Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Band of Brothers, Series....yes it's fitness.
8 February 2013, 09:29,
Band of Brothers, Series....yes it's fitness.
Hi everyone.

Again a rant about health and fitness. If this isn't your thing, then I'll really be wasting your time with this thread.

I'm back off a 12 hour shift (night work) and have been on a small run (about a mile) and have just got into bed with 2 cats and a laptop (the wife is on a business training course with work....poor thing). But Band of Brothers got me thinking....

They do a lot of running around and stuff like that. I call it exercise. Catchy word hu? Made it up myself haha.

Along with a book I'm reading, and watching BoBrothers, I thought...they're all damn good shots for people knackered from running loads. Obviously they train for it, so it makes sense.

Quick question though, a lot of us on this forum are into guns and archery. Does anyone actually try running and intense exercise, and then practice shooting, while still fatigued?

The increased heartrate and stress your body is under makes being steady handed a lot more awkward. It also makes accurately shooting the Air Rifle much harder too....possibly for the same reason, but also for the fact your breathing isn't very well controlled.

So, here's some fun, get those feet moving, and get the shooting practice underway.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 February 2013, 13:38,
RE: Band of Brothers, Series....yes it's fitness.
I do running training with boots and webbing. I've done some stuff like that in cadets, where you run x number of laps around a drill square with a rifle before laying down to shoot on the range. It's f***ing difficult, especially with my astigmatism
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
8 February 2013, 15:15,
Been there done that got the t-shirt, lost it etc...
If you have the time the t.a. is a good place for young bloods, training, guns etc...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
8 February 2013, 17:16,
(8 February 2013, 13:38)Tibbs735 Wrote: I do running training with boots and webbing. I've done some stuff like that in cadets, where you run x number of laps around a drill square with a rifle before laying down to shoot on the range. It's f***ing difficult, especially with my astigmatism

What about if you couldn't hit the floor to take the shot, and had to do it standing or on a knee?
8 February 2013, 18:06,
You are watching movies again, and believing them!

Those guys are not all that good with their weapons.

in WW2 the average was 15,000 rounds per kill
in Korea the numbers were 5k per casulty, (no total kill figures available)
in Viet Namn it required 50,000 per casulty

Our present comflict is digesting 250,000 rounds per kill.

Running is stressed as a training method because it costs nothing, expends a lot of energy and absorbs a lot of time. A bored GI is a GI about to get into trouble. We were always encouraged to fill in empty training time with runs using the need for conditioning as the excuse.

During the "cold war era" we always took it for granted it was training for high speed retreat in the face of 10/1 odds!
8 February 2013, 18:29, (This post was last modified: 8 February 2013, 18:35 by Highlander.)
There is a test in the Army that has to be passed every year,..or else,.. now I cant remember how long the distance is off hand, but its probably about 20 miles for an infantryman, that run finishes at the range, and you go right into a 20 round shoot, and you have to pass or do the whole thing again

Bortblanc,... I am glad to say that the British army trains differently to the US,... we dont have the ammo to waste,... every soldier has to be able to pass with a high score even when he is breathing heavy

Most British Infantry ARE that good with their weapons

Its all down to the breathing of course, deep breaths, control breaths, squeeze the trigger and hold the breath just before firing,... if its done often enough its easy, we probably did it about once a month for years

A bit different now of course, I dont do a lot of running these days, I walk a hell of a lot, but dont run,... maybe I should give it a try again sometime and see how I manage after all these years
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 February 2013, 18:48, (This post was last modified: 8 February 2013, 18:50 by Scythe13.)
(8 February 2013, 18:06)Mortblanc Wrote: You are watching movies again, and believing them!

Haha, kind of. More like, the program made me think about writing the post, but I've been looking at firing under stress for a while. What many Americans call Running-n-Gunning (I love that expression!!!).

(8 February 2013, 18:06)Mortblanc Wrote: You are watching movies again, and believing them!

Those guys are not all that good with their weapons.

in WW2 the average was 15,000 rounds per kill
in Korea the numbers were 5k per casulty, (no total kill figures available)
in Viet Namn it required 50,000 per casulty

Our present comflict is digesting 250,000 rounds per kill.

Running is stressed as a training method because it costs nothing, expends a lot of energy and absorbs a lot of time. A bored GI is a GI about to get into trouble. We were always encouraged to fill in empty training time with runs using the need for conditioning as the excuse.

During the "cold war era" we always took it for granted it was training for high speed retreat in the face of 10/1 odds!

That's kind of the point I was thinking about. I know there are thousands of shots per kill, but not many of us over here have thousands of rounds (we can't legally hold that number).

So I was more looking at those with bows and arrows, and those with air rifles (especially the single shot bolt action ones or break actions). How many of us could fire while under stress, whether from running or being shot at?

(8 February 2013, 18:29)Highlander Wrote: A bit different now of course, I dont do a lot of running these days, I walk a hell of a lot, but dont run,... maybe I should give it a try again sometime and see how I manage after all these years

If you do, regardless of whether the groupings are awesome or awful, I'd love to see what you came back with. Post the pics and give us a report of how it was.
8 February 2013, 18:53,
..... and how far would you like me to run?,... dont you dare say 20 miles... Sad
8 February 2013, 18:57,
(8 February 2013, 18:53)Highlander Wrote: ..... and how far would you like me to run?,... dont you dare say 20 miles... Sad

Taking your age, fitness, shooting gap, and the alike into account, you could just pop for a quick 2 miles (HAHA, now you feel old. Just kidding mate).

If you push it at 2 miles, you can build quite a sweat, but will be warmed up enough to pop for a good few rounds. Providing you SPRINT your heart out for the last part of it (80-100 meters) I'm sure you'll have simulated a very high stress situation.

Sound good?

When I move house (setting up a small range in my garden) I'll be going on runs in the morning and finishing off with air rifle and air pistol shooting for this exact reason.

If I want to be able to survive, I need to train as if that's what's keeping me alive.
8 February 2013, 19:04,
....and on to the next thread...Smile