• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello from Windsor
6 February 2013, 20:58,
RE: Hello from Windsor
Hello from Morecambe Lancashire
6 February 2013, 21:19,
(6 February 2013, 17:41)Digger Wrote:
(6 February 2013, 14:34)Scythe13 Wrote: Hi, welcome to the forum, from the Southwest.

What's your background?
Ex-Civil Servant of the type remarked on by Churchill Angel
That's cool. We all come from somewhere.

Do you have much outdoor living experience?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 February 2013, 21:46,
hello and welcome from Northumberland Big Grin
Winter is coming
7 February 2013, 08:07,
(6 February 2013, 21:19)Scythe13 Wrote:
(6 February 2013, 17:41)Digger Wrote:
(6 February 2013, 14:34)Scythe13 Wrote: Hi, welcome to the forum, from the Southwest.

What's your background?
Ex-Civil Servant of the type remarked on by Churchill Angel
That's cool. We all come from somewhere.

Do you have much outdoor living experience?

Yes quite a bit over the years. Enough to know that I don't want to have to do this with my family, other than as a desperate last resort.

Do you think it possible to bug out undetected anywhere in England? Do you think it possible to bug out in the open for extended periods?

We are planning to keep a roof over our heads, pre-planned stores at hand, and solid walls around us if we have to stand up for ourselves. Our strategy is only to bug-in for a short while, while assessing the situation, before transferring to, and holding up in a remote refuge.
conscius et paratum
7 February 2013, 10:16,
Digger, different people will tell you their own opinions & sometimes it will be conflicting.

While a lot of people on here are planning on bugging out, I'm planning on staying put. I'm going for things like familiarity of the home layout (especially important for my young children), knowing the local area (alleyways, back roads etc..) & my firm belief that wherever you go, someone will always find you.

Obviously if you have access to a remote location & all your family are familiar with it, go for it. Just bear in mind, what happens if you store some preps there & someone stumbled upon it before you & stripped it bare? Or worse still, decided to occupy it & survive off your preps while your family go hungry. If it was simply going to the nearest woodland & trying to build a permanent shelter, I would honestly say its not possible unless its a HUGE forest & the local population is very low. Consider things like transporting your preps to the new location. Tins of food are heavy. A years worth of tins would be impossible to carry in one go so then you have to leave some food unattended at some point, all the while, there are hungry folk about.

As for your outdoor experience & knowing you don't want to experience it with your family. Why not? If you have young kids, they will love the outdoors. Sure they may complain about no sky tv or taking a dump in a hole. But the whole experience will teach them something new that can't be taught any other way.
7 February 2013, 15:52,
Thanks G-Rob,

Good insights.

Summer camping holidays are always fun and good experience. We've had a couple of goes at whole weeks wild camping in winter months and its been a miserable experience both times. We are sure that we'd not last very long in these conditions.
conscius et paratum
7 February 2013, 16:01,
(7 February 2013, 08:07)Digger Wrote: We are planning to keep a roof over our heads, pre-planned stores at hand, and solid walls around us if we have to stand up for ourselves. Our strategy is only to bug-in for a short while, while assessing the situation, before transferring to, and holding up in a remote refuge.
yes, that is exactly what myself and OH are doing, bugging IN is always best as that is where we all know best and where our main stores are, but will be bugging OUT to a pre-planned, pre-scouted BOL where we will have 4 walls and a roof around us- but ONLY if our home is threatened or is no longer safe.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 February 2013, 16:32,
I'm all for bugging in. But the moment trouble comes my way, we're bugging out! Much better to come back to 4 walls and a roof, than die inside it. Having said that, it would suck to die while bugging out too haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 February 2013, 16:41,
If I have to bug out from here all any scavengers will first at first glance is just another empty sheeple home with bare food cupboards.

7 February 2013, 18:25,
(7 February 2013, 15:52)Digger Wrote: Thanks G-Rob,

Good insights.

Summer camping holidays are always fun and good experience. We've had a couple of goes at whole weeks wild camping in winter months and its been a miserable experience both times. We are sure that we'd not last very long in these conditions.

Well Digger,... thats at least a very honest answer.

There are many aspects to surviving any situation, and one of them is to have as many option open to you as possible,.. and I think almost all of us, if we are bugging out or staying in,... has to have the option of living wild,.. because we simply do not know how things will pan out.

Believe me I can well understand how it might not be the most comfortable aspect for anyone, Bracken [ the wife here ] doesnt do camping for anything, but she has been out so knows its always an option, so I still think its something that you guys should chat over again.

The key to winter camping is equipment, if you can afford good equipment it will make life easier, even if its to be your very last option,... you will need to survive
A major part of survival is invisibility.