Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MALWARE WARNING FROM BIG PAUL
5 February 2013, 14:20,
RE: MALWARE WARNING FROM BIG PAUL
(5 February 2013, 13:59)bigpaul Wrote:
(5 February 2013, 13:57)BeardyMan Wrote:
(5 February 2013, 13:54)bigpaul Wrote: Thanks for all the comments guys, BP using Jane's computer which ISNT affected. basically computer went into lockdown mode, couldn't do anything with it,not even shut it down! taken it to someone who is sorting it out so i'll be offline for a while.TongueBig Grin

Ah, I was going to post you out a CD with all the software required to fix it!

You'll have to stop looking at all those "naughty" website's Paul Tongue Big Grin Big Grin

tell me about it! was watching one when this thing suddenly pops up and locks the damn computer!Big Grin

How rude of them! Bloody malware - becoming a right PITA. If you don't run a lot of software and mainly use the computer for internet browsing then you really can't do better than linux mint or some similar distribution. Nice and easy to use, completely free, quicker than windows and NO VIRII! You can get it to run the normal windows software using WINE, but generally there's an equivalent (and better) version of the software already made for linux.
5 February 2013, 14:55,
Jane's got Mcafree on hers and it seems to work, we can download that onto mine when i get if back.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 February 2013, 18:47,
computer now fixed, had a phone call from the guy whose removed the virus-took him 3 hours to get rid of all of it, he's servicing it and adding an anti virus program so it'll be all ticketty boo when i pick it up in the morning, its all cost me £79 but hey its cheaper than buying a new computer.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 February 2013, 11:12,
OK i'm back online now on my own computer. i'm back on Internet Explorer, i was on Google Chrome but that is what was corrupted so has been removed as its not covered by my new all singing all dancing Virus programme. this virus was a "Police e-crime unit" spam virus, apparently its been around for 5 months and first started using a "West Yorkshire Police" banner but mine was pretending to be from Dorset (Gillingham). once it gets in you cant do anything, you can click buttons all day it wont do a darn thing, you cant even shut down your computer, the virus has to be removed, in my case by someone more capable than me.
6 February 2013, 18:03,
Nice to have you back - thought I was the only one who had to cough up for 'fixes'. My power supply to my hub blew up yesterday - cooking circuits, lovely smell (?) - new hub better and faster. Got a universal DC power supply to run the old hub as a spare - OK but slow.
Just as a reference I run Mozilla Firefox which was a free download if I remember correctly plus something called Bull Guard which was with the laptop when I bought it - works well and is unobtrusive. Will have to pay at some point to renew the licence I feel.
6 February 2013, 18:13,
I use Avira which my dad madde me install many years ago and it catches loads, would catch more if I paid for it but there you go, im a skinflint lol
6 February 2013, 18:19,
i think part of the problem was i was on Google Chrome(kindly installed by wife's nephewAngry) and i dont think its covered by any of these anti virus programmes, i believe most of these free ones you can download arent much cop, they only tell you WHEN you've got a virus NOT stop you getting one!
6 February 2013, 21:11,
Welcome back BP,.....I have had it twice, but bracken is a bit of a computer nut, and she was able to get rid of it for us
A major part of survival is invisibility.
7 February 2013, 10:09,
(6 February 2013, 21:11)Highlander Wrote: Welcome back BP,.....I have had it twice, but bracken is a bit of a computer nut, and she was able to get rid of it for us

your lucky HL, both of us have "basic" computer skills to say the least, so if something goes wrong we have to pay to get it fixed.
7 February 2013, 15:40,
we had been using the local computer "geek" as he only lives down the road, but have lost confidence in him lately, dont think he knows as much as he tries to make out, so we are now using someone about 10 miles away who seems to have much more knowledge in what he's doing.