Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most likely shtf scenarios
31 December 2012, 19:45,
RE: most likely shtf scenarios
(31 December 2012, 18:43)David075 Wrote:
(26 December 2012, 15:24)bigpaul Wrote: http://offgridsurvival.com/mostlikelyshtfscenarios/

A winter like 1947 is a likely one If we get a winter like that now people will start to starve mega crime and whatever else.

you cant be that old!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 December 2012, 20:23, (This post was last modified: 31 December 2012, 20:27 by David075.)
No im in my late 30,s lol seen a program on tv about that winter and if it happened again im sure there would be total chaos snow covering most if not all of the uk up to 6ft deep in some parts for an extended period of time.

My point is that the winter of 1947 was a SHTF situation that happened, and that GOV UK and lots more would not cope if it happened again
31 December 2012, 22:00,
You can come forward a bit too,.. wasnt it 1964 or something like that ,.. I can remember going out of the house via the bedroom window,..and making igloos by the coal house,...lol, they were the days..Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 December 2012, 22:28,
I wasn't around then LOLBig Grin
1 January 2013, 00:38,
(31 December 2012, 22:28)David075 Wrote: I wasn't around then LOLBig Grin

ooopppps I think that was a typing mistake, was ment to say 1974 - ish.... Blush
1 January 2013, 10:45,
you'r probably thinking of 1963, saw the army dropping hay to ponies on Dartmoor!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 January 2013, 21:26,
looking at several millions of inhabitants of the nordic regions in europe, asia and north america it is difficult to say the harsh winter in britain would qualify as a shtf situation.
i'd describe it more like inconvenience.
in reality it is matter of logistics, and uk is good with logistics:
-there are plenty of tractors with buckets or plows owned by the farmers and road construction companies capable of clearing the roads from the snow. local authorities should just make the list of the priority roads first to to clear and then sign the contracts with the heavy equipment owners. i think local authorities have to have these kind of agreements already, just in case
-then, in corporate level, if due to the snow and low temperature conditions lot of people wouldn't get to work at time. what would happen? when stoke broker or lawyer would miss the day or two at the office, does it qualify as the catastrophe? i don't think so. but it is essential to get access to the hospitals, railway stations, bus stations, airports, fire and police stations and to keep main roads clean of snow. for school kids it would be great to have a snow holidays. and besides, snow shovels, cross-country skis, ATV's with the snow plows and snow clothes will become a hot merchandize
-in personal level: may be you should invest in good snow shovel. not the crappy plastic shovel but good aluminium not too over sized ca 40cm wide snow shovel (from the first snow fall i have it in my back seat ready). those toy shovels from the gas stations and the snowsports gear shops are really useless. then if you can afford it have several home heating options. and it is much more easier to move on your car with M+S tires.
and finally, you don't have to be afraid of those rioting "chavs", because they are not "active" in coldSmile

at my place (estonia) there are two or three times per winter when the temperature is too low (below -25C, usually lasts about 7 days) or the really heavy snowfall. i usually get late at work then for about 2 or 4 hours because my renault megane 1,6l doesn't start or it was buried in deep snow. but that is ok, everybody do. and i really like those moments when totally strange motorists helping each other to get out of the deep snow or to jump start your car.
we got each year some cold casualties, but they are almost 100% caused by alcohol intoxication.

of course in uk there will be some vineyards and fruit gardens lost, lots of garden plants perished and other damages will happen. but these are more like insurance cases, not the end of the world.

real trouble would be if the spring will never come...
3 January 2013, 21:41,
Thanks ErikEst,... its good to have your views on the subject, you are clearly more quaified than most of us, as your winters are far worse than our coldest.

If there is a flaw in what you say, compared to us in the UK, it is that your people are more hardy than us,..you guys are used to the hard winters, and prepar for it, because you are well aware of whats coming.

In the UK, people are not generaly like that, we are soft in comparision, sure we have the ability to clear roads and keep certain areas operational, but the people in general are the weak link in that operation,.. someone will say that we cant do that, and give a reason, often a Health and safety reason, we would have equipment that would not start because we only have small amounts of anti-freeze in the radiator , unlike you that would have neat anti-freeze.

Shops, garages, etc would soon close, lorries would be stuck on the motorways, this happens now as soon as we get more than a couple of inches, if the winter was hard enough [ a lot less than yours ], we would have the elderly dieing in there hundreds, the medical people and the hospitals wouldnt cope least of all because staff wouldnt get to work

you guys are simply made of sterner stuff my friend
4 January 2013, 15:55,
(31 December 2012, 07:37)KnockoffNeil Wrote: http://www.tlsfx.co.uk/p-38-60-second-sm...nades.aspx thanks for that guys I'm gettin me some of them

Distress flares. Get those instead. I pay £5 each for them, but you can probably find them cheaper online. They kick out lots of smoke, bright red, and they're a decent size so you can chuck them quite a way if necessary. Illegal to use on land, but should there be a baying mob at your front door I don't think anyone will mind your minor infraction.
4 January 2013, 18:54,
(3 January 2013, 21:41)Highlander Wrote: if the winter was hard enough [ a lot less than yours ], we would have the elderly dieing in there hundreds, the medical people and the hospitals wouldnt cope least of all because staff wouldnt get to work

now that DOES sound interesting!!Big Grin