Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anorak & mittens canvas
19 March 2013, 11:50,
Anorak & mittens canvas
I am looking to start on a new project to make a duck cotton canvas anorak similar to the one Dave Canterbury endorsed http://duluthpack.com/pathfinder-canvas-anorak.html

Now would you say Olive green would stand out too much. I have seen some canvas used by Military vehicles (guaranteed the fabric might be a bit too heavy)

Thoughts please
19 March 2013, 12:35,
RE: Anorak & mittens canvas
the U.s army used to wear olive green combats so i cant see it standing out that much!
19 March 2013, 12:52,
Message to SecretPrepper from northern Raider: consider using Ventile cloth for your project rather than canvas, the end result will be better cos the material is breathable and waterproof.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 March 2013, 13:13,
Good luck with the project and please ket us know how its coming along.
20 March 2013, 11:56, (This post was last modified: 20 March 2013, 11:56 by SecretPrepper.)
that ventile cloth is about triple the price of canvas and that was for seconds. i couldn't find many places that sold it either

(19 March 2013, 12:35)Tigs Wrote: the U.s army used to wear olive green combats so i cant see it standing out that much!

Last thing i want is to look military Undecided
20 March 2013, 12:59,
its a military colour
20 March 2013, 13:04,
Only time I have got hastle in military gear was about ten years ago. I had a shaved head and a german camo top, some old lady stopped me at a bus station and said I was a disgrace for flying the german flag. Millitary gear is quite populsr in cities as well as rural so people dont notice it to much.
22 March 2013, 12:46,
Carrying on from materials has anyone ever made oil cloth. Might not be breathable but it will work as a water resistant layer. i have seen one recepie which required linseed oil and mineral spirit. No idea what it is but i think it is like white spirit.

I would really appreciate any help
24 March 2013, 01:50, (This post was last modified: 24 March 2013, 01:51 by Mortblanc.)
Mineral spirits is also known as paint thinner. I am not sure what it is known as in GB.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_55414-78-GKSP940...&facetInfo=

The proper mix for oilcloth is 50/50. Paint the fabric or spray it on and let it dry outdoors.

You will also want to wash and dry canvas before prepping the fabric for sewing.

It shrinks.