Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying land - where would you buy ?
11 January 2013, 16:13,
RE: buying land - where would you buy ?
(11 January 2013, 16:02)bigpaul Wrote:
(11 January 2013, 15:57)Highlander Wrote: I would prefer to buy in Scotland, certainly not europe,.. and probably in the same area I live in now,.. the only land I would buy would be wooded

i would like a mixture, say 75% woodland and 25% pasture/paddock, I would need some clear ground for growing stuff and for animals/stock at a later date, but would like the majority of the land to be wooded for firewood, timber and screening purposes.

I wasnt thinking of buying that much ...Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 January 2013, 16:24,
funnily enough....i've just been sent an auction list by a local estate agent, small(and i do mean SMALL) plots of land for sale owned by a certain water company!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 January 2013, 16:25,
(11 January 2013, 16:24)bigpaul Wrote: funnily enough....i've just been sent an auction list by a local estate agent, small(and i do mean SMALL) plots of land for sale owned by a certain water company!!!

That sounds interesting
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 January 2013, 16:28,
(11 January 2013, 16:25)Highlander Wrote:
(11 January 2013, 16:24)bigpaul Wrote: funnily enough....i've just been sent an auction list by a local estate agent, small(and i do mean SMALL) plots of land for sale owned by a certain water company!!!

That sounds interesting

yeah, could be....ranging from £1,000 up to £25,000....but their all in Somerset not Devon...pity!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 January 2013, 18:10,
Re. Spain, it depends on your time horizon and whether you want to grow food. It'll be a desert in a couple of decades.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
11 January 2013, 18:13,
Spain is too hot for me, and after TSHTF you'd be "Those Accursed English foreigners"!!Big Grin
11 January 2013, 18:28,
If I was thinking about a long-term relocation, e.g. looking for land for a homestead, I think my priorities would be as follows:

1. Water - a location that provides sufficient rainfall for irrigation and harvesting for personal use
2. Low population density and away from major cities
3. Good soil
4. Not too cold, to minimise energy usage for heating
5. Ample sunlight for solar energy
6. Near the sea, for access to fishing and seafood-foraging (and, ultimately, communication)

North West Spain would fit many of these criteria, but not the South. I think the "Accursed English Foreigners" problem would depend on how well one had integrated into the local community, and over what time scale but, agreed, it would always potentially be an underlying issue.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
11 January 2013, 18:41,
personally, i'd stay away from the coast as that is where most people will be, i dont want to be near people post SHTF.
12 January 2013, 11:30,
if I had the money I would leave the UK as fast as I could and buy land in the USA where it is less crowded, there are some amazing land offers at the current time due to the amount of foreclosures over there.
12 January 2013, 11:40,
(12 January 2013, 11:30)Tartar Horde Wrote: if I had the money I would leave the UK as fast as I could and buy land in the USA where it is less crowded, there are some amazing land offers at the current time due to the amount of foreclosures over there.

yeah if you could get FAR out but i wouldnt want to be anywhere near any of those toxic dumps they call their cities-far too dangerous and getting worse by the minute. personally if i could have emigrated to Canada back in the late 70s when i was over there but its too late now, i LOVE my county and cant see me living anywhere else.