Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended purchases
21 September 2011, 13:43,
RE: Recommended purchases
Skean,
The trouble with going to a larger capacity on a pump is the magazine tube is difficult to un-restrict without replacing it completely.
On the question of cheap pumps the extractor tends to wear with age and the complexity is a questionable virtue compared to a double, unless you go for a new gun that is.
For interest I did some practical shotgun speed trials comparing a single ejector, a non-ejector double and a semi-auto, all reloading from a cartridge belt. Results: 1st shot obviously all equal; 2nd shot double and semi-auto faster than single; 3rd shot semi-auto fastest, then single, then double; 4th shot semi-auto fastest, then double, then single; 5th shot semi-auto fastest, then double and single close, 6th shot double fastest then single then semi-auto. Semi-auto was a 4 in the tube and one in the chamber and was reloaded with 4 shells.
I would expect a pump to be a little slower than the semi-auto which leads me to suspect a double with ejector may be a close runner for 3 shots and above. However my choice is a 3" magnum pump multi choke with AAA or SG cartridges for WTSHTF.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
21 September 2011, 13:54,
But nothing is as well recognised as a pump gun being pumped.

Although I do like some auto loaders. I'm thinking of maintenance. Pump is fairly easy and next is the doubles. I prefer the look of the OU (Over and Under) rather than the standard double.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 September 2011, 14:46,
I had a newish Browning 5-shot semi-auto with multi-chokes and found it very fiddly but a very nice piece of kit. I let my licence lapse when I had to work overseas but this time, like you, I'm going for a pump. I had an old one some years ago but it played-up with malfunctions and jams when I racked it fast but it was quite well-used and probably needed a visit to the gunsmith.
Brian
Advice is what you seek when you know the answer but wish you didn't
21 September 2011, 16:35,
Thanks fellers I will definately go with 12 gauge and double barrel but what are your thoughts on lever action? eg http://chiappafirearms.com/product/831 the 24" version obviously. Anywho it is out of my price range so it is moot for the time being.
21 September 2011, 18:31,
Looks good. I think I will add that to my shopping list as well. Not seen one of those on sale in the UK though. Although, with limiting the magazine it would be OK.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 October 2011, 00:15,
Just to add my own little bit in case anyone else from my part of the country peruses this thread... Gun laws in Northern Ireland are much more relaxed than on the mainland UK; we're still allowed to own handguns (Glocks are popular, at least two of my friends own one) and we're also allowed fancier shotguns as well.. It's all probably a legacy of the lingering paramilitary threat and the large numbers of civilians who feel threatened (i.e. retired police officers). That said, I myself don't have anything more than a pair of crossbows, but I'm looking to change that very shortly.
30 October 2011, 10:11,
Right thats it then I'll contact Nick Nemasis in Belfast and tell him to expect 137 lodgers Smile

(30 October 2011, 00:15)cryingfreeman Wrote: Just to add my own little bit in case anyone else from my part of the country peruses this thread... Gun laws in Northern Ireland are much more relaxed than on the mainland UK; we're still allowed to own handguns (Glocks are popular, at least two of my friends own one) and we're also allowed fancier shotguns as well.. It's all probably a legacy of the lingering paramilitary threat and the large numbers of civilians who feel threatened (i.e. retired police officers). That said, I myself don't have anything more than a pair of crossbows, but I'm looking to change that very shortly.

30 October 2011, 10:20,
not for me thanks, having a firearms certificate puts me on the Police radar and subject to random inspections where they may notice (and make note of ) my other preps, i will rely on my Air Rifle's and Bow's and arrows, which are all stored out of sight.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 October 2011, 11:50,
Bigpaul,

The random inspections are rare and specifically targeted towards your licensed weapons. Take them in to the gun cabinet where they shake the cabinet to check it is secure, check serials on the registered weapons and suppressors and count the bullets.

As you shouldn't keep your preps on view anyway, there are over 1000 ways a government lets officials enter your home without your permission.

The benefit of having a weapon outweighs, imo, the downside of being on a gun register.
Skean Dhude
30 October 2011, 12:18,
thanks, but i dont want any Police INSIDE my house even just for a cursory gun cabinet inspection, better to keep them out, keep a low profile and not get noticed by them. just my personal opinion.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.