Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Situation in Co Durham
22 January 2013, 20:22,
RE: Situation in Co Durham
i run it on timber ....MUST BE DRY.... and some coal ( egg shaped type re constituted stuff ) this burns down to a fine dust that go,s on the garden and dug in.... gives good heat...the price is good £280.00 a ton down here..i have mixed this in cement for paths works well....the secret is DRY if you now...log and split now then store pack it up in rows so the wind can get at it cover the top with a plastic sheet you can lay the rows against a wall in a field so long as air can get around it....the bad bit is it will take 18 months to dry,,(unless its ash ) you can cut log split an use in 2 months When you use DRY wood you will ....use less....double the heat output.....pine....clean the flue every 2 weeks ....yes every 2 weeks ... and give the rayburn a good BLAST every week to burn off in flue deposits...hope this helps pal
23 January 2013, 00:36,
RE: Situation in Co Durham
(22 January 2013, 20:22)Straight Shooter Wrote: i run it on timber ....MUST BE DRY.... and some coal ( egg shaped type re constituted stuff ) this burns down to a fine dust that go,s on the garden and dug in.... gives good heat...the price is good £280.00 a ton down here..i have mixed this in cement for paths works well....the secret is DRY if you now...log and split now then store pack it up in rows so the wind can get at it cover the top with a plastic sheet you can lay the rows against a wall in a field so long as air can get around it....the bad bit is it will take 18 months to dry,,(unless its ash ) you can cut log split an use in 2 months When you use DRY wood you will ....use less....double the heat output.....pine....clean the flue every 2 weeks ....yes every 2 weeks ... and give the rayburn a good BLAST every week to burn off in flue deposits...hope this helps pal

Cheers. We run ours on a mixture of softwood and heat-logs, plus coal to bank it down overnight. I don't think our wood is dry enough, hence using the heat-logs. Still have trouble getting the oven up to a reasonable temp. though.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.