Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
introducing the ishack £410
9 January 2013, 22:13,
RE: introducing the ishack £410
There are prefabs still being lived in in Winlaton(Geordieland) and are still sort after
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
9 January 2013, 22:23,
I very nearly bought a prefab house. The estate agent selling it neglected to mention the compulsory purchase order due to be applied to the property (for almost 50% less than I was going to pay). As we were having our 2nd look at it one of the neighbours was in the garden & asked if I was daft & then told me about it.

We desperately need cheap houses & lots of them asap.
9 January 2013, 22:25, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2013, 22:26 by BDG.)
(9 January 2013, 11:07)Straight Shooter Wrote: OK lets get serious, after ww2 prefabs were manufactured and erected all over the uk ..for short term housing, i have worked on some over the years....fifty years later....THIS type on building is needed RIGHT now..with all the hitec materials now at hand we could produce some real great dwellings and all done for very little money and carried out very quickly. We could solve housing problems inside 12 months....get people on the housing ladder...create jobs and a much needed boost to get out of this depression..its that easy .....so whats stopping this sort of development......in the USA most housing is build this way..so WHY not HERE

It is not a housing problem so much as a money problem. If people want housing, they can get it, it is just not affordable to them. Rather than make housing cheaper, they should earn more.

The reason we tend not to build like this in the UK is because we build houses that last. I know quite a few guys who have done housebuild in the UK and US/Canada and they all say the same thing. In North America most housing is built to last 15-20 years. With repairs it can last longer.

In the UK, houses are built to last. My house is 120 years old and is still on its first roof. Mine has got double glazing, but some of the neighbours still have the original windows and frames. I think everyone has had the doors replaced. Everywhere will have been pointed once or twice.

Look at what happens to a lot of US housing in a storm - it is turned to matches. UK housing - a few slipped tiles on the roof.

(9 January 2013, 22:13)Ranger Wrote: There are prefabs still being lived in in Winlaton(Geordieland) and are still sort after

Most if not all of them have been overclad or been underpinned, had extra foundations added and new walls built around them.
9 January 2013, 22:51,
(9 January 2013, 22:25)BDG Wrote: Rather than make housing cheaper, they should earn more.

If only it were that simple. I would love to just earn more to afford a house. The problem though, if everyone could just earn more, would be the prices of things (such as houses) would go up. If everyone could suddenly afford £150k or whatever the average house price is then the seller is going to ask for more. Isn't it just basic supply & demand?

We need more houses for the rising population & an end to these "anyone can be a property developer" tv program's in my opinion.
9 January 2013, 22:57,
BDG,

Houses in the UK are better quality but you can build a fantastic large house for £30Ks worth of materials. The cost for houses is the land which has been increased by taxes and all the bits they have to pay the councils to build. Builders don't make the difference in profits.

The housing crisis would be solved, or should I say shifted, if they allowed anyone to build on their land without having to pay our greedy government anything. I say shifted as that would create other problems but there should be a middle ground which we in the UK never seem to ever get to.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 January 2013, 23:04,
OK guys like s13 said .....check this out http://www.geo-domes.co.uk/2v_tool.asp this link will take you to a calculator to make your own dome.....there are a few more types with the calculators this site is brilliant!!! and the guy is also brilliant.....he will make you anything you want if you want a dome.....this site is for you ......enjoy folks
10 January 2013, 00:21, (This post was last modified: 10 January 2013, 00:30 by Straight Shooter.)
don,t know what happened to the site ....this is not what i intended....i took the address of the site i saved in favorits...its not the one being displayed here....i will check it out and get back....sorry folks

OK folks try this http://www.geo-dome.co.uk

yes this is it......have a play with the calculator tool.....real cool
10 January 2013, 22:46,
(9 January 2013, 22:57)Skean Dhude Wrote: BDG,

Houses in the UK are better quality but you can build a fantastic large house for £30Ks worth of materials. The cost for houses is the land which has been increased by taxes and all the bits they have to pay the councils to build. Builders don't make the difference in profits.

The housing crisis would be solved, or should I say shifted, if they allowed anyone to build on their land without having to pay our greedy government anything. I say shifted as that would create other problems but there should be a middle ground which we in the UK never seem to ever get to.

You can build a very nice house for £30K - you can even buy a modern pre-fab designed for UK building regs for less than that.

There is no tax on land that you buy under £125/£150K depending on area, over that it is 1% - it does go up on a sliding scale to 7% for land purchased at over £2m.

Building a house on ag land is going to cost you £770 in planning for a part change of use and planning for the house. For building regs and inspection the cost will run at around £2k for one dwelling.

You build a £30K house on a £30K plot you will be paying 5% to the local authority.

The 'Housing Crisis' is nothing more than a smoke an mirrors term created for political gain. Public services are not suffering because staff cannot find anywhere in their price range to live. People have unrealistic expectations of what they can afford in certain parts of the country. Say a PC and a Staff nurse get married and buy a house in the North West - most places there they could easily get 3 bedrooms, garage, front and back gardens, conservatory, kitchen, living room, dining room.

In London - yeah, that's not going to happen.

Better we were allowed in the UK to get planning solely based on how we will impact those around us, as decided by those immediately around us within reason. Do away with regs for self builds as long as they are a certain distance from other property and the road way - let people consider their own risk.
10 January 2013, 22:53,
good post BDG..........thankyou
11 January 2013, 00:28,
(10 January 2013, 22:53)Straight Shooter Wrote: good post BDG..........thankyou

Perhaps, perhaps not, but back to the ISHACK - £410 and what is the difference - it is made from newer materials and looks nicer, it has a brick floor and solar panel to charge a light and mobile phone - but it is also promoting living in a slum.

Look at India, it has one of the most socially mobile populations in the world for a developing nation, and they give you a few minutes warning that you slum will be bulldozed there. The favellas in South America, the slums of Africa - how long will it take to clear them or is state and charity sponsored slum building an admission that people shall always live in the slums?

What could you build with waste and cheap stuff?

Something like this:

http://jamius.com/vermont4.html

Check out his site, he has lots of pictures on there and his dome appears in a lot of his youtube vids. Let he be an inspiration to what a man can do.