Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trusting strangers
13 January 2013, 19:32, (This post was last modified: 13 January 2013, 19:33 by Geordie_Rob.)
RE: Trusting strangers
(13 January 2013, 19:24)bigpaul Wrote:
(13 January 2013, 18:44)Geordie_Rob Wrote:
(13 January 2013, 16:39)bigpaul Wrote: never heard of boarding up your windows then ?? its what they did in WW2 its called a "Black out"!Cool

I have several 8'x4' sheets of black corrugated plastic (correx is the brand name) ready for just this purpose. Very lightweight, easy to sort out without help & can be stuck to walls with just Duck Tape (interior as I'm not sure how they would hold up in strong winds). I've also got plywood & wood battens (think its correct spelling) ready for exterior incase I need something more substantial.

good find, i've never heard of correx i'll have to google it, sounds ideal well done.

This is the stuff I bought. Only 2mm thick so easy to cut to shape/size if needed & cheap as chips to boot.

25 full size sheets for less than £90 delivered to your door.

http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/correx-sheet-s...ck-oCORREX

For those not familiar with correx, it's basically the stuff used for "For Sale" signs.
13 January 2013, 19:34,
I saw the black Correx at 6mm for £175 a pack of ten and thought it a bit steep,..I didnt see the 2mm,... a far better price

but as an alternative wouldnt a tin of black paint and a couple of coats would do the job just as well.
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 January 2013, 19:38,
The paint probably would do the job but then I thought the correx would be easier to put up & take down again as needed. With them down, sunlight can come in during the day & give the appearance of you're not hiding anything. Then at night stick them back up again & get the candles on the go.
13 January 2013, 21:18,
(13 January 2013, 19:38)Geordie_Rob Wrote: The paint probably would do the job but then I thought the correx would be easier to put up & take down again as needed. With them down, sunlight can come in during the day & give the appearance of you're not hiding anything. Then at night stick them back up again & get the candles on the go.

Aye,.. good point.... Idea
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 January 2013, 21:56,
I have to point out I didn't specifically buy it for this purpose. I wanted some for emergency waterproofing repairs for my shed & thought I may aswell get the 25 & the rest would come in handy some time. That's when I had the idea of window blackouts.

It's also handy for making emergency quick shelters.
14 January 2013, 17:59,
Correx is nothing but cardboard made from plastic.

The paperboard will black out windows just as well, if used on the inside, and can be had for free out the back door of the local liquer store on delivery day.

It is also a good insulator for leaky walls if your BOL is not a million pound estate on the lakefront but happens to be an abandoned shed in a thicket or on your garden allotment.
14 January 2013, 21:26,
(14 January 2013, 17:59)Mortblanc Wrote: Correx is nothing but cardboard made from plastic.

The paperboard will black out windows just as well, if used on the inside, and can be had for free out the back door of the local liquer store on delivery day.

It is also a good insulator for leaky walls if your BOL is not a million pound estate on the lakefront but happens to be an abandoned shed in a thicket or on your garden allotment.

Spot on mate. But with 1 great advantage. It's waterproof so won't go soggy if it gets wet.

Good point about the insulator. I never considered that.