Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growing by Season
7 February 2013, 06:09,
Growing by Season
It’s that time of year again. I’ve dusted off the propagators and checked my stocks of compost. Just got to wait a bit now for the weather to warm up (fingers drumming) a bit so that I can venture to plant the first seeds of the season.

This year I am experimenting with a few different strains of tomatoes. I love tomatoes – so versatile and so good for you. I do believe in eating by the seasons. Seeds are tiny little computers, programmed to germinate at the right time of year and in the right conditions. After all their chief aim in life is to reproduce and conditions have to be right. This is why I cannot abide those chilly red orbs that pass for tomatoes in supermarkets. They are grown in hydroponic conditions, out of season and force-fed with nutrients like vegetable geese. No flavour to speak off and I rather doubt their health giving properties. Tomatoes should be grown in the summer when the sun ripens them naturally and they slowly grow to rich lusciousness on the vine. Who hasn’t wandered past a tomato plant when a tomato popped into your hand and you just happened to have a salt cellar in your pocket? Those chilly supermarket things probably miss out on all the encouragement from a doting grower – “You’re blushing prettily today, fancy popping into a salad?” – and who wants to eat something that feels as if it grew up in a fridge. No, I would rather wait for my little pets to grow and ripen in their own time.

This year I am trying out a streaky variety and also my personal favourite, a tomato called Red Brandywine, unsurpassed in my opinion for flavour.

Happy growing.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
7 February 2013, 18:11,
RE: Growing by Season
just got some seeds brandy red toms me and my dad will give them a go thankyou for that Smile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
7 February 2013, 19:05,
oh, I've not tried red brandywine, this year I'm growing moneymakers, gardeners delight and latah
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.
16 February 2013, 20:06,
I tried Brandywine last year for the first time and it didn't work at all for me so I never got to taste them. I'll just stick with good old Red Alert and Gardeners Delight this year. They never fail and the family can't get enough of them.
The overwintering Japanese onions and Garlic are looking good at the moment. I can't wait to get started on everything else. Forecast for the coming week is for the weather to turn colder again though. Roll on spring!
Just because you don't believe they're watching you, doesn't mean they aren't.
16 February 2013, 20:31, (This post was last modified: 16 February 2013, 20:33 by Straight Shooter.)
I am on a mission.....3 new raised beds 9ft x 3ft X 18" concrete blocks today...tomorrow 24ft x 3ft 6" x 18" been going to to this for ten years so game on NOW , greenhouses ready to rock...next week polytunnel attack new soil, compost, and manure...then dig over the rear garden...chomping at the bit....me SAS gardner this year ....did have gas n air bout 4ish today though

I love toms to by the way
16 February 2013, 21:18,
Good on you, Lads. Nice to hear people are interested in gardening. It's worth bearing in mind that some seeds are heat sensitive. If you plant them too early they sulk and refuse to germinate. Not everyone has the conditions used by the big Dutch growers, so it is worth assessing what conditions you are able to provide. Last year was a bust for me as far as tomatoes were concerned. If I had stuck with the Alicante and Moneymaker toms I would have had a better harvest, but I love Brandywine and I'll be persevering this year in hope. I'm also hopeful of getting a good crop of haricot beans. This is another heat sensitive crop, so it is worth waiting for the soil to warm up a bit.

Happy growing.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.