Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
american recession
30 December 2012, 21:38,
RE: american recession
(30 December 2012, 21:20)Barneyboy Wrote: do you think its deliberate to bring manufacturing back to the USA AND UK

No, for a couple of reasons.

1. We will still want China to make us things, just not as much

2. China has raw materials to make a lot of the things we want - they might not sell us these, if they did it would be at an inflated price.

3. Cost of manufacturing here would be to high. We only have cheap goods because of cheap manufacturing. When the majority of out electrical goods were made in Europe, they were blood expensive.

You could argue for a protectionist economy, but that would kill exports and we need to export to pay the bills.
30 December 2012, 21:50,
(30 December 2012, 21:38)BDG Wrote:
(30 December 2012, 21:20)Barneyboy Wrote: do you think its deliberate to bring manufacturing back to the USA AND UK

No, for a couple of reasons.

1. We will still want China to make us things, just not as much

2. China has raw materials to make a lot of the things we want - they might not sell us these, if they did it would be at an inflated price.

3. Cost of manufacturing here would be to high. We only have cheap goods because of cheap manufacturing. When the majority of out electrical goods were made in Europe, they were blood expensive.

You could argue for a protectionist economy, but that would kill exports and we need to export to pay the bills.

yeah ok but if the pound takes a hit ,then manufacturing here will be cheaper
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 December 2012, 22:26,
(30 December 2012, 21:50)Barneyboy Wrote: yeah ok but if the pound takes a hit ,then manufacturing here will be cheaper

It might be cheaper to export, slightly, but the markets for what we manufacture and export are relatively small. As for making it cheaper for domestic purchasers, any loss in the value of the pound would negate that.

I feel more comfortable having the City of London manipulating the worlds currencies that I would about us making TVs, DVD players and crap that no one actually needs. Plus we would have to tool and train up.

What we do well at and earn out living at but could earn so much more is in R&D.
30 December 2012, 23:37,
.........im still going to poundland.
31 December 2012, 00:00,
(30 December 2012, 23:37)KnockoffNeil Wrote: .........im still going to poundland.

What does poundland sell? Would your money not be better spend on quality tools that will last?
31 December 2012, 00:27,
Of course. I let the mrs do big shop on her own and she didnt buy anything to be stocked so im off to quidworld.
31 December 2012, 00:33,
Rolls-Royce RB211 engines as fitted to Lockheed Tri-Star(RIP)and Boeing 757.All other UK stuff is as useless as England's gay football team.You could never hide effectively in Britain because it lacks forest.Wish I was in North America.Newfoundland would be a good bug-out location.Labrador even better.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
31 December 2012, 10:09,
(31 December 2012, 00:33)ObongoPox Wrote: You could never hide effectively in Britain because it lacks forest.

i could take you to 7 or 8 places, all within a half hours drive of where i live, its knowing where to look.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 December 2012, 11:08,
(31 December 2012, 10:09)bigpaul Wrote:
(31 December 2012, 00:33)ObongoPox Wrote: You could never hide effectively in Britain because it lacks forest.

i could take you to 7 or 8 places, all within a half hours drive of where i live, its knowing where to look.
Guess I just want totally unpopulated wilderness.I despise modern Britain and its teeming 'Tesco-ization' and want endless boreal forest.Modern humans,and especially modern UK humans,are low-grade,demonic garbage.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
31 December 2012, 11:39,
(31 December 2012, 11:08)ObongoPox Wrote: Guess I just want totally unpopulated wilderness.I despise modern Britain and its teeming 'Tesco-ization' and want endless boreal forest.Modern humans,and especially modern UK humans,are low-grade,demonic garbage.

thats how i feel too, i cant abide most people, my criteria is: rural,remote,isolated-no near neighbours and some of the places/properties i have found(for bug out purposes) are really out in the middle of nowhere!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.