Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistic Barter Goods
3 February 2013, 12:39,
RE: Realistic Barter Goods
(3 February 2013, 12:34)NorthernRaider Wrote: Different as in being a cross between Cousin It and a wookie Smile

i was thinking more "Chew Bacca" as in Star Wars!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 February 2013, 12:54,
Taking toothpaste as an example. You can store a lifetime supply in a very small space and it can be acquired cheaply as well. So I have a lot of toothpaste well more than we could ever use. I also have the means to make my own for later on, most likely after I'm gone. I'll certainly be using toothpaste to barter with and there are many other items that fit into that catagory, soap, salt, paracord, sewing kits, water purification tablets, candles and a lot more. Very little space, cheap atm and will be highly sought after.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 February 2013, 13:03, (This post was last modified: 3 February 2013, 13:04 by preservefreak.)
I think if there is a society collapse nearly everyone will have to trade and barter. The truly self sufficient folks are going to be really rare. Soap and bleach tablets/powder are high on my list as well as toothpaste as mentioned. The ability to keep you and your home clean will be important to a lot of people (rightly so).

But also treats. I think some people will pay a very high price a year after an event for a bar of chocolate that you vacuum sealed and put away.

also don't you need an FAC to buy ammo?
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
3 February 2013, 13:57,
(2 February 2013, 21:01)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(2 February 2013, 17:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: I'm not giving anyone any ammo or weapons as a barter item.

I would, but not locally, only at RVs far from home.

How many hand made arrows with Bodkins do you want for 100 .22lrBig Grin
3 February 2013, 14:26,
(3 February 2013, 13:57)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(2 February 2013, 21:01)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(2 February 2013, 17:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: I'm not giving anyone any ammo or weapons as a barter item.

I would, but not locally, only at RVs far from home.

How many hand made arrows with Bodkins do you want for 100 .22lrBig Grin

I have'nt got any guns so I would rather have the arrows so long as they can stand being launched from a small compound bow Smile

3 February 2013, 16:27,
The trouble with having things to barter with is space,... its always down to space, do you store only items that you will need for yourself, and never plan to barter?, ...do you buy for yourself, and have a seperate store for barter,... I think that items for barter should be the very same items that you will need yourself, and not seperate them, that way you are buying for both self and barter,... suttle differences I know, but important as I see it
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 February 2013, 16:32,
i dont think someone would have a seperate storage for barter items, you would (probably) barter items you have an excess of and could therefore part with a few in exchange for something you were low on or didnt have.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 February 2013, 16:45,
(3 February 2013, 16:32)bigpaul Wrote: i dont think someone would have a seperate storage for barter items, you would (probably) barter items you have an excess of and could therefore part with a few in exchange for something you were low on or didnt have.

In that case I think that many barter items should be in the luxury cat, not just items of nessesity,.... life is going to be very hard, and many things that will become very important are items such as soap,... sweet things,...[ sugar, sweet drinks ] tins of fruit,.. things that people will soon get a craving for
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 February 2013, 17:36,
(3 February 2013, 16:45)Highlander Wrote:
(3 February 2013, 16:32)bigpaul Wrote: i dont think someone would have a seperate storage for barter items, you would (probably) barter items you have an excess of and could therefore part with a few in exchange for something you were low on or didnt have.

In that case I think that many barter items should be in the luxury cat, not just items of nessesity,.... life is going to be very hard, and many things that will become very important are items such as soap,... sweet things,...[ sugar, sweet drinks ] tins of fruit,.. things that people will soon get a craving for

most of those things you will keep for yourself.
3 February 2013, 22:17, (This post was last modified: 3 February 2013, 22:19 by Prepper1.)
Selco said...Sugar, coffee, lighters, chocolate, toilet roll, gas for refilling lighters, matches, car battery's ( he traded a man who wanted a car battery for radio comms, a car battery for two kalashnikov's).
Gold was worthless unless you were hoarding it for after. Tins of food, cigarettes, drugs illegal and legal. containers for water , water, oil for oil lamps, no generators as they were too noisy and attracted attention.
bags for carrying things, small trolly's for wheeling things.

colouring books for kids, toys and games etc...

womens sanitary products... big time.
Pain killers, antibiotics, soap, antibacterial wipes, general first aid stuff.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...