Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flour use by
19 January 2013, 08:28,
Flour use by
18 months ago i brought 2 bags of allinson bread flour which i intended to run out of date, these bags are a year out of date. I opened one yesterday it looks fine, it smells fine and there are no weevils in it.
So i made my normal bread with it the bread has come out absolutely lovely i would no as far as saying it was one of my best loafs. It taste great. It rose well both in the first stage and second stage of proving. The bread had a great crust and colour, it cut well and has a good texture and crumb.
I will be keeping the second pack of flour unopened for another year and then try and bake a loaf next year this time. I kept mine in the utility room cupboards so there was no special storage for it. I did'nt even put it in the freeze for a few hours to kill off any weevil eggs. I thought you guys would like this info.
Failure is NOT an option
19 January 2013, 10:03,
RE: Flour use by
Thanks for this.
I bought some nearly out of date flour yesterday and whilst I had an inkling it would last, info like this is great for even just confirming suspicions we have.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
21 January 2013, 07:05,
I have flour in the cupboard from April 2010. A friend of mine, a Master Baker, has used flour that was ten years old and still produced excellent bread. Kenneth Eames.
29 March 2013, 18:37,
i used some baking powder the other day that expired 4 years ago. worked fine. tested it in water, wasnt as active as newer baking powder, so i used a bit more.

salt, sugar and honey stay good for very long time. if honey crystallizes put it in the sun and it'll get gooey again.
22 May 2013, 16:32,
Is this with any and all flour types? Would I be better to open the flour and put in Tupperware boxes to keep dry?
22 May 2013, 16:46,
I dont open mine, just wrap it in a carrier bag and place it in your chosen container and long as it remains perfectly dry, it will be fine
A major part of survival is invisibility.