Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying land - where would you buy ?
14 January 2013, 00:24,
RE: buying land - where would you buy ?
You are right, to cross the likes Roanoch Moor and then GlenCoe would be murderous, the English couldnt get through the moor it was one of the reason that the MacDonalds had to be taken by stealth

I am not sure about Applecross, its a bit high for my likeing and can be badly effected by snow

My lad is an Army Cadet, and he [and a couple of others ] have just done a walk from Kilmarnoch, [ by Glasgow ] to Fort William,..and they are fit young men,.. but he said that he wouldnt do it again for anything [ it was for charity this time ],.. for a start the terrain was far worse than he thought it was going to be...and it took them a week of hard slog,.... I doubt the average person would manage it

This part of the west coast is about as good as you are likely to find
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 January 2013, 20:18,
(12 January 2013, 13:51)bigpaul Wrote:
(12 January 2013, 13:00)Tartar Horde Wrote: Damn right there mate I would not live near any large US city, Nevada would do very nice thankyouSmile
I too love my country, but it don't love me back brotherSad

you miss understood me bro, i said COUNTY, i love living in Devon especially NORTH Devon i dont care much for the south of the county(even though that was where i was raised and brought up) too much urbanisation and FAR too many people, but the northern half is more rural and laid back and the people are friendlier!

Sorry mate I missunderstood
14 January 2013, 20:32,
(14 January 2013, 00:24)Highlander Wrote: You are right, to cross the likes Roanoch Moor and then GlenCoe would be murderous, the English couldnt get through the moor it was one of the reason that the MacDonalds had to be taken by stealth

I am not sure about Applecross, its a bit high for my likeing and can be badly effected by snow

My lad is an Army Cadet, and he [and a couple of others ] have just done a walk from Kilmarnoch, [ by Glasgow ] to Fort William,..and they are fit young men,.. but he said that he wouldnt do it again for anything [ it was for charity this time ],.. for a start the terrain was far worse than he thought it was going to be...and it took them a week of hard slog,.... I doubt the average person would manage it

This part of the west coast is about as good as you are likely to find

I was thinking of the village at Applecross down on the shore. But getting to it could be horrendous over the UK's highest pass (Bealach na Ba) - as you say, snow can make it impassable. I did it once in summer and it was as daunting as remote roads in the Pyrenees I have driven on.

I'm envious of your son's hike... I've been stuck at home for over a week with a sick baby and now I have the flu, so the thought of getting away from everyone out in the wilds... Yes please.