by rain/standing water) the dog is on the trail even if the trail moves from its original path.Wink Some trackers don't realise this and think that the dog is off trail.Undecided
23 December 2012, 14:12,
I have been on dog scenting trials where the scent the dog is tracking is over three days old, and has many twists and turns over different types of ground,... then had the local school bring the children to walk over the entire ground .... with pets,....and still the dog should be able to track the scents its been asked to do

For Schutzhund classes 2 and 1 this is the normal, 3 is a bit tamer
23 December 2012, 17:44,
We do something similar with Schweiss Dogs, a dog follows a deer hoof print trail through an area where many other deer have moved around. Again the average age of the trail is 72 hours, although some dogs are able to scent trail out to four day old trails in perfect scent laid conditions.

It's interesting also to watch dogs used by Archaeologists, the dogs can find unmarked graves of people long dead and at least 2-3 metres down in the ground. I watched a clip of a dog finding Roman Graves on a building site. The graves were intact not disturbed yet the dog was finding them at two metres deep. They thought that the dog had a false reading at one point but it turned out that centiries earlier one of the graves had been disturbed by robbers and the dog was indicating on finger bones broken off by the thieves as they removed rings from the corpse.Confused

Should everything go pear shaped, my survival buddies will be my tracking dogs.Wink