Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trusting strangers
13 January 2013, 14:31,
RE: Trusting strangers
BP,

That is fine. You are preping for that.

That is how you prep but the rest of us see involvement with others when things calm down. I would live alone if necessary but the longer term involves people.

What are your plans for when one of you gets ill or pops off?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 January 2013, 14:34, (This post was last modified: 13 January 2013, 14:40 by bigpaul.)
(13 January 2013, 14:31)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP,

That is fine. You are preping for that.

That is how you prep but the rest of us see involvement with others when things calm down. I would live alone if necessary but the longer term involves people.

What are your plans for when one of you gets ill or pops off?

people only let you down, after the apocalypse will be no different. when one of us gets ill the other nurses, if one of us dies the other carries on alone...simples.

in any case who says its going to "calm down"? there might be such a large die off that you could be alone in your area for 10,20,30 years, it may take 100 years for the population to come back to "normal" levels, it may never! what are you going to do if its like that? you've survived, but you cant stand it without people so you commit suicide cos your so lonely, bit of a waste..what"
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 January 2013, 14:50,
As i said earlier its the time scale that WILL decide when you will interact with others....that is if you have been able to evade contact for some time ...that in itself means you are in a good place....so why bother, as SD said what if you are ill and in need of help ( your little boy ) lets say ......i would seek out that help at any cost.....sooner or later we ALL would have to make contact wheather you like it or not...that WILL happen....lets keep it real.....its not just about our survival "the first wave" what about the children following on...TRAIN THEM WELL folks
13 January 2013, 14:52,
i understand your side of it BP but as SD has brought up what happens when one person gets ill? its all good saying you would look after each other but what if its not a quick heal? what if its life long care? could you still manage to go out hunting, maintain your shelter, control security etc

im not saying we couldnt live without other people, with the correct training and providing all goes well it could be done. but having others around could certainly make things easier.
13 January 2013, 15:05, (This post was last modified: 13 January 2013, 15:16 by bigpaul.)
I think there is a lot of people on preppers forums around the world who think "the Apocalypse" is all going to be over in 3 months and then they can all go back to their regular jobs and everything is OK again, well i dont believe that, i think it will be unimagineable and worse that everyone thinks, and when we do eventually come out the other side EVERYTHING is going to be completely different and it will NEVER go back to the way it was.

was talking to a friend of mine,another prepper, just before christmas, and we came to the conclusion there are a lot of people out there who just dont realise how bad it will be and are not prepared .
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 January 2013, 15:30,
Yes BP i also think people do not understand the time scale and how bad things WILL become ..even some preppers...life as we know it will not exist full stop! people that will survive..will rely on the knowledge they have learned to a point...the tipping point will be when that knowledge will A. be lost or B.the materials...tools....cannot be remade.....to many think it will be a short upheaval then all will be back to normal 18 months tops...well i don,t think so....sorry to say
13 January 2013, 15:42,
(13 January 2013, 15:30)Straight Shooter Wrote: Yes BP i also think people do not understand the time scale and how bad things WILL become ..even some preppers...life as we know it will not exist full stop! people that will survive..will rely on the knowledge they have learned to a point...the tipping point will be when that knowledge will A. be lost or B.the materials...tools....cannot be remade.....to many think it will be a short upheaval then all will be back to normal 18 months tops...well i don,t think so....sorry to say

thank you SS, thats at least 3 of us who think this, isnt it funny that its the elders that do?Tongue
13 January 2013, 16:10,
im under no impression that the world will go back to the way it is/was after a couple of months if i was i wouldnt be on here Smile

but i strongly belive in a post SHTF world trying to survive on your own would be suicide, because even if you owned your own BOL out in the sticks you will have to heat it (most likely fire, fire needs fuel, burning fuel makes smoke, smoke smells and is visable a long way off) or what about gathering food (you have to leave your BOL, hunt or forage, haul it back, what about the other things that want that food too). doing these things means you have to leave or potentially reveal yourself, if im going to have to go out side my BOL where there could be gangs of starving heroin addicted charvas i would rather have someone watching my back Big Grin
13 January 2013, 16:18,
(13 January 2013, 16:10)Hex Wrote: im under no impression that the world will go back to the way it is/was after a couple of months if i was i wouldnt be on here Smile

but i strongly belive in a post SHTF world trying to survive on your own would be suicide, because even if you owned your own BOL out in the sticks you will have to heat it (most likely fire, fire needs fuel, burning fuel makes smoke, smoke smells and is visable a long way off) or what about gathering food (you have to leave your BOL, hunt or forage, haul it back, what about the other things that want that food too). doing these things means you have to leave or potentially reveal yourself, if im going to have to go out side my BOL where there could be gangs of starving heroin addicted charvas i would rather have someone watching my back Big Grin
a BOL needs to be out in the middle of nowhere, far away from any route the starving masses would use, not on A or B roads, precautions CAN be taken so that wood smoke is not seen or smelt, if i'm in an area where i can be found then its my fault, however i've got about 7 or 8 BOL's lined up in case of TSHF if one is compromised i move onto the next one.
13 January 2013, 16:21, (This post was last modified: 13 January 2013, 16:30 by Highlander.)
(13 January 2013, 10:16)bigpaul Wrote:
(12 January 2013, 22:04)Highlander Wrote: This is the real answer to this question,..., we prep to live though a situation, not to be isolated for years when we dont need to be,..

if someone has survived by their own actions why do they EVER need anyone else after that? by surviving alone or in a family group we have proved that we can survive and thrive alone. i guess some people just NEED to be around other people but i'm NOT one of them.

sorry, but i dont understand this compunction to be with other people, most people will lie, cheat and even kill sometimes to get what they want, post SHTF this behaviour will be 100 times worse, we have a civilisation now which seems to be of the "me, me, me" and " i want it, it's my right" school of thought and after any event this would only get worse, with people resorting to violence and murder to get what the want.most people are not nice to be around and in some situations they can be downright nasty.

There is a difference between living in isolation, and being completly isolated.

I would also love to live in isolation, but I would also like to restock myself from others or to buy something that has worn out or been lost

To be incomplete isolation,.. (a) you would need to be a very special person, which there are very few about,.. or extreamly well trained,...Oh,..and a nutter...Big Grin

I also understand that the world would be a different place,..and yes it might take a hell of a long time before things settle down,.... but it certainly will not take as long as you are saying,.... for one thing, even if we dont survive as a nation, then you can be assured that some other foriegn power will be in under the flag of `helping a friend`.

...and secondly, where in this country could you possibly hide out for years without being seen by someone
A major part of survival is invisibility.