Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying land - where would you buy ?
12 January 2013, 13:00,
RE: buying land - where would you buy ?
Damn right there mate I would not live near any large US city, Nevada would do very nice thankyouSmile
I too love my country, but it don't love me back brotherSad
12 January 2013, 13:51,
(12 January 2013, 13:00)Tartar Horde Wrote: Damn right there mate I would not live near any large US city, Nevada would do very nice thankyouSmile
I too love my country, but it don't love me back brotherSad

you miss understood me bro, i said COUNTY, i love living in Devon especially NORTH Devon i dont care much for the south of the county(even though that was where i was raised and brought up) too much urbanisation and FAR too many people, but the northern half is more rural and laid back and the people are friendlier!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 January 2013, 15:57,
try this one for size: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...pment.html
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 January 2013, 17:50, (This post was last modified: 12 January 2013, 17:52 by Highlander.)
Remember there has to be practical reasoning here, the wilds of any country always sounds great, but practicaly they might just be too wild,.. I doubt that any of us here are mountain men with any experience.

Depending on where you go you will have a lot more than wilderness to think about, you would have to take into consideration winter, extream cold, wild animals, who here has experience of bears or moose, what if you got sick,.. something as small as a splinter could kill you,... even bing able to navigate deep woodland is not as easy as it might sound

.... and these sort of place might not be too far from town,... go deeper and you might be considered mad....Smile

(12 January 2013, 15:57)bigpaul Wrote: try this one for size: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...pment.html

Now, thats nice,..what a pity its in the States though
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 January 2013, 17:57, (This post was last modified: 12 January 2013, 18:08 by bigpaul.)
(12 January 2013, 17:50)Highlander Wrote: you would have to take into consideration winter, extreme cold, wild animals what if you got sick.

.... and these sort of place might not be too far from town,... go deeper and you might be considered mad....Smile

would suit me, many people have thought me mad over the years!Big Grin

i would love to be a mountain man!Tongue
12 January 2013, 22:21,
(12 January 2013, 17:57)bigpaul Wrote:
(12 January 2013, 17:50)Highlander Wrote: you would have to take into consideration winter, extreme cold, wild animals what if you got sick.

would suit me, many people have thought me mad over the years!Big Grin

Your mad Bro.... mad...Dodgy
13 January 2013, 10:08,
(12 January 2013, 22:21)Highlander Wrote:
(12 January 2013, 17:57)bigpaul Wrote: would suit me, many people have thought me mad over the years!Big Grin

Your mad Bro.... mad...Dodgy

yeah, lot of people have thought so over the years, i'm not mad just DIFFERENT!!Big Grin
13 January 2013, 13:51,
My wife's grandparents are from Kamchatka... No, I don't think we'd be buying there.

In the UK:

1. Scotland NW of the Great Glen, especially Lochaber W of Fort William, but in a low lying area with a decent micro climate (they exist). Possibly close to Portree on Skye for access to healthcare (essential because I have 2 toddlers). Soil isn't bad there either, which is unusual for that area in general.

2. SW Scotland (e.g. Wigtownshire).

3. Western Wales or inner Snowdonia, again low lying.

Europe:

1. Pyreneean foothills, but only if you speak French.

2. E Swiss Alps, but only if you speak fluent German, are very wealthy, Calvinistic Protestant, and politically isolationist / decentralised.

3. Baltic islands, e.g. off the coast of Estonia. Downside is the Baltic states are on Russia's doorstep.

I'm in a rush, hence I haven't elaborated, but that's my own favourites for now.
13 January 2013, 17:34,
The weather was one of the reason we came to this house over 20 years ago before we were prepers,.. west of Fort William has really great weather,.. this year for instance we had one of our best summers for years,..dispite whe rain others had,.. we very rarely get snow,..we have it all around us on the hills now, but not at low levels, and I doubt we will,.. and if I am wrong it will be for maybe a day or two, we sometimes get that much

Portree on Skye is good, certainly no further north, as it gets very windy on the `misty Isle`
13 January 2013, 23:30,
I've been to Portree to check it out and Applecross as well, just researching potential retreat locales in NW Scotland. I like the fact that NW Scotland has the lowest population density in W Europe and is blocked from Scotland's population centres by the mountains.

People seem to think that because the Highlands are not of the same scale as the Alps that the mountains are no great barrier; I say that to the average refugee / displaced urbanite with zero preparedness and survival skills, they would be every bit as impassable in a grid down situation as higher ranges. When the Lords of the Isles were being put down, the Scottish government in those times felt it impossible to tackle them overland so they sent ships around the north coast of Scotland to attack from the sea. That says something for the difficulty in penetrating those mountains without modern transport.