Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Waste
10 January 2013, 17:54,
RE: Food Waste
(10 January 2013, 17:53)Barneyboy Wrote:
(10 January 2013, 17:49)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 January 2013, 16:44)Barneyboy Wrote: foot and mouth is not deadly just uncomfortable for the beast so why do they kill them

because the animals are sick and dying of it, do you want to eat a sick animal? and yes, i believe humans have caught the disease.

i dont think it kills them BP

they are suffering and you NEVER let an animal suffer!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 January 2013, 20:15,
Couple of points from what I have read:

1. Swill is still banned, but certain waste foods can be fed

2. F&M disease can kill, but it is rare. Animals that have had it however have a lot lower yields of meat and milk - they are no good as productive stock

3. Supermarkets sell what you ask them to sell - if enough people ask enough times, they will get it in.

Now, back to what waste foods can be fed - foods that have been processed in factory conditions where there can be no contamination with meat can be fed. Second or third grade fruit and veg can be fed, but only if it has not left the farm - if it has, it needs to go through a licenced processor.

It is not worth the money on normal veg crops to send the seconds or thirds off site to be turned into animal feeds. Poor quality grains, yes, but not normal veg.

The problems with feeding swill in the past was that a lot of people did not make it properly, they would just feed the food waste rather than putting it in the swill boiler for long enough.

Swill is banned EU wide, but there has been some new evidence for the safe use of swill for pigs and chickens and it has been discussed in a positive light in parliament. Due to food waste, the cost of dealing with waste, feed costs and food cost, I can envisage swill coming back soon but I imagine it will be made in licensed plants rather than each farmer being able to knock up there own batch. Animal cannibalism will still be illegal.
10 January 2013, 20:28,
my father used to collect fish and chip shop waste and feed to over 1000 pigs from 60s to when swill baned
went out of pigs then
now all swill banned for livestock feeding even veg fruit if it passed throw a kitchen
f and m was caused i think by someone feeding ham sandwichs to pigs
should be allowed to feed just safe veg fruit fish waste again and save on waste and money with pig nuts now 9.40 a bag
10 January 2013, 22:17,
the thing is super markets would rather see it rot in a skip you can,t get at , they price this in to the price we pay....so they hold the price high and control suppliers at the same time..supply and demand again....money is key money is control ....it only works if we play along soooooo don,t play/.....grow your own ....you take control ...control your way of life not thiers....ok its work for you..but thats all it is ...there,s nothing like raising stuff from your garden and straight into the pot ....then eating it....grow and store for winter. you will not waste anything i can tell you that....don,t just sit there DO something about it.....and get with it...the penny will drop sooner or later......i hope....we are preppers ffs
10 January 2013, 22:38,
Foot and mouth can certainly kill,... I owned sheep during one f&m epidemic,.. and I had a few die,... its a disease that comes on quiet quickly, and if the foot becomes too sore then the animal stops walking,.. and if the mouth gets too sore they cant eat properly,... and sheep do not need to starve to die from lack of food,.... a sheep gets to a stage where it lies down and dies,... [a sheep will even do that if worried by a dog, even though the dog never touches the animal]

This about pig swill I know little about, except that when my dad kept two pigs years ago,.. those pigs got fed every type of food going,... we never prepared it in any way, just threw it in to them,....and as far as I know, so did everyone else that kept pigs,... I never heard of any problems
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 January 2013, 17:53,
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/370237/What-a waste
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 January 2013, 19:36,
Thats what we do grow and make your own food from stratch and buy meat, fruit, veg and milk from smallholders that we,ve got to know. I think we spent £12.97 in morrisons last week. We know what we are eating and where it has come from. We feel a whole lot better for eating organic natural food as it should be.
Failure is NOT an option
13 January 2013, 14:39,
Put yourself in the supermarkets shoes.

They buy in veg. Half of it is unable to be sold because of legislation and has to be binned. They then have to increase the cost of the good stuff. If they let people take the poor stuff, it is good enough to eat, they wouldn't need to buy the good stuff so then they would have to throw away the good stuff as it deteriorated. They would make a loss and next time they won't buy veg. Then you would be complaining there is no veg.

Supermarkets have to make a profit to survive. They can't just take money off you like the government does at the point of a gun.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 January 2013, 14:44,
half the world is throwing the food away, the other half is starving, why dont we just ship the excess to where it is needed?
13 January 2013, 20:49,
That is the reason we are in the situation we are now. People getting things for nothing whilst others pay fouble then they stop paying and it collapses.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin