Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog Ultimatum!!!
26 January 2013, 16:34,
RE: Dog Ultimatum!!!
benefit of a Jack Russell is it might just fit down a rabbit hole Smile
26 January 2013, 16:35, (This post was last modified: 26 January 2013, 16:36 by bigpaul.)
the bigger the dog you have, the more it will cost in food, £ for LB, terriers dont eat a lot, 5 Kilo bag of dog food lasts our Cairn terrier ages.

(26 January 2013, 16:34)Hex Wrote: benefit of a Jack Russell is it might just fit down a rabbit hole Smile

provided you dont let it get fat!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 January 2013, 19:07,
I have a Staffy, but contrary to DailyMail opinion, he is soft as shite. Our poodle bosses him around. But he is a big fat cuddly thing, who loves fuss.
26 January 2013, 22:17, (This post was last modified: 26 January 2013, 22:19 by Highlander.)
(26 January 2013, 16:27)NorthernRaider Wrote: A mongrol allways inherits the best traits from its parents, a pedogree always inherits the genetic defects, like hip dysplacia etc in Alsations and retrievers, or psychological and leg problems in Spaniels, Bulldogs, Boxers etc. I know our local plods stopped using German shepards cos they were all having to be retired easrly with hip and back problems so they went onto the Belgian sub species which is just slightly smaller but much healthier, so they tell me. I prefer two or three small terriers over one big mutt, dont like all my eggs in one puppy.

Of course the problems with hip dysplacia in German Shepherds [ there is no such dog as an Alsation ], only effects a small number of dogs these days,.. maybe a few more in the services because of their continued hard training, it is not realy something that an average person wanting a pet dog should worry too much about

(26 January 2013, 16:28)bigpaul Wrote: depends on the size of your house i'd say, seen someone with an Akita coming out of one of the tiny "starter" homes ("where does your dog sleep- anywhere it likes!"Tongue)

Smile... also depends on the people too, some of us love falling over our dogs,... we have five dogs including three German Shepherds, and we live in a three bed bungalow...Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
26 January 2013, 23:53,
I always wanted two wolf hounds. I keep winding my girlfriend up that her preferred springer spaniels won't protect us from wolves. I also don't want deer in the house so some deer hounds as well. We can all sleep on straw together.

Shane I don't have the space, plus with the hours I do at work I'd not have time for the dogs.
27 January 2013, 21:25,
(26 January 2013, 00:29)Highlander Wrote: Training dogs to pull is not that easy, it does take a bit of time, but they will get there in the end because most dogs love to run.

I have trained my three German Shepherds to pull they pull carts with logs, but what they love best is dog scootering, something we do often,... I realise its not quiet prepping, but it gives some idea of how dogs love to pull

What happens at the end of the video is that Sam my lead dog saw six German Tourists and thought it would be nice to go over and say hello,.. thankfull the touriest loved them

In case anyone is wondering,.. No, thats not my house
Video a bit shaky in parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8QSTcdYc...Fg&index=4

Looks like a lot of fun, and the dogs are obviously enjoying themselves. What beautiful scenery.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
28 January 2013, 12:09,
(26 January 2013, 16:21)bigpaul Wrote: pure breds are bloomin' expensive these days, you'd be better off getting something from a rescue centre, healthier and will give you a lot of fun, you'll be doing it a favour giving it a home, dont not put money into a breeders pocket, some of them are no better than breeding farms, if i was getting another dog thats where i'd go.Big Grin

They are more expensive, but if you go to a proper breeder then they should have the hips, elbow etc score tested.

Ours cost us near on a grand, cause his mum has won best in breed at crufts twice, and his dad was a show dog too, in Australia. But, I was happy to pay cause he's gonna be a big boy. The dad is a HUGE rotty, I mean massive. I've never seen one that big before. The mum was almost as tall as me on her back legs, and I'm 6'2. paws on my shoulders she could look me in the eye. Winston should be bigger apparently!

Plus it's nice having a puppy bouncing about Big Grin
28 January 2013, 12:59,
Even getting a dog from a rescue cost money, please dont think that anyone can go along to a rescue and take away a dog,... all my rescue Shepherds cost me over £100, and of course the usual home checks to make sure that the home is ok for the type of dog you are getting,...and of course although I would only go to a rescue, I agree with BM, that there is no guarrentee of anything,... there is no guarentee from a breeder but as BM says you should get the scores, general checks and the history all done for you, so that you start off with the best possible chance of a good healthy dog
A major part of survival is invisibility.