Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
american recession
31 December 2012, 22:07,
RE: american recession
(31 December 2012, 00:33)ObongoPox Wrote: Rolls-Royce RB211 engines as fitted to Lockheed Tri-Star(RIP)and Boeing 757.All other UK stuff is as useless as England's gay football team.You could never hide effectively in Britain because it lacks forest.Wish I was in North America.Newfoundland would be a good bug-out location.Labrador even better.

I could also take you to places you could hide an Army,...there was a time that the Scots did
A major part of survival is invisibility.
31 December 2012, 22:41,
I'd gladly take a very basic hut in northern Scotland,but from my experience of the place these shooting estates have got it all sewn up and they wouldn't want some reclusive dude,some reclusive English(skint)dude,occupying premium space and getting in the way of the guns.
My point is that if I was in Canada I could vanish into endless forest and get away with it.Scotland has lost 98% of its natural forest.Without natural forest you lack building materials,concealment,firewood,shelter,diverse edible plants,soil fertility for cultivation.
Can you honestly tell me I wouldn't have gamekeepers all over me the first time I light a fire?As I said though,I'd jump at the chance of a legit hut or something up there.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
31 December 2012, 22:44,
(31 December 2012, 22:41)ObongoPox Wrote: I'd gladly take a very basic hut in northern Scotland,but from my experience of the place these shooting estates have got it all sewn up and they wouldn't want some reclusive dude,some reclusive English(skint)dude,occupying premium space and getting in the way of the guns.
My point is that if I was in Canada I could vanish into endless forest and get away with it.Scotland has lost 98% of its natural forest.Without natural forest you lack building materials,concealment,firewood,shelter,diverse edible plants,soil fertility for cultivation.
Can you honestly tell me I wouldn't have gamekeepers all over me the first time I light a fire?As I said though,I'd jump at the chance of a legit hut or something up there.

that because the few own the most all that land owned by some rich twat just not on
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
1 January 2013, 00:35,
(31 December 2012, 22:41)ObongoPox Wrote: I'd gladly take a very basic hut in northern Scotland,but from my experience of the place these shooting estates have got it all sewn up and they wouldn't want some reclusive dude,some reclusive English(skint)dude,occupying premium space and getting in the way of the guns.

Of course we are only talking survival living,.....the Highlands are clearly not as big as Canada I agree,.. but I still maintain that you could live off the grid in the high country without being seen if you know how to., and I can honestly say that if you knew what you are doing then a gamekeeper would be lucky to find you,... a game keeper is just a man who knows the hills and takes people shooting,..he is not a superman

I have wild camped in that kind of country with my three dog for two weeks at a time, many times, and never seen so much as a man in the distance,...so I am confident in what I am saying
A major part of survival is invisibility.
1 January 2013, 00:40,

There are plenty of places you could go in England where you would come across no one post SHTF. Sure, in boreal forest you can be happy there will be no one for miles and they will not see what you are up to. You just have to know places people do not go and pick your times of day for doing things when people - if any are going to be about - are about.

Sure, if you build a permanent base, as it stands at the moment, some one may see it. If their had been some kind of event and a lot less people wandering around? You would be safe.

There area also places in the landscape and places in old industry that spring to mind. Lots of old mineral and metal mines where you would not see the entrance if you walked past it that you could live in like a cave.

A lot of places are only seen in the near distance by serious hikers and sheep farmers a few times a year as it is. After an event - who is going to go into the badlands of nothingness? If it was anyone, it would be the same type of person - the person that would most likely want to avoid any contact with others.

(31 December 2012, 22:44)Barneyboy Wrote: that because the few own the most all that land owned by some rich twat just not on

Get some money together then and buy some land. Keep the money coming up to maintain that land and employ people on it.
1 January 2013, 01:36,
(1 January 2013, 00:35)Highlander Wrote:

Of course we are only talking survival living,.....the Highlands are clearly not as big as Canada I agree,.. but I still maintain that you could live off the grid in the high country without being seen if you know how to., and I can honestly say that if you knew what you are doing then a gamekeeper would be lucky to find you,... a game keeper is just a man who knows the hills and takes people shooting,..he is not a superman

I have wild camped in that kind of country with my three dog for two weeks at a time, many times, and never seen so much as a man in the distance,...so I am confident in what I am saying
Up to a point I agree with both you and BDG.If you're prepared to travel light and live spartanly,then yes you can evade custodians such as keepers,Forestry Commision jobsworths.The problems start once you try to establish a permanent,liveable base.Once you start investing that kind of energy and accumulating gear..What happens when that seldom seen gamekeeper/forestry goon is no longer a figure in the far distance,but is suddenly kicking down the door of the cabin you've sweated blood building?99.9% of the people on this site are fantacists who haven't really given serious consideration to the sheer precariousness of living in illegal structures on private land(which all of the UK is).Yes,post SHTF the normal rules won't apply,but in that case how do you construct a pre SHTF bug-out structure?Or do you wait until it's post-event(s) which surely defeats the object of prepping?
1 January 2013, 02:07,
Simple. You buy a couple of acres of your own and prep in there expanding out ATSHTF. Set up what you want and plants in pots then plant them into the ground and assemble any structures. Just think about the whole thing and plan it out bearing in mind that other things may happen to upset the applecart.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 January 2013, 03:32,
quote='Skean Dhude' pid='40217' dateline='1357002465']
Simple. You buy a couple of acres of your own and prep in there expanding out ATSHTF. Set up what you want and plants in pots then plant them into the ground and assemble any structures. Just think about the whole thing and plan it out bearing in mind that other things may happen to upset the applecart.
[/quote]

Ok for those who can afford land purchase( inc legal costs).Up against the buying power of the pony-paddock crowd as well.UK planning law currently makes no distinction between a hermit's shack and an 'executive-style home' development.
Most of these theoretical BOLs we hear so much about seem lacking in substance to me.Not 'reality-proof'.Nothing in Britain is 'unowned'.There is always going to be at least one pair of human eyes and ears watching just about every unoccupied structure,unvisited wood,derelict this or that.Fine if you're living out of a backpack and can move at a moment's notice.Not so fine if it's a permanent 'home' you're trying to create.
In the previous post I misspelled fantasists btw..
1 January 2013, 10:50,
of course, like me, you could always get out there and find old EMPTY property and industrial buildings where no one has been for years!! and in a SHTF-with less people- no one else will ever find you/me again!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 January 2013, 11:49,
(1 January 2013, 00:40)BDG Wrote:

There are plenty of places you could go in England where you would come across no one post SHTF. Sure, in boreal forest you can be happy there will be no one for miles and they will not see what you are up to. You just have to know places people do not go and pick your times of day for doing things when people - if any are going to be about - are about.

Sure, if you build a permanent base, as it stands at the moment, some one may see it. If their had been some kind of event and a lot less people wandering around? You would be safe.

There area also places in the landscape and places in old industry that spring to mind. Lots of old mineral and metal mines where you would not see the entrance if you walked past it that you could live in like a cave.

A lot of places are only seen in the near distance by serious hikers and sheep farmers a few times a year as it is. After an event - who is going to go into the badlands of nothingness? If it was anyone, it would be the same type of person - the person that would most likely want to avoid any contact with others.

(31 December 2012, 22:44)Barneyboy Wrote: that because the few own the most all that land owned by some rich twat just not on

Get some money together then and buy some land. Keep the money coming up to maintain that land and employ people on it.

dont worry about me my friend im doing ok ,but one man owning 20.000 acres in a small country like UK is not on ,most of the posh land owners in scotland are not bloody scots its not on
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!