Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Band of Brothers, Series....yes it's fitness.
8 February 2013, 22:08,
RE: Band of Brothers, Series....yes it's fitness.
(8 February 2013, 17:16)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 February 2013, 13:38)Tibbs735 Wrote:

What about if you couldn't hit the floor to take the shot, and had to do it standing or on a knee?

The ACF has a a touch of Elf'n Safety disease. It's supposedly safer to get cadets to fire from the prone at all times. They try to make us do this for blank firing as well, though its not always possible or practical. They try to make it fairly realistic, so the regulations usually get left at the base-camp along with the other cumbersome things we don't need or wish to carry.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
8 February 2013, 22:24,
(8 February 2013, 22:08)Tibbs735 Wrote:
(8 February 2013, 17:16)Scythe13 Wrote:
(8 February 2013, 13:38)Tibbs735 Wrote:

What about if you couldn't hit the floor to take the shot, and had to do it standing or on a knee?

The ACF has a a touch of Elf'n Safety disease. It's supposedly safer to get cadets to fire from the prone at all times. They try to make us do this for blank firing as well, though its not always possible or practical. They try to make it fairly realistic, so the regulations usually get left at the base-camp along with the other cumbersome things we don't need or wish to carry.

There is always a problem with a prone shot,... it is far harder to get your breathing under control when laying on your gut, far better to practice a good steady one knee kneel with the weight on your front leg, this gives you a steady postion and a rest for your front weapon arm
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 February 2013, 22:55,
All joking aside, Highlander, are you going to be able to find time to try that out for me, running n gunning?

When we move, I'll be doing that, but won't be able to get a view of how time away from practive, effects performance.

I remember a friend saying "You're not going to be as good as on a range. But you will be as good as your muscle memory allows." For most people, he said it would take 6 months to get back to 99% of their past best. So expect to be at 70%, at best.

I'm really interested to see how you find the difference in performance after time off.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
8 February 2013, 23:14,
Smile,.. we will see,.... `time off`,...Smile its been about,.... a long time
9 February 2013, 12:30,
Running!!! are you insane S13, or is it the exuberance of youth hehe.

There are two Bulls on a hill overlooking a herd of Cows
The young Bull says
"do you see that nice looking Heifer down there?, lets run down the Hill and do her".
The Old Bull says
"No son, lets walk down and do them all"
9 February 2013, 14:47,
never run when you can walk, never walk when you can sit still, never lie(on damp grass) when you can sit down.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 February 2013, 15:39, (This post was last modified: 9 February 2013, 15:41 by Scythe13.)
(9 February 2013, 14:47)bigpaul Wrote: never run when you can walk, never walk when you can sit still, never lie(on damp grass) when you can sit down.

Never realise you can't run, especially when you need to hall ass!

(9 February 2013, 12:30)Tartar Horde Wrote: Running!!! are you insane S13, or is it the exuberance of youth hehe.

There are two Bulls on a hill overlooking a herd of Cows
The young Bull says
"do you see that nice looking Heifer down there?, lets run down the Hill and do her".
The Old Bull says
"No son, lets walk down and do them all"

That's a lovely story TH.

2 Survivalists walking down the road.
They got shot at.
One says "Quick, run for cover and return fire."
The other replies "I can't do both."
The first answers "I wish I was a lesbian. Damn men."
(made that up on the spot).

To be fair, I think running-n-gunning is a good skill to learn. If you need to get out of somewhere, or get to somewhere and shoot, I'd rather be practiced.

Let's say y

Oops, didn't mean to post too soon.

Let's say that you're out checking your traps. You hear gunshots coming from your BOL. Your wife/husband/kids are in there. You need to run back and shoot at whatever is threatening your family. It's a 1 mile run and you need to shoot accurately at the end of it.
9 February 2013, 16:07,
(9 February 2013, 15:39)Scythe13 Wrote: Never realise you can't run, especially when you need to hall ass!

well i havent run anywhere, not even for a bus since i was 50 odd-i'm now 64 nearly 65, i've got flat feet so was NEVER that good at running anyway-we cant ALL be athlete's!Big Grin in a post SHTF situation you've got to SAVE your stamina and NOT go dashing here, there and everywhere...incidentally thats a good way to get shot!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 February 2013, 20:43, (This post was last modified: 9 February 2013, 20:47 by Scythe13.)
(9 February 2013, 16:07)bigpaul Wrote: well i havent run anywhere, not even for a bus since i was 50 odd-i'm now 64 nearly 65, i've got flat feet so was NEVER that good at running anyway-we cant ALL be athlete's!Big Grin in a post SHTF situation you've got to SAVE your stamina and NOT go dashing here, there and everywhere...incidentally thats a good way to get shot!Tongue
Why can't we all be athletes? When we were kids we were all runners, running around for hours at a time.

Anyway, who said to run all the time? I said about running to save a loved one who is being attacked.

Also, running is a good way to be seen, you're right. But once you are seen, running is a good way to become harder to shoot than sitting still. Staying put just lets the attackers get closer.

I honestly believe that anyone thinking 'skills' will be enough to survive a post SHTF situation, is going to end up dead.

Picture this: You're in the woods, you're spotted and soneone opens fire (shotgun, bow and arrow, whatever). What will you do?
from. Okay w what?
C. Hide...until they find you. You're not Mr/Mrs invisible. If they want, they'll find you. You can't stealthily run away if

Hate replying using my phone!!!

Last post continued.

Shot at in woods...
A. Run away.
B. Hide and hope you're imitation of a rock will make them think they never saw a person.
C. Stealthily slink away...because moving slowly makes you harder to hit.
D. Start burrowing.
E. Hide in a fox-hole you built ages ago, and wait there hoping the person forgets they shot at you?
F. Imitate Abraham Lincoln and have the attacker believe they're dreaming.

No really, what would you do?

Whatabout if your family was under attack?
9 February 2013, 20:57,
(9 February 2013, 15:39)Scythe13 Wrote: To be fair, I think running-n-gunning is a good skill to learn. If you need to get out of somewhere, or get to somewhere and shoot, I'd rather be practiced.

I think you are probably right, it would be a good skill,.. but I spent much of my military life in a recce platoon, where we learnt that evasion is a better skill, we were told that if we had to fire at the enemy, we had made a big mistake

See and not be seen,.. or as my signature says,.. a major part of survival is invisibility