Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trusting strangers
13 January 2013, 16:31,
RE: Trusting strangers
(13 January 2013, 16:21)Highlander Wrote: To be incomplete isolation,.. (a) you would need to be a very special person, which there are very few about,.. or extreamly well trained,...Oh,..and a nutter...Big Grin

thats me then...on all 3 counts!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 January 2013, 16:34,
(13 January 2013, 16:31)bigpaul Wrote:
(13 January 2013, 16:21)Highlander Wrote: To be incomplete isolation,.. (a) you would need to be a very special person, which there are very few about,.. or extreamly well trained,...Oh,..and a nutter...Big Grin

thats me then...on all 3 counts!Big Grin

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 January 2013, 16:35,
(13 January 2013, 16:21)Highlander Wrote: I also understand that the world would be a different place,..and yes it might take a hell of a long time before things settle down,.... but it certainly will not take as long as you are saying,.... for one thing, even if we dont survive as a nation, then you can be assured that some other foriegn power will be in under the flag of `helping a friend`.

...and secondly, where in this country could you possibly hide out for years without being seen by someone

i think you could be surprised how long it takes to settle down, and as for foreign powers you can forget them, if it affects the UK then the chances are it will be global they'll have their own problems. NOW, as to where i can hide out for years without being seen, I AINT TELLINGTongue thats my secret!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 January 2013, 16:37,
finding complete isolation in the UK is not an easy thing to do and every minute of every day it gets harder due to rising population.

the smoke was just an example Smile but heres another, unless your BOL is underground you would also have to maintain light discipline, light travels a long way at night.

but remember some of the actions you take to prepare could give you away just as much as a big sign saying ''FOOD HERE'' on your door Smile
13 January 2013, 16:39,
never heard of boarding up your windows then ?? its what they did in WW2 its called a "Black out"!Cool
13 January 2013, 16:51,
ah but what if you didnt own your bug out location pre SHTF? i live about 15 miles from my initial BOL and i dont own it either so that would be out of the window for me atleast initially. to have a pre existing BOL prepped and stored ready for something to happen i would consider you very lucky Smile
13 January 2013, 17:49,
There is a lot of good points and food for thought, I have allways worked on the principle that lone wolves will not survive, The main reason I am on this site is that I do not want to be a lone wolf. The key is making contacts who we know we can trust now, I read on a prepping site go it alone, and you only have a 20% chance of survival, a group/team 80% chance of survival. Making contacts now YES, making contacts after TSHTF not good in my mind.
13 January 2013, 17:58, (This post was last modified: 13 January 2013, 18:05 by bigpaul.)
(13 January 2013, 17:49)Spandex228 Wrote: There is a lot of good points and food for thought, I have allways worked on the principle that lone wolves will not survive, The main reason I am on this site is that I do not want to be a lone wolf.

depends on the lone wolf i guess, some people dont need or want other around them post SHTF cos they dont trust anyone that much, which is how this thread got started Big Grin

(13 January 2013, 16:51)Hex Wrote: ah but what if you didnt own your bug out location pre SHTF? i live about 15 miles from my initial BOL and i dont own it either so that would be out of the window for me atleast initially. to have a pre existing BOL prepped and stored ready for something to happen i would consider you very lucky Smile

who said i owned them? what all 8? but they are all there waiting for me, being out in the countryside helps, mostly they are old farm cottages, some barns and some water company structures, unused and unwanted and were abandoned many years ago, its about knowing where to look and going out a finding such places.
13 January 2013, 18:44,
(13 January 2013, 16:39)bigpaul Wrote: never heard of boarding up your windows then ?? its what they did in WW2 its called a "Black out"!Cool

I have several 8'x4' sheets of black corrugated plastic (correx is the brand name) ready for just this purpose. Very lightweight, easy to sort out without help & can be stuck to walls with just Duck Tape (interior as I'm not sure how they would hold up in strong winds). I've also got plywood & wood battens (think its correct spelling) ready for exterior incase I need something more substantial.
13 January 2013, 19:24,
(13 January 2013, 18:44)Geordie_Rob Wrote:
(13 January 2013, 16:39)bigpaul Wrote: never heard of boarding up your windows then ?? its what they did in WW2 its called a "Black out"!Cool

I have several 8'x4' sheets of black corrugated plastic (correx is the brand name) ready for just this purpose. Very lightweight, easy to sort out without help & can be stuck to walls with just Duck Tape (interior as I'm not sure how they would hold up in strong winds). I've also got plywood & wood battens (think its correct spelling) ready for exterior incase I need something more substantial.

good find, i've never heard of correx i'll have to google it, sounds ideal well done.