Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar power question please.
6 February 2013, 14:38,
Solar power question please.
Just ordered my first PV panel kit off E bay, its a complete 80watt kitt with the usual black box 10 amp regulator / voltage controller thingamybob.

What I would like it to do apart from charging a battery when I get one is for it to feed a 12v fag lighter socket and one or two USB sockets 5.5 V

But I dont know what the device is called that contains the sockets and USB socket and regulates its power, can anyone tell me what its called so I can go looking for one.
NR

6 February 2013, 22:30, (This post was last modified: 6 February 2013, 22:31 by Highlander.)
RE: Solar power question please.
Dont you want a car inverter like this

http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/74...eviews.htm

or this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-...080&sr=8-8

Sorry no photo with the first,... but sounds to do the job you want
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 February 2013, 23:13,
No HL thanks, apparently its just a USB / 12 volt fag lighter adaptor you can get from motoring shops according to AL. He has one that has two fag lighter sockets and two USB ports in it and it just affixs to the outlet of the regulator box that comes with the panel.
NR

6 February 2013, 23:17,
NR,

If you system includes a battery you shouldn't need a regulator for your "12V" output (it might get up to about 14V but that should still be fine for nearly everything you plan to use at "12V").
If you search on Amazon for "Car USB charger" you will get a load of 12V cigarette to USB converter devices for just a few pounds.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
7 February 2013, 22:24,
Halfords do one that's cylindrical. Has a lead with a 12 v plug on, and two 12 v sockets plus 2 Usb sockets. Got one for my son for Christmas. It's designed to fit in the cup holder. Tjhere are loads of cheap usb car chargers around. They do have a voltage regulator of some kind in them to step down from 12 v to the 5 v required by usb.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.