Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
american recession
1 January 2013, 12:15, (This post was last modified: 1 January 2013, 12:23 by BDG.)
RE: american recession
(1 January 2013, 03:32)ObongoPox Wrote: Ok for those who can afford land purchase( inc legal costs).Up against the buying power of the pony-paddock crowd as well.UK planning law currently makes no distinction between a hermit's shack and an 'executive-style home' development.
Most of these theoretical BOLs we hear so much about seem lacking in substance to me.Not 'reality-proof'.

Was a guy on TV a few months ago on a program called Amazing Spaces - he brought to my attention that you could build a 'shed' on woodland if that shed was to be used for the upkeep of the woodland - he had a bunk and a wood burner in his.

There is a bit of a crack down on horsies. A lot of the ag land I see for sale local authorities will not grant PP for stables or allow change of use to equestrian - you can still keep a horse on the land for grazing, but it makes it a bit more unattractive.

As for places people do not know about, I know a bothy the bothy club does not know about - and from what I found inside it it had no one in for decades. I also know of what must of been cottages for workers involved in an industry in a rural area that must have ceased between the wars. Both are in a little disrepair, but more importantly, both are hidden by topography and both have no roads or footpaths nearby. In the case of the cottages this is because the access must have been plough up and part of a forest planted on top of it.

I have only come across such places pretty much by accident.

There must be plenty of areas like this, not to mention what is on MOD land that we do not no about.

(1 January 2013, 11:49)Barneyboy Wrote: dont worry about me my friend im doing ok ,but one man owning 20.000 acres in a small country like UK is not on ,most of the posh land owners in scotland are not bloody scots its not on

If he is going to own it and look after it, better that than it not being looked after or abused.

What you think about land ownership is neither here nor there, it is the way it is.
1 January 2013, 12:31,
(1 January 2013, 12:15)BDG Wrote:
(1 January 2013, 03:32)ObongoPox Wrote: Ok for those who can afford land purchase( inc legal costs).Up against the buying power of the pony-paddock crowd as well.UK planning law currently makes no distinction between a hermit's shack and an 'executive-style home' development.
Most of these theoretical BOLs we hear so much about seem lacking in substance to me.Not 'reality-proof'.

Was a guy on TV a few months ago on a program called Amazing Spaces - he brought to my attention that you could build a 'shed' on woodland if that shed was to be used for the upkeep of the woodland - he had a bunk and a wood burner in his.

There is a bit of a crack down on horsies. A lot of the ag land I see for sale local authorities will not grant PP for stables or allow change of use to equestrian - you can still keep a horse on the land for grazing, but it makes it a bit more unattractive.

As for places people do not know about, I know a bothy the bothy club does not know about - and from what I found inside it it had no one in for decades. I also know of what must of been cottages for workers involved in an industry in a rural area that must have ceased between the wars. Both are in a little disrepair, but more importantly, both are hidden by topography and both have no roads or footpaths nearby. In the case of the cottages this is because the access must have been plough up and part of a forest planted on top of it.

I have only come across such places pretty much by accident.

There must be plenty of areas like this, not to mention what is on MOD land that we do not no about.

(1 January 2013, 11:49)Barneyboy Wrote: dont worry about me my friend im doing ok ,but one man owning 20.000 acres in a small country like UK is not on ,most of the posh land owners in scotland are not bloody scots its not on

If he is going to own it and look after it, better that than it not being looked after or abused.

What you think about land ownership is neither here nor there, it is the way it is.

just because its the way it is does not mean its right ,with that attitude things will stay the same
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
1 January 2013, 12:42,
The issue of a perminent base is a valid one,...and the reference to building before an event is a good point,... but that is [partly] what I have already done,... I call it my bolt hole, because although I plan on bugging in, I felt I needed a back up to that,...and so I have picked a place, quite a ways from here, I found it while walking the dogs,... it was basicly a very small cave that I have slowly built onto, and turfed and camoed as I have gone on, untill I have something that would do two of us quiet comfortably if needed
A major part of survival is invisibility.
1 January 2013, 12:54,
(1 January 2013, 10:50)bigpaul Wrote: of course, like me, you could always get out there and find old EMPTY property and industrial buildings where no one has been for years!! and in a SHTF-with less people- no one else will ever find you/me again!
All credit to you for refusing their mickey-mouse,jimmy saville brainwashing.Have you considered building from scratch?An underground dwelling maybe?If so,would you be looking over your shoulder constantly during the construction process?Would it be in deep woodland?
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
1 January 2013, 13:02,
(1 January 2013, 12:54)ObongoPox Wrote:
(1 January 2013, 10:50)bigpaul Wrote: of course, like me, you could always get out there and find old EMPTY property and industrial buildings where no one has been for years!! and in a SHTF-with less people- no one else will ever find you/me again!
All credit to you for refusing their mickey-mouse,jimmy saville brainwashing.Have you considered building from scratch?An underground dwelling maybe?If so,would you be looking over your shoulder constantly during the construction process?Would it be in deep woodland?
dont know what your talking about. as for a BOL i have several picked out and they all have an existing building on them all ready to go and havent been used for years, my principal one hasnt been lived in for over 7 years and is standing empty and unlocked, and has some old furniture left behind waiting for me.....surprising what i can find, only takes getting off my arse and getting out there and looking, mind you it helps if you know WHERE to look!!TongueBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 January 2013, 13:13,
As i keep posting...underground....a cave great!! or build your own cave even better..above ground is ok...but with access to underground shelter ....the ideal would be both with loads of cover and elevated..and out the way....my dream
1 January 2013, 14:21,
(1 January 2013, 11:49)Barneyboy Wrote:
(1 January 2013, 00:40)BDG Wrote:
(31 December 2012, 22:41)ObongoPox Wrote: I'd gladly take a very basic hut in northern Scotland,but from my experience of the place these shooting estates have got it all sewn up and they wouldn't want some reclusive dude,some reclusive English(skint)dude,occupying premium space and getting in the way of the guns.
My point is that if I was in Canada I could vanish into endless forest and get away with it.Scotland has lost 98% of its natural forest.Without natural forest you lack building materials,concealment,firewood,shelter,diverse edible plants,soil fertility for cultivation.
Can you honestly tell me I wouldn't have gamekeepers all over me the first time I light a fire?As I said though,I'd jump at the chance of a legit hut or something up there.

There are plenty of places you could go in England where you would come across no one post SHTF. Sure, in boreal forest you can be happy there will be no one for miles and they will not see what you are up to. You just have to know places people do not go and pick your times of day for doing things when people - if any are going to be about - are about.

Sure, if you build a permanent base, as it stands at the moment, some one may see it. If their had been some kind of event and a lot less people wandering around? You would be safe.

There area also places in the landscape and places in old industry that spring to mind. Lots of old mineral and metal mines where you would not see the entrance if you walked past it that you could live in like a cave.

A lot of places are only seen in the near distance by serious hikers and sheep farmers a few times a year as it is. After an event - who is going to go into the badlands of nothingness? If it was anyone, it would be the same type of person - the person that would most likely want to avoid any contact with others.

(31 December 2012, 22:44)Barneyboy Wrote: that because the few own the most all that land owned by some rich twat just not on

Get some money together then and buy some land. Keep the money coming up to maintain that land and employ people on it.

dont worry about me my friend im doing, ok ,but one man owning 20.000 acres in a small country like UK is not on ,most of the posh land owners in scotland are not bloody scots its not on
Except in the case of MFI heir Paul Lister, who's attempting(against intense local opposition) to 're-wild' a vast chunk of northern Scotland,I agree with you.
1 January 2013, 14:32,
(1 January 2013, 13:13)Straight Shooter Wrote: As i keep posting...underground....a cave great!! or build your own cave even better..above ground is ok...but with access to underground shelter ....the ideal would be both with loads of cover and elevated..and out the way....my dream

And as I said earlier - mines. The country is covered on abandoned mine workers, many in very rural areas. The Yorkshire dales are covered in old mineral mines with horizontal rather than vertical shafts - most have not been worked for hundreds of years and are geologically stable.

Living in a tunnel, on a moor that is in the middle of no where. You are not going to be found.

The problem with any kind of location is for it to be remote, it has to be away from roads and pathways - and you are going to have to get materials there.
1 January 2013, 17:09,
There are many places in the West of Scotland where you can find old places to live. They need some work and in many cases a roof, but a Prepper should be able to deal with that. Many off of the beaten track and hidden in woodland. Kenneth Eames.
1 January 2013, 18:47, (This post was last modified: 1 January 2013, 18:54 by ObongoPox.)
Derelict/unoccupied buildings are just going to be sheeple magnets post-SHTF.Also,try heating the average derelict house or,worse,industrial building.What you need is something clandestinely built from scratch,ideally underground,and small enough to be easily heatable.Remember,it may be too risky to have a (gas-bottle?)wood-stove lit during the day.George Clarke's Amazing Spaces on Ch4 showed what can be achieved with minimal space.I'd try adapt an existing cave or mine-working rather than dig from scratch,though digging from scratch isn't as impossible as it sounds and does have the advantage that the choice of BOL isn't entirely influenced by what's already there.

(1 January 2013, 17:09)Kenneth Eames Wrote: There are many places in the West of Scotland where you can find old places to live. They need some work and in many cases a roof, but a Prepper should be able to deal with that. Many off of the beaten track and hidden in woodland. Kenneth EamSes.
Somebody will 'pop up' sooner rather than later and cause you varying degrees of hassle depending upon how much gear you've accumulated.What are you going to do when they order you out and all your gear's there?