• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quails
21 January 2013, 23:45,
RE: Quails
Im going to have to have a trip to these auctions
22 January 2013, 13:07,
the eggs sell well ,and are nice to eat
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
22 January 2013, 13:29,
This Pelaw place sounds interesting. Where exactly is it?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 January 2013, 15:08,
Its an area in s.tyneside/gateshead. The auction is a fur, fin and feather
22 January 2013, 17:29,
How often are they and when is the next one?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 January 2013, 17:56,
Its on every saturday, possibly shut over winter will find out and let you know, is this going to be a northeast meet up point?
22 January 2013, 17:57, (This post was last modified: 22 January 2013, 17:57 by BDG.)
Every Saturday morning, takes entries from 8am, general junk auction from 9am, sometimes starts later, animal auction normally from 11am. Anyone going let me know that you will be there, we can try and guess who is who?

It is on over winter, might be an idea to do a meet up there, I go quite regular.
22 January 2013, 18:34,
I have Japanese quails, they lay well, are not noisy and do not need too much space. Very friendly too.
They do jump very high, but usually only do this while they are getting used to the new space or if they are scared.
Our coop doesn't have a high roof as once settled they don't jump and then the hight is pretty pointless as ours anyhow don't use the perches.
I saw someone selling eggs at a farmers market and asked them if they sold the live birds... they did. Thats how I got my 4. I only have females right now but plan on getting a male this year.
22 January 2013, 20:00,
Hexy do you feed them chicken food? What other food can they have fruit/veg? Do they need grit like other birds. For eggs do they require a nest? If so what bedding materials should I ise?
23 January 2013, 00:45, (This post was last modified: 23 January 2013, 00:47 by Hexyprep.)
They need grit, and the occational bit of cooked egg or egg shell crushed into their food (supposedly makes the eggs stronger/laying better). They love meal worm will take a bit of fruit and veg, really its trial and error as if they don't like it they wont eat it. However I tend to stay clear of acidic fruits. I have never found 'quail food' but but bird seed for small birds like sparrows they like and chicken feed is fine, they also like sunflower seeds.
Quails like grass, not sure if they actually eat it or just like to peck at it, but we stick bunched through the chicken wire for them to pull out.
They also like bugs, our quail hutch surrounds our apple tree so they get things falling off the tree and love it.
They are funny lovely birds, nice meat and nice but very small eggs.
Hope this helps.

They don't need a nest they tend to lay absolutly anywhere!
We have an old rabbit hutch as a shelter with a bit of straw inside. They often lay there but we can find eggs in any area... sometimes partly buried with mud. They are not fussy where they lay.