Hello from Windsor
7 February 2013, 18:28,
RE: Hello from Windsor
Hi Digger
Welcome to the forum
8 February 2013, 10:31,
Thanks Highlander ( and Bracken)

We are trying not to delude ourselves over the reality of survival in the open, particularly in winter. I have training and experience to manage this alone, but our dry runs show it can only ever be a short term solution for my family unit.

For us Bugging out could only be a short term solution until we could get walls around us and a roof over our heads.

Strategy here is like BP and NR's. If we have to abandon the primary BOL, it'll be stage managed to look like any other abandoned and already looted location. Hopefully our very carefully hidden stores will go undetected and we'll be able to return for them later???
conscius et paratum
8 February 2013, 10:38,
Caches splattered around the area could help extended your bug out time and increase comfort for a while until you can return home.

8 February 2013, 10:43,
(8 February 2013, 10:38)NorthernRaider Wrote: Caches splattered around the area could help extended your bug out time and increase comfort for a while until you can return home.

Fair point
conscius et paratum
8 February 2013, 10:50,
I've got plastic drums and chunks of sealed drain pipe hidden around this area with extra food, extra water puri tabs, medical kit, socks n undies, batteries, bars of soap, chemical heaters, toothbrushes, bany wipes, bum paper, fire lighters, plastic tarps, flashlights, wind up radios, maps, etc to help extend the amount of time we can stay bugged out for. It reduces the need to carry everything on our backs by prepositioning our logistics in advance.

8 February 2013, 10:55,
(8 February 2013, 10:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: I've got plastic drums and chunks of sealed drain pipe hidden around this area with extra food, extra water puri tabs, medical kit, socks n undies, batteries, bars of soap, chemical heaters, toothbrushes, bany wipes, bum paper, fire lighters, plastic tarps, flashlights, wind up radios, maps, etc to help extend the amount of time we can stay bugged out for. It reduces the need to carry everything on our backs by prepositioning our logistics in advance.

I like the drain pipe idea. How water-tight are they? Have you done any long term tests to see how contents fare over time?
conscius et paratum
8 February 2013, 11:04,
Yes Sir drain pipes are excellent for caching, twas the yank survivalists who first started using plastic drain pipe in 6, 8 and 10 inch diameters cut into lengths from to to 4 feet long, they solvent weld an end cap on then fill the tube with kit before solvent welding the other end cap on, then they run a bead of silicone sealent round the seam for added safety and some even add a band of rubberised amalgamating tape round the seam. Some folks glue a piece of steel to the outside so its easier to find the cache again with a metal detector if you live in an area where its difficult to exactly relocate the cache. I used to buy 4 meter lengths fro Jewsons or B & q plus end caps and solvent weld, some folks prefer the screw fit end sealed with O rings.

I believe in recent times quite a few Brit preppers now prefer to bury wide mouthed blue barrels with screw top or clamp on lids.

8 February 2013, 11:09,
(8 February 2013, 11:04)NorthernRaider Wrote: Yes Sir drain pipes are excellent for caching, twas the yank survivalists who first started using plastic drain pipe in 6, 8 and 10 inch diameters cut into lengths from to to 4 feet long, they solvent weld an end cap on then fill the tube with kit before solvent welding the other end cap on, then they run a bead of silicone sealent round the seam for added safety and some even add a band of rubberised amalgamating tape round the seam. Some folks glue a piece of steel to the outside so its easier to find the cache again with a metal detector if you live in an area where its difficult to exactly relocate the cache. I used to buy 4 meter lengths fro Jewsons or B & q plus end caps and solvent weld, some folks prefer the screw fit end sealed with O rings.

I believe in recent times quite a few Brit preppers now prefer to bury wide mouthed blue barrels with screw top or clamp on lids.

Thanks. All good pointers.
conscius et paratum
8 February 2013, 14:20,
hello and welcome from Sheffield
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
8 February 2013, 14:31,
Well this has been a very warm, friendly and active hello session, I must say.

Thank you everybody. it is a pleasure to meet you all.

I look forward to many more exchanges in the future.

Digger
conscius et paratum