Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOG Tactical Tomahawk
5 January 2013, 14:42,
SOG Tactical Tomahawk
I have been after a throwing axe for ages. Never had any luck in my local army surplus shop and seen a few reviews online of various types. Two types kept on popping up cold steal and SOG. In the end I went for SOG Tactical Tomahawk, as they have a polymer handle rather than the traditional wooden type. The OH ordered it off Amazon for me, it took just under 2 weeks to arrive witch wasn’t bad considering the sneaking gits failed to mention it was coming from America before it was ordered.

http://sogknives.com/store/F01T-N.html (sorry if the link doesnt work, i couldnt open the page with it being blocked on the coarse im on Sad )
The hawk itself is just less than 16”inches long and weighs 24oz. The blade itself is 2.75”x2.6” comes pretty sharp, but it’s easy enough to sharpen. The axe head has two circular holes in it which is quite useful to put your fingers through when sharpening. I guess you could hang it up with these holes either in a shed or in the field. The centre of the axe head on either side has a rectangular patch of bobbly metal (not the best description in the world) this is so you can use the sides like a hammer without damaging the head. On the tail end of the blade you have a spike/pry bar. So you can use it similar to a crowbar or for digging.

The main reason for choosing this hawk is the other types seem quite prone to needing replacement handles. This isn’t to bad a concern at the minute but if the SHTF I can’t order replacements whenever I need them. The handle is attached to the head with two star shaped screws/rivets and this is further held in place with 1.5” of metal wrapped around the handle. At the base of the handle is a hole to attatcha lanyard. It comes with a nylon sheath. The sheath has a belt loop and three press stud style buttons. If I’m honest I wouldn’t carry this on my belt would rather attach it to my bag.

Not had a chance to try it out properly. Need a large clear space to try throwing it. But it’s a good all round tool. So if you’re after something to intimidate sheeple (post SHTF) chopping, or breaching doors and windows this is a good all round tool. There are videos on youtube of people using this hawk on timber, metal and pvc pipe. Also another doing a handle strength review and the axe is propped up at an angle with a car driving over it without breaking it.
5 January 2013, 14:48,
RE: SOG Tactical Tomahawk
The link works,...

It looks a well balanced axe.
A major part of survival is invisibility.
5 January 2013, 15:01,
They also do a smaller version called the fasthawk
7 January 2013, 13:25,
Added to my ever growing shopping list Big Grin
7 January 2013, 16:26,
Been after a axe for ages beardy, carnt wait till I get to play with it properly