Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
9 typical prepping mistakes
6 April 2013, 09:58,
RE: 9 typical prepping mistakes
I've got some rations, enough for a week at a stretch,

i'm working on skills to provide for myself rather than stockpiling.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
6 April 2013, 10:02, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 10:04 by bigpaul.)
(6 April 2013, 09:58)Binnie Wrote: I've got some rations, enough for a week at a stretch,

i'm working on skills to provide for myself rather than stockpiling.

knowledge is always a good thing, skills too, better than stuff, stuff wears out, eventually when all the stored food is used up we will have to go back to growing food and rearing animals to provide for ourselves.

stored food is only a stopgap, for a year at most, whilst all the mayhem is going on, once that has died down and it is safe to come out, we will probably go back to an agricultural lifestyle.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2013, 10:06, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 10:08 by Luci_ferson.)
although im not putting much importance on food stocking. I have to say ive got quiet a stash.
slowly accumulated like bigpaul said

I never intended to have so much. but I keep finding things with long shelf lives and certain nutrients that wiould be hard to find in the wild.
like sardines for essential oils etc. ( don't run out until 2017)

im also planning on getting most of my food from around me. but not all food groups are around me.
which is why im mainly concentrating on the food groups that are missing. and the basics like uht milk etc.
even only collecting the missing food groups it has left me with a 1metre squere cupboard full.

if I tried to stock all food groups it would probably fill a small bedroom or cellar.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
6 April 2013, 10:14,
i think the Americans go a bit overboard on food stores, its ok for them they've got cellars and can get those big size tins, but when there is only the 2 of you and you live in a small modern semi detached there isnt that much spare space, so you store what you can, i reckon we have about 6 months worth maybe 8 months at a push with a bit of "portion control", we'll be picking up extra as the time goes by every time we go shopping, then we'll top it all up as we see things deteriorating and sheeple panicking as their cards and ATM dont work, we'll waltz into the shops and pay cash!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2013, 10:18,
iv got about 9 months of basic essential. add this to whatever I find , scavenge or the land provides and I should be okey for around a year.
it would be far easy. but wed manage around a year at most.
but we live in England and its pretty easy for the local food sources to get caught out in a harsh winter.
a harsh winter could ruin my plans. so were still gathering a few more items as we go. (just incase)
better to have it there , than get caught by surprise.
6 April 2013, 10:23, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 10:26 by bigpaul.)
i always say (when TSHTF) it-whatever item it is- is no good on the supermarket 's shelf but its better on my shelf.

the trouble with "living off the land" is if we get a harsh winter-even down here it happens-all the plants and animals could be wiped out, without a back up store of tinned food what do you do then?
6 April 2013, 10:31,
exactly , it wouldn't be the first time weather here has decimated crops.
too much rain.
not enough rain at the right time (fruit crops)

im expecting there will be a period of panic buying just before the event gets into full swing.
ive got a nice little cash stash set aside so that I could run out and grab whatever I haven't had time to get or the stuff with lower shelf lives etc.
that stuff aint important . its just a litte side plan incase the opportunity arrises.
as they say at tescos. "every little bit helps."
6 April 2013, 10:34,
(6 April 2013, 10:31)Luci_ferson Wrote: exactly , it wouldn't be the first time weather here has decimated crops.
too much rain.
not enough rain at the right time (fruit crops)

im expecting there will be a period of panic buying just before the event gets into full swing.
ive got a nice little cash stash set aside so that I could run out and grab whatever I haven't had time to get or the stuff with lower shelf lives etc.
that stuff aint important . its just a litte side plan incase the opportunity arrises.
as they say at tescos. "every little bit helps."

exactly, i've got a cash stash and will dash out as we see the SHTF and grab as much tinned and dried food as we can get while all the sheeple are complaining their cards dont work.(electrics off).
6 April 2013, 10:36, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 10:37 by Luci_ferson.)
situations are there to be taken advantage of.
you cant take advantage of it if you don't plan for it.
the cash will be worthless afterwords.
may as well spend it all and grab everything you can.
like you said most wont have cash they will have to wait for the looting to start.
wel have already bought most of the usefull stuff by then lol

cash may be useless , but only if you leave it too long to use it.
6 April 2013, 10:46,
(6 April 2013, 10:36)Luci_ferson Wrote: situations are there to be taken advantage of.
you cant take advantage of it if you don't plan for it.
the cash will be worthless afterwords.
may as well spend it all and grab everything you can.
like you said most wont have cash they will have to wait for the looting to start.
wel have already bought most of the usefull stuff by then lol

cash may be useless , but only if you leave it too long to use it.

yep, nothing wrong with being an "opportunist"!