Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Law post SHTF
6 February 2013, 18:52,
RE: Law post SHTF
Civilizations rise and fall. The thing is they always seem to look a little like the one before them in many respects. Not surprising really as we are all people living in a community and although the communities may be based on different core beliefs rules are needed for any community to function.

In a post SHTF situation many factors will come into play concerning life WTROL. As society begins to recover and communities become functional rules will be needed. It seems to me that the four basic rules that Mortblac posted would be a good place to start.
7 February 2013, 18:17,
Okay, I'm going to ask a stupid question.........What's the difference between a rule and a law? And how will our perception of them affect us post SHTF?
Respect existence or expect resistance!
7 February 2013, 18:23,
(7 February 2013, 18:17)Ghost Wrote: Okay, I'm going to ask a stupid question.........What's the difference between a rule and a law? And how will our perception of them affect us post SHTF?

easy-there wont be any !TongueBig Grin (as in WITHOUT rule of law!)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 February 2013, 18:34,
(7 February 2013, 18:17)Ghost Wrote: Okay, I'm going to ask a stupid question.........What's the difference between a rule and a law? And how will our perception of them affect us post SHTF?

Nice question,.... for me a rule is something thats been suggested as a way of doing something, a rule is a guide, and everyone should do their best to follow the rule,... but as the saying goes ` a rule is meant to be broken`,.. rules have to be flexible if the situation demands it, and a person is not punished if the situation forced a change

A law is something that has been put together between leaders [ and others who elect leaders ] and agreed that this ruling must not be broken on fear of punishment
A major part of survival is invisibility.
7 February 2013, 18:36,
Rules guide us
Laws govern us
Rules are usually socially accept tribal norms
Laws are control to ensure we stay within the rules.

7 February 2013, 18:51,
post SHTF you are probably going to have 2 choices: either its not as bad as you thought and all rules and laws still stand, OR its everyone for themselves, NO rules or laws apply, adapt and survive.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 February 2013, 18:34,
Ever considered the premise that the laws are still there and SHTF is simply an absence of any enforcement agency.

Lack of enforcement does not eliminate the responsibility of one to follow basic norms. For this reason there is no statute of limitations on most capitol offenses. One can be arrested and tried at any time for an offense committed decades earlier.

Once any resemblence of order returns there would be a roundup of offenders and consciquences dolled out for what you knew you were not supposed to do.
8 February 2013, 18:39,
if there is no one around to enforce the laws are those laws null and void? if the "society" that made those laws has collapsed do those laws still apply? it may be years even decades before the new society arises from the ashes and they may make different laws to the ones that existed before. if there is no society to uphold those laws, your on your own, mate!
8 February 2013, 18:43,
It depends on how bad the `event `is,.. civil unrest resulting in a few years of hardship, then I can see the point you make Mortblanc,..... but a more serious `event` then I think that BP`s point is more valid,... guess we will not know till it happens
A major part of survival is invisibility.
9 February 2013, 12:15,
i dont really envisage a "temporary" event, like a few power cuts, maybe a bit of civil unrest, slow food deliveries, a "blip" on the radar of life, maybe 6months to a year of "difficulties" then hey presto its all right again, its "business as usual", i believe when this "thing"-whatever it is- comes, its the end of civilisation as we know it, the end of everything that the modern age has provided, no electricity, no oil, no imported food, no mains water, no mains drainage, no food in the shops, empty petrol stations, no phones, no internet, no NOTHING, everything YOU need for life and living YOU have to go out and FIND, its not in the shops, you cant buy it from a catalogue, you either have to find it, make it or grow it yourself. as far as laws go, all laws are null and void, if you want rules you have to make them and ENFORCE them yourself.