Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rondivious, US style
30 January 2013, 19:36,
Rondivious, US style
OK fellows, this is the way we have meetups in the U.S. A few pics for your pleasure.

[Image: 011_zpse96b5cf7.jpg]

Home for a week
[Image: 024_zps74c54c63.jpg]

I have more pictures but do not know about the capabilities of the internet over the distances and tech variations between here and where you are located.

No, this is not the standard. In fact it was the largest camp I have attended in 40 years of reenactment work. 1500 campers in 1200 camps. The camp was a triangle a mile on each side and was packed full.

There were wall to wall skills semanars, workshops on historic crafts and lots of meeting between friends from distant places.

I drove 1900 miles round trip and spent 4 days on the road, some traveled farther. Yep we are a dedicated lot over here.
30 January 2013, 19:42,
RE: Rondivious, US style
I would love to have been there, it must have been a great week,.... its something you guys do farrrr better than we ever will,... us preppers scare most of the population here
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 January 2013, 19:45,
Wow would be nice to attend something this size, reinactment is alot more popular in the states
30 January 2013, 19:50,
(30 January 2013, 19:45)Metroyeti Wrote: Wow would be nice to attend something this size, reinactment is alot more popular in the states

i believe there is a popular CIVIL WAR reinactment society in the UK but i havent heard anything down this way since a big one in 1996, "Sealed Knot" members came from as far afield as New Zealand, i think about 5, 000 people came all in costume and sleeping in authentic tents.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 January 2013, 19:53,
Theres a few viking groups in the region, but nothing to the scale of these photos
30 January 2013, 19:59, (This post was last modified: 30 January 2013, 20:03 by NorthernRaider.)
I've been to a couple on Mountainmen type Rendezvous in southern Colorado in the 1990s, fabulous time with most of the Americans dressing in preriod costume cooking on cast iron pots over open fires, I got taught to throw a hawk ( hatchet) at one event, and had a glorious time blasting off black powder filled SA revolvers and muskets ( took months to get the black powder out of my skin). I was a guest of a family of survivalists from SW Kansas we all met up with other survies from Taos and Denver. Best time of my life at that time the heartland Amricans are truly wonderful people. Did another smaller event on the Cimmeron grasslands a few years later where I met my first rattlesnake !!! Thanks very much for sharing this images it brings back so many memories.

I note with a wry smile the distances the OP drove to attend his RV, over in the UK most Brits wont go 50 miles, we are still decades behind the merkins when it comes to involvement and commitment, I also would point out that many Americans only get two weeks paid holiday a year yet they still manage to get to RVs and meets many miles from theiir homes.

In the UK there are some very good US civil war re-enactment groups who have similar kit, they are a joy to see when they set up camp, they have the tents, skillets, muskets, hawks, skills and even a few cannon !!!, I nearly joined one myself, didnt in the end but I did choose a side I want say who but I still whistle Dixie.... The South will rise again Smile

Oop error I wrote Denver and it should have been Salida.

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten, (Alt Original: Cinnamon seed and sandy bottom,)
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin',
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land.

I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
to live and die in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie

FYI

http://www.acws.co.uk/