Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to survive snow - Except teachers
19 January 2013, 10:32,
How to survive snow - Except teachers
Ok, when I was a lad you went to school. If it rained, you went to school. If it was windy, you went to school. If it snowed, you most certainly went to school, coz that's where all the fun was.

What's this got to do with prepping ? Well, nothing if you are a teacher because at the first flurry you don your onesies and bleat at the tops of your voices about elf & safety, dangerous foot path in front of the staff room and over excited kids.

Seriously, this dross was served up on Radio 2 yesterday by no less than a Head Teacher. She sounded unconvincing and the presenter made her look the fool she was. Her increasingly shrill voice said it all. Just another excuse not to go to work.

Thing is, 30 years ago cars where shite compared to the ones we have today. You had to juggle choke, steering, wiping windscreen and no seatbelts. Still we made it to school, and the teachers were all proudly there, waiting to clip the ear of anyone making excuses such as black ice, drifts or blocked roads.

Back to prepping. I have snow shovels, salt, chains for my car and an extra few things in case I am unfortunate enough to be stuck. Not because I cant drive in snow, I can, but the numpty in front who went 40 in a 30 zone before realising you can stop on ice at that speed.

Look Teech, seriously, you set a bad example. You are the only industry that comes to a stop when it snows. Well, not the only one, Lido's do have a fair excuse though. You talk elf & Safety, yet a 747 with 6 million people on board can land and take off.

Stop bleating like petty-fogging jobsworths, grow a pair and get into school like our old school teachers used to, with dignity and pride, instead of sounding like a bloody victim all the time.

Rant over !!
19 January 2013, 11:51,
RE: How to survive snow - Except teachers
All to do with the nanny state we live in and the media. Anyone see the BBC snow special last night what a load of crock. It should have been giving advice how to keep warm etc. Not telling us what we have seen and know.
Failure is NOT an option
19 January 2013, 11:53,
if we lived in a country like Canada we would be ready for the snow, but when it happens here everything grinds to a halt.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 January 2013, 13:15,
I got sick of people complaining about the blizzard, it was just snow I walked to work
19 January 2013, 14:01,
I work in a cathedral school. Our head received a circular "Departmental Head" email from the Chapter Office saying that all staff in her department should be sent home and work from home the following day? Eh and what do we do with the children - particularly the boarders?!

Needless to say the only time we have closed in the 12 years I have been a parent or member of staff was when access to the school was physically blocked and potentially dangerous. But the Chapter Office work at home at the first snowflake.
19 January 2013, 14:07,
I cycled 2 miles over ice on the back lanes to get to the bus for an exam on Wednesday, it's just about do-able if you take it slowly.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
19 January 2013, 14:10,
I walk to work every morning (about six-ish) no matter what the weather. It's only one mile and level. yet, yesterday evening, the supervisor at our depot offered to pick me up in the morning in case it was too difficult due to the snow. WTF! It's barely a couple of inches and everybody's crapping themselves, but they're even more shit scared of walking short distances because it means getting off their fat arses and putting some effort in.
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
19 January 2013, 14:59,
I was under the impression that teachers were there to teach. In my youth we were told that we should look up to our teachers and let them set an example of how we should behave and live etc.. To a certain extent they were 'surrogate parents', there to educate you in the subjects that your parents could not.
Then I came across the saying 'those who can do, those who can't teach' and my focus altered a little. It was then that I realised why some of the teachers in school were just not getting their subject across to me. They were not interested and just got paid to turn up. If you did not understand what they were saying then that was your problem not theirs.
Now their employers have given them the weapon of health and safety which they will mercilessly use at any given point. The days of the dedicated teacher are gone just like a lot of the good old values that once existed. A great shame but a fact of life that we all have to deal with nonetheless.
19 January 2013, 19:35, (This post was last modified: 19 January 2013, 19:38 by Hexyprep.)
I'm Canadian still waiting for the snow!

But seriously... teachers are not all looking for a day off! My daughters school has not closed once any year! They basically say... we are open unless we physically can not get in... several are local... so as I say the school has not yet closed.
19 January 2013, 19:58,
Have you not heard of british snow its much worse than snow anywere else in the world, 2inches here=20 foot elsewere lol