Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prepers retreat
11 January 2013, 18:54,
RE: Prepers retreat
(11 January 2013, 18:24)bigpaul Wrote:
(11 January 2013, 18:16)Highlander Wrote: lol.... when I think about it,... it had to be a Quad,.. you cant get a vehical there,....

if you go onto the map it shows it near the A861 and if you put the little man onto the map you can see what looks like a tarmaced road going off it??

The A861 is on the north west side of the loch, the house is on the south east side, the A861 goes inland about four miles from the village, where it leaves the Lochside there is a narrow tarmaced road that leads down to a farm on the shore of the loch,... the pier to get to the house is at the farm,... this is the only way to get to the house

The side that the house is on, is nothing but mountain,... if you were a good trecker, then you could start walking, but you would have to go over Ben Resipole [ mountain ] and the Clash Mor, a large bog,.. and you wouldnt do it in a day
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 January 2013, 19:04,
(11 January 2013, 18:54)Highlander Wrote: The A861 is on the north west side of the loch, the house is on the south east side, the A861 goes inland about four miles from the village, where it leaves the Lochside there is a narrow tarmaced road that leads down to a farm on the shore of the loch,... the pier to get to the house is at the farm,... this is the only way to get to the house

The side that the house is on, is nothing but mountain,... if you were a good trecker, then you could start walking, but you would have to go over Ben Resipole [ mountain ] and the Clash Mor, a large bog,.. and you wouldnt do it in a day
would probably be a good place POST SHTF but i think it would be a pain trying to get all your preps there pre SHTF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 January 2013, 20:28,
Fill the boat,..and pull a couple more along behind,... wouldnt take too long,..worth it too,...sadly its a lot of cash to find,... but I like the place a lot
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 January 2013, 20:34,
(11 January 2013, 20:28)Highlander Wrote: Fill the boat,..and pull a couple more along behind,... wouldnt take too long,..worth it too,...sadly its a lot of cash to find,... but I like the place a lot

yes, i'd like a place like that.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 January 2013, 23:10,
Certainly more than you'd get in the Home Counties for £365k, and with a view to die for. I could put up with a fair bit of hardship with a view like that to lift my spirits every morning. That's partly why I also enjoy living in the Highlands.

One man's meat is another man's poison. The very characteristic that causes properties in the south to be desirable and, therefore, overpriced (i.e. being close to everything, at the centre of the action), actually becomes a liability when thinking from a prepping viewpoint. In this case, the remote location of the property in question becomes the desirable characteristic and is worth paying a premium for IMHO.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
12 January 2013, 10:38,
(11 January 2013, 23:10)Tarrel Wrote: Certainly more than you'd get in the Home Counties for £365k, and with a view to die for. I could put up with a fair bit of hardship with a view like that to lift my spirits every morning. That's partly why I also enjoy living in the Highlands.

One man's meat is another man's poison. The very characteristic that causes properties in the south to be desirable and, therefore, overpriced (i.e. being close to everything, at the centre of the action), actually becomes a liability when thinking from a prepping viewpoint. In this case, the remote location of the property in question becomes the desirable characteristic and is worth paying a premium for IMHO.

trouble in the south west is apart from it being the most expensive area outside London is getting the right sort of property, if you go for more land you end up with a 4 or 5 bed property which is too big just for 2 people, better to get a smaller property and spend some money on it to get what we really want than buy a more expensive property.
13 January 2013, 23:42,
There is a 3 acre parcel behind my place in the same situation. The owner can not give it away.

We call the situation of this estate as being "landlocked" here in the states. The place was sold with no right of way too the road, probably origionally due to a family dispute over who got which parcels in inheritance.

Over here the land would be considered worthless, even with boat and quad thrown in.

There is probably a road 1/4 mile across the fields with no right of way to access it. No real "isolation", just inconvinience.
15 January 2013, 13:39,
nice place highlander

well out of my price range unfortunately
19 January 2013, 06:32,
If I had the cash I would certainly buy it. I love the area. The West Coast of Scotland has many beautiful areas like this and many small islands with dwellings as well. Kenneth Eames.